MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Hobbit

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Hobbit

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

There's a pretty harsh review over at Salon. Compares it to the "Phantom Menace".

I'll probably see this one, but I'm not particularly looking forward to it.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Hobbit

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 am

If only they had done it this way.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:59 pm

I'll wait for the 30-Second Bunnies version.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 pm

rabble wrote:If only they had done it this way.

Or even better. With cats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2k_EiYh4IU
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm

if Down Down to Goblin Town is not in it, I will be sorely disappointed.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:23 am

I'm taking my nephew to "The Hobbit" some night this week whenever he doesn't have much schoolwork. I'm tempted to opt for the non-3D, non-IMAX if it's available, to avoid any danger of puking in my popcorn.

Any thoughts from those who already saw the movie?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:38 pm

I saw it at Point in the Ultrascreen 3D with the high frames per second. I'd highly recommend seeing it without the high frames per second. It looked odd, just off the entire time and did make me feel a bit queasy. The 3D was good so if there's the option for 3D without the hfps go for that.

As for the movie itself, it does wander a bit and long stretches feel pointless. But there's lovely vistas and the riddles bit with Gollum was wonderfully done. It's good as long as you aren't expecting the epic scope of Lord of the Rings.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:05 pm

I never made it to The Hobbit with my nephew. It seemed like our non-busy nights never quite coincided, but I watched it with him when the DVD came out and he was decidedly unimpressed.

So, for those of you who are tempted to rent this movie but haven't yet... it's fan fiction. Really, if you're into The Lord of the Rings, dungeons and dragons type movies or gothic-type sci-fi like "Game of Thrones", you'll like it. If you aren't into that stuff, skip it. Nothing to see here, or you'll need to wait too long in-between interesting scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved "The Hobbit". But I'm into that stuff, so it's no surprise. But this movie WILL NOT encourage you to watch MORE gothic sci-fi. It's very story driven and the eye-candy you saw in "The Return of the King" is sparse. A reluctant hero and a group of dwarves acting silly is the bulk of the movie.

If you read The Hobbit or have fond memories of the 1970's cartoon, rent the flick. It's a lot of fun. Otherwise, no.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 am

pjbogart wrote:...if you're into The Lord of the Rings, dungeons and dragons type movies or gothic-type sci-fi like "Game of Thrones", you'll like it. If you aren't into that stuff, skip it. Nothing to see here, or you'll need to wait too long in-between interesting scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved "The Hobbit". But I'm into that stuff, so it's no surprise. But this movie WILL NOT encourage you to watch MORE gothic sci-fi. It's very story driven and the eye-candy you saw in "The Return of the King" is sparse. A reluctant hero and a group of dwarves acting silly is the bulk of the movie.

If you read The Hobbit or have fond memories of the 1970's cartoon, rent the flick. It's a lot of fun. Otherwise, no.

Hmmm... I come from the same place of liking this sort of thing as you do, pj, but man oh man did The Hobbit bore me to tears. And I'm confused how you can call this film "story driven" given it's near-complete lack of a story. The special effects didn't hold up to the standards of LOTR, IMO, and to call the pacing glacial would be generous. There is virtually nothing here that I would recommend to anyone, genre fans or not. I wanted to like this so very much -- and yeah, I'll go see the next one anyway -- but jeez... I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:22 am

Maybe once all three films are done, someone can go through and edit them down to a single good movie. Sort of an anti-Director's Cut.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Maybe I liked it because I didn't see it in the theater. Comfy couch, six pack of beer, popcorn and other snacks that didn't cost me as much as a pair of shoes. I thought the first half hour, maybe even the first hour could have been condensed to a short introduction. Yeah, the dwarves are unruly and drunk and messy and Bilbo isn't very eager to join them on their journey. That shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes of film.

Now that I have the blu-ray, though, I can just start watching at about the hour mark and it's a regular movie.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:47 pm

I don't think I've ever hated a director like I hate Peter Jackson. OK- he managed to make three not horrible movies from three long books even if he did leave out some of the best language and even worse 'The scouring of the Shire' which is largely what separated the trilogy from banal fiction- because when you win the war and go home everything really isn't all right. And I can't forgive the dwarf tossing either.
However to then take a much shorter kid's book and make three movies out of it is just hubris- or greed, or something. With the dwarves physically running the gamut from totally human to Gimli style (was he just trying to make up for the shortage of cute guys?)and poor Radagast the Brown turned in to a cartoon character. It just isn't right.
Full disclosure- I own DVDs of all four of these.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies