MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Star Wars Episode III: Who Gives a Sith?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

So, Are You Going to See Star Wars III?

Dude, I'm already in line!
17%
Yes, but I'll wait until the hype has passed some.
43%
Don't much care. Might rent it.
7%
Not a chance. Lucas lost me with that Jar-Jar Al Jolson-acting motherfucker.
23%
Star Wars what now?
10%

Total votes : 30

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed May 18, 2005 3:43 pm

<waylon>

"Now what Bo didn't know was that Uncle Jessie was pederast and was a-fixin' to jump some holes of his own ... "

</waylon>
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Wed May 18, 2005 5:37 pm

This is the first one of the re-releases or prequels that I'm not seeing on opening day. I don't know when I'll get a chance to see it, actually, and that makes me very sad.

Hell yes I'm a geek. We were early enough in line for ESB that we got limited edition Luke Skywalker action figures - wrong release date on 'em and everything.

I may have had a lightsaber with me.

I'm jaded about how good it'll be, but hope springs eternal.

I also treat my VHS copies of the original versions with extreme care 'cuz they're nearly irreplaceable.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Wed May 18, 2005 8:37 pm

I'm with the old school majority on this one. The new trilogy shouldn't have even been made. Saw The Phantom Menace in the theatre, waited for The Clone Wars to come out on DVD (which by the way the pacing on both flicks were so brutal they almost put me to sleep). I'll probably go see this one in the theatre, but it's no rush.

pj, Revenge Of The Jedi was shit?!? I never knew there were folks out there that were dissatisfied with ROTJ until Episode III drew near and I start reading/hearing people saying, "It's the best one since Empire Strikes Back."
F**k me Return Of The Jedi was shit, Return Of The Jedi was spectacular just as the previous two. Where else are you gonna find Jabba, The Rancor, Speeder Bikes, and the ultimate light saber duel between dark and light forces?
I remember Siskel & Ebert giving Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom two thumbs down. Well I loved that movie too, a bit different than the other two but still great in it's own right.

As far as The Sith Wars go, I have much higher expectations for Indiana Jones 4, even though by the time it's filmed Harrison won't be able to crack a whip without having his back readjusted.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed May 18, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 18, 2005 8:45 pm

I don't much care for the new effects tacked onto the original trilogy either. It just doesn't fit and having grown accustomed to the way things were, the new sequences stick out like Greedo's fingers.

There are those out there that produce & sell Laserdisc transfer's of the original (unenhanced) trilogy on DVD. For the die-hard old-school fans of the originals, that'd be the way to go. Not as crisp as a full-on remaster, but a sure step up from VHS.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Felgercarb!

Postby Marvell » Wed May 18, 2005 10:45 pm

christopher_robin wrote:I thought it was great at the time, but I also thought BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and THE DUKES OF HAZZARD were great.

To quote John Travolta from The Devil's Rain - "Get him! He is a blasphemer!!!"

Without even getting into the Wopat factor, the whole lunatic cornpone bullshit vibe of D.O.H. was like a sanitized version of a Joe Bob Briggs column come to life. It may have been the only 'comedy' in history to be funny because it was so shitty.

And to suggest that B.S.G. wasn't great is a total load of frack. What about the card game with <gasp!> round cards! ('It must be the future!') What about being much cooler than Star Wars by having Jayne Kennedy not being the only woman in space, and having her actually killing people and shit?

Dirk Benedict (later a contestant on Fox's reality hit Who'll Fuck a Pig)? Lorne fucking Greene?

You want crappy 70's sci-fi, try Supertrain or Buck Rogers or some such shit. B.S.G. was OG, foo.

Though in defense of Buck Rogers, some production designer - under the influence of ludes and poppers, no doubt - had the great good sense to make the adorable robot sidekick look unmistakeably like a perambulating phallus.

Plus Erin Gray was pretty hot in her skin-tight space duds (rumor has it these are now in Beck's possession).
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Wed May 18, 2005 11:44 pm

supaunknown wrote:Creepy Burger King is right. Those ads where the guy wakes up and BK is next to him sitting up in bed are disturbing. Same where the guy opens the window shade and BK is just standing there outside the window with his frozen maniacal face.
*shudder*

I totally love those commercials, they crack me up every time I see them. Burger King must have a new ad agency because their commercials are really good these days. Unlike their food unfortunately for them. My friend calls them the John Kerry commercials because she says the King dude looks like Kerry.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu May 19, 2005 1:51 am

On opening weekend I played a show with my band Boba Fettish and then went to see Da Phantom Menace with my band mates. I could not believe how dull it was, how bad the acting was, etc etc and then I realized that Lucas was counting on my support for this but it didn't really matter what I thought since it was going to be a huge hit. Star Wars was pretty damn good when I was seven years old, I'm guessing the umpeenth dvd viewing of PM by current seven year olds works as well.

I also thought of a great band name while watching PM:
The Phantom Man's Ass
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu May 19, 2005 9:20 am

Saw a snippet of a Lucas interview last night on one of the retard local news channels. He was yammering on about how he had to wait for technology to catch up with his creative vision to do the prequel trilogy.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, you bloated little Ewok-lookin' jackass.

Then he drones on about how he was never satisfied with the originals. "So I went back and fixed 'em," he spouts from beneath his hideous wig helmet.

Yeah, fixed like you'd fix a cat, I guess.

What a fuckin' tool.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu May 19, 2005 10:39 am

I loved the Simpson's episode that spoofed the Phantom Menace. It was just aliens talking about trade contracts and proposals and alliances. Bart is so pissed he goes to find Lucas and get his money back.

I agree that Lucas is to the point that he thinks anything he throws out there is stunning. Perhaps he needs some poor, newly graduated students with visions to enhance what's going on.

When I saw posters for Sith, I thought, "What's up with Anakin's mullet?" Last time I saw a hairstyle like that, it was on Richard Marx. (Hooolld on to the niiiiigghhht...circa 1989..)

That, and I thought of the endless movie dialogue the teenage boys in my martial arts school are going to subject me to.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu May 19, 2005 10:55 am

The new one is getting rave reviews from friends that hated eps 1 and 2.

apparently the acting is still uneven, but that's been the case for all of 'em.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 19, 2005 5:47 pm

christopher_robin wrote:The new one is getting rave reviews from friends that hated eps 1 and 2.

apparently the acting is still uneven, but that's been the case for all of 'em.

I've heard the same from two midnighters. Palpatine and Samuel S. Jackson are apparently a joy to watch, but Darth Fratboy remains perhaps the poorest casting decision in movie making history.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MLE » Thu May 19, 2005 5:58 pm

Though I wasn't planning on it, I ended up seeing it last night. Yes, at midnit. In line. Rain. Watching people's face paint run, and soggy light sabre battles.

Actually, I won tickets by doing WJJO's Fake at Eight. Pretending to have an orgasm on air got me to the premiere, the Beastie Boys, and an Ozz Fest. Usually, it just gets me breakfast..

Anyways, I was pleasantly suprised. Great opening scene. Sentimental closing one. Good visuals - though I miss the Muppets, man. Jabba as CGI is so, so sad - especially in the "retouched" original trilogy. Wookiee army. Violence. Little geeky hints, clues and homages that I wish I didn't get.

In short, George Lucas is trying to kiss and make up, after fucking up with the last two. He can come back, but he's sleeping on the couch...
MLE
Forum Addict

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu May 19, 2005 7:09 pm

The last flick was sooooo painfully boring and below average, I fell asleep half way through the flick. Seriously. NO, I won't be wasting my hard earned money on this installment of cultural mediocrity.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri May 20, 2005 8:12 am

Has any one seen it yet?
The wife heard an interview with Lucas where he says it is far too violent for small children. Typically we disagree about how much violence is approriate to expose the kiddies too. She tends to feel that any violence is too much, while I feel most kids (and my own in particular) are sophisticated enough to to know that a fantasy movie is just that.
We watched The Fellowship of the Rings on DVD without it resulting in nightmares or even an increase in swordplay around the house.
Oddly I grew up totally sheltered from anything scary so when I did first see The Blob or Godzilla at about age 6- I was so traumatized and freaked out I had to leave the room.
So I suppose I actually feel some exposure or even desentization is not neccesarily a bad thing.
At this point it looks like we might be holding out for "Madagascar" next week.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri May 20, 2005 8:35 am

My friend Steve interviewed Lucas and Lucas said "don't bring kids." Which he dismissed as hype.

But then Steve saw the film, and he said that it is HARDCORE, with multiple decapitations, brutal torture scene--very violent.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies