MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, August 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

covering our ass: copyright & the cover band

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

which of these cartoon themes would you like to hear the most?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:22 am

magilla gorilla
25%
the archies
25%
thundercats
25%
NERD ALERT !!!
25%

Total votes : 12

covering our ass: copyright & the cover band

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:22 am

Our fun little group, the OuttaToons, is a cartoon cover band. We have a few questions & concerns about what we can and can't do with the songs we've been rehearsing. Maybe y'all can help us out.

Can we play these songs for an audience? A paying audience? Does ASCAP need a cut of our take? Who pays them and how?

Can we record our versions of the songs? Distribute them for free?

Are we the sexiest, hard-drinkingest, bestest cartoon cover band in the midwest that you've never heard or seen?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:26 am

the only time you need to pay royalties is when you record a song and plan to sell copies of it

I vote for Magilla Gorilla, by the way
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:35 am

AJ Wopner wrote:the only time you need to pay royalties is when you record a song and plan to sell copies of it.
So we can distribute some freebie CDs of our recorded versions of songs to people without fearing legal reprisal?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:48 am

Live music venues all pay (or are supposed to, at least) ASCAP and BMI "protection money" to cover any covers a cover band might cover (everybody get that?). So as far as public performance goes, you've got no worries.

As for freebie distribution, it may be more of a gray area, but I can't imagine anyone will come down on you. The worst that could come of such a thing, I'd think, would be a cease and desist letter, which, if I had anything to do with it, would be promptly framed and prominently displayed in the practice hole.

You go, Gorilla ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:06 pm

supaunknown wrote:
AJ Wopner wrote:the only time you need to pay royalties is when you record a song and plan to sell copies of it.
So we can distribute some freebie CDs of our recorded versions of songs to people without fearing legal reprisal?

indubutedly this would be true...no legal reprisal....giving away free copies is the same as giving a demo to someone, no royalties need be paid on demos either....for extra protection and peace of mind, you could put "FREE CD", or "FOR PROMO PURPOSES ONLY" on the CD itself

sincerely,

Mr Wopner :)
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pedro » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:04 pm

[Our fun little group, the OuttaToons, is a cartoon cover band.

I'm intrigued. What exactly do you play?
Pedro
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:48 pm

Pedro wrote:I'm intrigued. What exactly do you play?
We're a quintet consistenting of:

Prof Wagstaff - vocals
rrnate - keyboard
supaunknown - bass
Ler - drums
Timbot - guitar

We're attempting to learn music from a variety of cartoon sources which may include:
cartoon theme songs
South Park
Simpsons
Schoolhouse Rock
Brak
Family Guy
Disney
Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies
and so on...

It's been a challenge in that each (usually 30 sec.) "toon" is usually a convoluted bear to figure out. We have been pretty consistent on practicing once-a-week and trying to learn at least one new song per session. I think our playable setlist is somewhere in the mid-teens right now. Yeesh, why couldn't we be a Stooges cover band instead?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sparkleandfade » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:48 pm

Although it isn't a cartoon.. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is hands down the best theme music of all time.

Go go power rangers!
sparkleandfade
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music