MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Star Wars Episode III: Who Gives a Sith?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

So, Are You Going to See Star Wars III?

Dude, I'm already in line!
17%
Yes, but I'll wait until the hype has passed some.
43%
Don't much care. Might rent it.
7%
Not a chance. Lucas lost me with that Jar-Jar Al Jolson-acting motherfucker.
23%
Star Wars what now?
10%

Total votes : 30

Star Wars Episode III: Who Gives a Sith?

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 18, 2005 11:26 am

If you'd told me as a kid that I'd lose interest in the Star Wars saga, I'd have told you you're nuts. But I did. Never saw episode II, because that nutjob Lucas lost me with the "first" one, which I found patently offensive. Yeah, there were some cool special effects 'n' shit, but to this day I couldn't tell you shit-one about the plot (more like plotz). Something about trade sanctions. Thanks, George. I don't get nearly my fill of such shit on the nightly news, genius.

I hear through the media grapevine that this one is supposed to be good enough to redeem ol' George for past directorial transgressions, but I don't care. Missed the last one and I'll sit this one out too, thanks. Maybe I'll check 'em out when George blows another gasket and releases special edition versions carefully crafted to make them less shitty through the miracle of script revisions and digital hoo-ha.

And don't even get me started on his "improvements" to the old films. The digital "enhancements" to those stick out like a turd on a white sateen sheet.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 18, 2005 11:44 am

The New Yorker's Anthony Lane:
"The general opinion of Revenge of the Sith seems to be that it marks a distinct improvement on the last two episodes, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. True, but only in the same way that dying from natural causes is preferable to crucifixion."

Yes, I will be seeing it. No, I will not be seeing it this weekend.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed May 18, 2005 11:47 am

The best thing about the new Star Wars is the Burger King commercial featuring a breathing contest between Darth Vader and the creepy "Burger King". I saw that and laughed a lot, now I don't have to waste $8 and 2 hours of my time.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 am

Kyle Motor wrote:The best thing about the new Star Wars is the Burger King commercial featuring a breathing contest between Darth Vader and the creepy "Burger King". I saw that and laughed a lot, now I don't have to waste $8 and 2 hours of my time.

And I do enjoy Chewbacca recording those Cingular ringtones.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 18, 2005 12:04 pm

The Phantom Menace was a pile of shit, but then again so was Return of the Jedi. Attack of the Clones was the best movie since The Empire Strikes Back and I'm looking forward to the new movie, but I won't see it until next week... I'll probably catch a matinee midweek to avoid the crowds.

Until then, I'm going to enjoy my sweet catch at the used movie store. "The Fisher King" and "Jacob's Ladder" DVD's for $5.99 each.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed May 18, 2005 12:06 pm

A buddy of mine was so excited he thought it was opening last weekend-we had to patiently explain to him that "starts thurs" means Thursday May 19th-such geeks we are...
Definitely taking the kids, I felt the last couple episodes were trying too hard to be revelant sci-fi -ie: the disolution of democracy parallels whats happening in America now, but never mind- I'm going to see the Wookies.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 18, 2005 12:09 pm

Can't wait.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 18, 2005 12:30 pm

***SPOILER ALERT***

That Skywalker kid becomes Darth Vader.
That guy who looks and sounds just like the Emperor becomes the Emperor.

There I just saved y'all $9
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 18, 2005 12:55 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:The best thing about the new Star Wars is the Burger King commercial featuring a breathing contest between Darth Vader and the creepy "Burger King". I saw that and laughed a lot, now I don't have to waste $8 and 2 hours of my time.

Creepy Burger King is right. Those ads where the guy wakes up and BK is next to him sitting up in bed are disturbing. Same where the guy opens the window shade and BK is just standing there outside the window with his frozen maniacal face.
*shudder*

Love anything with Chewy. Great job with the makeup in that Cingular ad.
I do a passable Wookie impression.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 18, 2005 12:59 pm

supaunknown wrote:Love anything with Chewy.

Really?
Seen A Very Wookie Christmas lately?
http://www.bluntproductions.com/extras/ ... arwars.htm
{shudder}
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed May 18, 2005 1:28 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Really?
{shudder}

You heard me.

I remember that special. It was the kookiest thing since House Calls. C'mon! Chewy's family!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 18, 2005 1:29 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

Really?
{shudder}

I've never seen it, and fervently want to. Do I recall correctly that Lucas et al. have acted strenuously to erase the memory of that broadcast? If so, I wonder why it got made in the first place.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 18, 2005 1:32 pm

I recall something about sexy girl stormtroopers... could that be right? I was only like seven at the time. Maybe eight.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed May 18, 2005 1:47 pm

There was a lot of coke and free money involved in that Wookie production.

I thought it was great at the time, but I also thought BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and THE DUKES OF HAZZARD were great.

So.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed May 18, 2005 2:33 pm

christopher_robin wrote:There was a lot of coke and free money involved in that Wookie production.

I thought it was great at the time, but I also thought BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and THE DUKES OF HAZZARD were great.

So.

You act as if they WEREN'T great. They WERE.

"Just the good ol' boys, never meanin' no harm, Beats all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born"
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Movies