MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

BIG changes in store for the Wisconsin Film Festival

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

BIG changes in store for the Wisconsin Film Festival

Postby jjoyce » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=37674

Unlike at past festivals, no screenings will take place at central-city venues such as the Orpheum Theatre, the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bartell Theatre and Monona Terrace.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: BIG changes in store for the Wisconsin Film Festival

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Wow, that's a lot of venues taken out of the mix. I wonder why MMOCA and the Bartell bailed out.

Except for the old Chazen auditorium, all of the 2013 festival's rooms are permanently equipped to show films.

The Chazen is fully equipped with its new auditorium. They had it there this past spring.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Screenings will take place in both the old and new auditoriums at the Chazen.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:46 pm

The lack of a large venue necessitated these changes, says Jim Healy, the festival's director of programming. The Orpheum's future is uncertain due to ongoing legal problems, and the Wisconsin Union Theater -- another big room that's a festival staple -- is closed for renovations until 2014. The Overture Center is booked until 2014.

"Without the Orpheum as an anchor, we were really concerned about the loss of audiences at other venues downtown," says Healy, who is also UW Cinematheque’s director of programming.

Eric Fleming continues to leave his mark.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Screenings will take place in both the old and new auditoriums at the Chazen.

Aha.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm sad about losing the downtown venues especially the Orpheum, but I'm happy about getting the extra days. There's always a day with two or three films that I want to see all playing at the same time. Hopefully with a longer time period I'll be able to see the films on their second or third showing instead of making those hard decisions. I do hope that they're reserving the Capitol Theater in the Overture for 2014 and will bring back MMOCA, Bartell, and the Monona Terrace. I've gone to see silent films in the Capitol Theater and it's a great venue for seeing movies.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Athena wrote:I do hope that they're reserving the Capitol Theater in the Overture for 2014 and will bring back MMOCA, Bartell, and the Monona Terrace.

From the article: "Unlike at past festivals, no screenings will take place at central-city venues such as the Orpheum Theatre, the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bartell Theatre and Monona Terrace."

Fuck. That.

This year was a disappointment compared to previous years, an unavoidable result of festival-by-committee, I suppose. We'll be all in next year as usual, but I'm sorry to hear this news.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gregoryedits » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 pm

I bus and walk everywhere, so I'm sorry to lose the State Street, Square (Bartell), and Monona Terrace venues. Last year I pretty much boycotted the festival, the web site was so hard to use. Past years, I've attended as many as 15 films in 4 days. You're not making it easier, folks. I thought that, with the super-talented organizing staff, the Festival would only get better, but I was wrong. Not even the films are better. I can get 'em all on Netflix.
gregoryedits

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:14 pm

As another poster said, I'll continue to attend regardless. But removing the walkable, downtown-business-friendly element of the WFF is a huge mistake, in my humble opinion. A 'fest' seems much less festive minus the camaraderie involved in running from venue to venue, grabbing a bite to eat in between shows at whatever restaurant happens to be in best proximity, killing time at one of the coffee shops around the corner from the Orpheum/MMoCA, and/or committing a solid long weekend to just watching movies. Driving back and forth between Sundance and Union South sounds like a drag, and parking is going to be silly. Plus, the WFF is typically a great showcase for alternative venues that don't always show movies (like MMoCA and Bartell). Oh, well. Hopefully it works out in a positive way for them.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm told there may be a shuttle between State Street and Sundance, which would help.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies