MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Berceau:Boost Beer Tax

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Raising beer tax to support alcohol abuse programs:

Good idea
56%
Bad idea
44%

Total votes : 27

Postby btrapp » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:42 pm

Daisy wrote:The point isn't the amount of the tax, but how politically tone-deaf libs can be sometimes. This is the kind of out-of-touch, bourgeois-nanny shit that makes people vote for Ed Thompson.

The man wasn't even running and he won...

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... /WISCONSIN
btrapp
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:07 pm

Ginny Bormann wrote:Come on people, it's two cents on a six pack!

Yea, the PROPOSED TAX, as it's being hyped by people like Stu, is set at 2 cents... For now.

Think about it, alcohol is EASY to demonize, itââ?¬â?¢s the perfect target for liberal TAX and SPENDERS (To be fair, this group includes many republicans these days). Politician 101 says: When hyping your new quick fix TAX scam, start out at the fundamental level and CREATE a problem in order to justify the TAX. Make sure to include plenty of rare, but HIGHLY emotional, situational incidents relating to societal problems that can be linked to alcohol, no matter how remote the links might be. Throw in a few skewed stats just for kicks and giggles. This stuff works every time because most people arenââ?¬â?¢t paying attention anyway... Kind of like the whole WMD scenario the left justifiably points out to this day when combating the lies of the Bush administration, it was a sham to begin with. Then bam... If the whole concept of the CREATED problem and it's quick fix, the PROPOSED TAX, seems popular and feasible, the PROPOSED TAX all of a sudden increases to 23 cents a six pack. Then 2 years later the slippery slope continues by claiming that the, usually permanent, IMPLEMENTED TAX needs to be increased when politicians need more money to appease their ââ?¬Å?special interest groupsââ?¬? when another property tax increase seems a political black hole. Even if pleasing the ââ?¬Å?special interest groupsââ?¬? has nothing to do with societal problems remotely related to alcohol.

This proposal is just another government sponsored TAX reallocation scam designed to increase state TAX revenues in order to fix their already out of control spending habits and broken budget. Those of us who know you shouldnââ?¬â?¢t beat your wife or get behind the wheel of a car when your drunk donââ?¬â?¢t need to partake in these nonsensical social experiments. If people feel the need to combat alcohol ââ?¬Å?abuse,ââ?¬? not alcohol consumption, they should do it on their own time with their own money, not mine. If I see a car swerving on the beltline at 2:45 in the morning, I call the cops so THEY can do THEIR job... for once.

Drinking alcohol is a CHOICE, and it involves personably responsible actions before and after consuming it.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Daisy wrote:This is the kind of out-of-touch, bourgeois-nanny shit that makes people vote for Ed Thompson.

Precisely. Kinda makes you wonder who's minding the shop.

the REPUBLICRATS, thats who.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:28 am

Instead of putting more tax on beer, why not let the sales of beer go on after 9 pm? Think of all the folks who would go out and buy a 12 pack at 11pm.
Yes, I know you can drive to Vic Pierce but seriously, think of the downtown liquor stores that would make a killing and add big $ to the local tax base.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Tarek » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:20 am

you know back in the 18th century there was a revolution in Bavaria cause the beer prizes were risen for 1 cent. The people occupied the breweries and there were fights in the streets with the army, in the end the gouverment had to order to lower the prizes again, because the breweries are one of the most important (i think even the most of all) of our economy.

Besides 89 it was the only succesful revolution in germany (iirc)
Tarek
Forum Addict

Postby wmd_4_me » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:19 am

fuck berceau.

wisconsin is the LAST state where an increase in beer tax is appropriate.
wmd_4_me
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:36 am

The use of the word "appropriate" in that post is baffling.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:14 am

Did the mean IQ in here just plummet, or am I getting vertigo?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:Did the mean IQ in here just plummet, or am I getting vertigo?
Jimmy Stewart, meet Kim Novak.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:37 pm

Ginny Bormann wrote:
blunt wrote:Ask politician legislator Christian Republican anal-retentive busybodies if we should raise the beer tax and they're all for it.
Ask ME, and I'll fight for my right to party.
Cheap.

Would you classify Therese Berceau as a politician legislator Christian Republican anal-retentive busybody? Just checking.

I tend to speak in sweeping generalisms.
Therese seems like a nice smart person.
But anyone who wants to find ways to legally wreck my fun is a politician legislative anal-retentive busybody.
"Christian anal-retentive busybody" is redundant.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines