MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Redbox Finds

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Redbox Finds

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 am

I think the local Redboxes probably have different movies, but assuming that some of the flicks are popular Redbox additions, let people know what you found in the Redbox that was worth watching. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to let us know if you rented a really terrible flick as well.

Tonight I watched Citadel, an Irish Horror flick that was much stronger on emotion than special effects. They certainly made the most of their limited budget, filming the movie in an Irish Cabrini Green. Essentially, it was kind of a zombie flick with a not-terribly-mind-bending twist.

It was definitely worth a $1.25, though. You could do a lot worse in the B-horror department.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Redbox Finds

Postby pjbogart » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 am

Yowsers. I love scary movies, mostly because I don't really find them all that scary. Tonight I watched Sinister which was probably scarier than the last five horror films I've watched combined. Maybe it just struck a nerve with me, maybe I was in the perfect mood for a good scare, but holy crap was this movie scary. I literally feel cold like the movie gave me a freakin' fever.

The movie is listed as having only a $3 million budget on IMDB, yet it stars Ethan Hawke, so I'm not sure how they pulled that one off. Maybe he was doing a favor for a friend. Based upon the budget, I'd call it B-horror, but the production was excellent.

Essentially, a true crimes writer moves himself and his family into a house where some murders took place to do research for his next book. Shit hits fan.

If you like horror movies or psychological thrillers, rent this one. But don't watch it alone, like I did. You may need a hand to hold.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Redbox Finds

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Thread jacking! I was going to make some crack about that title not being available at my redbox, and google sent me on a trip down memory lane.

What a Madison institution! I was last in there, jesus, 30 years ago? I remember it being sleazy, but it looks like they've spiffed-up the joint. Why, I would stroll through that purveyor of finery with me mum.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies