MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Star Wars Episode III: Who Gives a Sith?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

So, Are You Going to See Star Wars III?

Dude, I'm already in line!
17%
Yes, but I'll wait until the hype has passed some.
43%
Don't much care. Might rent it.
7%
Not a chance. Lucas lost me with that Jar-Jar Al Jolson-acting motherfucker.
23%
Star Wars what now?
10%

Total votes : 30

Postby Crow » Fri May 20, 2005 8:52 am

The last 20 minutes or so are not for little kids. I'm not familiar with the workings of the kid mind, so I dunno what the cutoff would be -- 8, 9, 10, whatever. For comparison's sake, certain scenes are far more intense and violent than anything in the Lord of the Rings movies.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby GenieU » Fri May 20, 2005 8:55 am

Crow wrote:The last 20 minutes or so are not for little kids. I'm not familiar with the workings of the kid mind, so I dunno what the cutoff would be -- 8, 9, 10, whatever. For comparison's sake, certain scenes are far more intense and violent than anything in the Lord of the Rings movies.

Yeah, I'm thinking that it will have to wait. Political allegory is not for children.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon May 23, 2005 12:35 pm

It was bad. It MAY have been slightly better than the previous two, but it was certainly not as good as return of the jedi. The dialogue was terrible. The characters were totally unbelievable - the only character whose actions made any sense in context of the character was obi-wan. Did I mention the dialogue was terrible?

Although not as bad as a few scenes from ep 2, there was a really fake-looking part of the plot involving obi-wan riding a monster. But as I said, it's nowhere near as fake as the scene with anakin on some beast during the "romance" scenes in episode 2.

Basically, this is the movie where lucas knew he had to get from point A (current storyline) to point B (original storyline) and he basically chose arbitrary and nonsense plot points to get there.

Blech.

If you want to see quality star wars stuff, watch the micro-series Clone Wars that was on Cartoon Network (and is available for free on their site). That stuff is wayyyyy better than the movies, despite being 3-4 minute episodes and animated.

It's a sad thing when I look back fondly on the 2nd and 3rd matrix in comparison to something... and that is the case here.

By the way, it's funny that christopher robin mentioned battlestar galactica, because the new series of that is REALLY good. It is one of the best science fiction shows ever on television... and certainly better than these star wars films. I HIGHLY recommend the new BSG. The mini series was not great, but the regular series is very good. True science fiction - very intellectual, artistic, philosophical. Great show.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Mon May 23, 2005 8:36 pm

aw man. We just saw and while agree that Lucas can't write dialog for shit, I loved it.

The question I'm posing to my fellow geeks: remember how in Jedi Leia mentions that she remembers her mom, she died very young, was sad and beautiful, etc.? Doesn't it seem like that should refer to Padme and not Bail Organa's wife?

edit: I suppose that's a spoiler in some way but fuck it, I'm drunk and I don't care.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby DrAwkward » Tue May 24, 2005 12:57 pm

Ya know, as bad as the dialogue was, and as easy as it is to objectively say "this movie is nowhere near as good as even Jedi," i found myself thoroughly enjoying the movie and having a great time. Until the last 10 minutes. As soon as she lost the will to live, i was slapping myself in the head in the theater. I'm still trying to figure out just how it's that possible to completely fuck up a movie in the last 10 minutes like that.

Last night my girlfriend and i watched Empire, and you know...it's not that the dialogue is THAT much better than in the prequels, but it is more clever, and the actors are delivering the lines like they mean them. Shit, they're even acting when they're not saying anything! It's crazy!
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 24, 2005 5:39 pm

Ok, I've now officially seen the movie and I guess I have to echo some other DP reviews. The acting was at times so poor that I felt embarrassed for the movie. Some things just seemed so forced or out of place or just plain spoken with little emotion, or in worst case scenarios, simply the wrong emotion altogether. Fortunately, the acting wasn't what was needed to hold the film together.

Is there a reason that Lucas seemed to put absolutely no effort into making Anakin's switch to the dark side remotely believable/understandable? It was just... "hey, hey, I'm a bad guy now! Voila!" Oh, and Darth Vader should have kept his mouth shut... Darth Fratboy doing his best James Earl Jones impersonation made me start giggling and I hardly think Lucas was shooting for my funny bone.

Unbelievably, despite my disdain for the dialogue and acting, I really enjoyed the movie. Some of the special effects were spectacular and it's not really something that your television can do justice to (if you were planning to wait for the DVD). It's very possible that the first 15 minutes of the movie officially qualify as "best space battle" of all time. Overall, I enjoyed it... it was definitely better than The Phantom Menace... maybe better than Attack of the Clones, but not better than any of the three originals.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue May 24, 2005 7:39 pm

Can some geek out there verify that Lucas had nine to twelve chapters, originally?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 24, 2005 9:16 pm

I thought nine, but they're calling this the final installment, so I don't know.

Anakin finally fulfills the prophecy of bringing balance back to the force when he tosses the emporer into the abyss at the end of "The Return of the Jedi." I suppose that's the logical conclusion of the series.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Wed May 25, 2005 8:51 am

pjbogart wrote: Oh, and Darth Vader should have kept his mouth shut... Darth Fratboy doing his best James Earl Jones impersonation made me start giggling and I hardly think Lucas was shooting for my funny bone.

Um, that actualy WAS James Earl Jones. I mean, it was still giggle-inducing, but that was no impression.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Wed May 25, 2005 8:56 am

DrAwkward wrote:Um, that actualy WAS James Earl Jones. I mean, it was still giggle-inducing, but that was no impression.

I can't remember what he said. What I *heard* was "This... is CNN"
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 25, 2005 9:01 am

DrAwkward wrote:
pjbogart wrote: Oh, and Darth Vader should have kept his mouth shut... Darth Fratboy doing his best James Earl Jones impersonation made me start giggling and I hardly think Lucas was shooting for my funny bone.

Um, that actualy WAS James Earl Jones. I mean, it was still giggle-inducing, but that was no impression.

Are you sure? Has he suffered a stroke or something?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby guacamole » Wed May 25, 2005 3:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Can some geek out there verify that Lucas had nine to twelve chapters, originally?

Yeah, there's 9. Lucas says he doesn't have the energy to make the final three, which would come after Jedi. Timothy Zahn wrote a triology of books (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) that are rumored to be based on Lucas's ideas, but who knows. They're decent additions to the expanded universe if you're into that sort of thing.
guacamole
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 25, 2005 5:44 pm

Thanks. I thought I'd heard 9 around the time Empire came out. About a year or two ago, I saw Mark Hamill interviewed. He said he'd love to play a Ben Kenobe part in which he hands over "Excaliber" That sounds cool to me. I raised boys and we just watch it all for fun. Empire is our favorite and a little Yoda sits on the company truck's dashboard.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu May 26, 2005 3:00 pm

pjbogart wrote:Are you sure? Has he suffered a stroke or something?

100% sure. It's been reported for years that Jones had signed for a brief speaking role in Ep. III, and imdb.com confirms it was him.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Fri May 27, 2005 12:15 pm

I enjoyed it better than Jedi but not as much as Empire. I actually felt like I saw a Star Wars movie unlike Menace and Clones. Yeah, acting is bad but the action sequences make up for it and the overall theme is very very dark. Anakin does some pretty disturbing things during his fall into the dark side. I wish they would have expounded more on the Wookie planet and battles though. That would have been better than the dragged out love story between Anakin and Padme IMO. Overall it was good to see that Lucas managed to bring back a lot of the original vibe of the first trilogy with this one. You also have to admit that Sith does a good job of tying the trilogies together, storywise.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies