MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

LIVESTRONG!--Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Do you still wear a LIVESTRONG! bracelet?

Of course! Let's rally to show our support!
5%
That fad ended alreay
11%
No, I would never consider it.
63%
What's a LIVESTRONG! bracelet?
21%

Total votes : 19

LIVESTRONG!--Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France

Postby universitylad » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:32 am

Does Lance Armstrong wear his own LIVESTRONG! bracelets whilst out and about? My brother thinks he probably will not wear it whilst riding in the Tour because of aerodynamic concerns.

Has the US Postal Service backed out of supporting TEAM USA? Or have they just found a different sponsor?
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: LIVESTRONG!--Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France

Postby mrak » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 am

universitylad wrote:Has the US Postal Service backed out of supporting TEAM USA? Or have they just found a different sponsor?

The USPS let its sponsorship agreement expire last year. As a government-owned monopoly, it had long faced criticism for engaging in a sports sponsorship activity that is ulimately paid for through the cost of its services. (Though that practice is, of course, commonplace in the private sector.)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:38 am

I won't wear any dopey bracelet. If folks feel that strongly about needing a band tagged on their body to have an opinion I suggest they get a steel plate implanted in their ass so they can slap a fucking ribbon magnet on to show their support for other things.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:58 pm

Twinner wrote:...I suggest they get a steel plate implanted in their ass so they can slap a fucking ribbon magnet on to show their support for other things.

Scary, but I think there may actually be a viable market for that. At the very least it'd be good for some amusement when going through airport security.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boone » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:00 pm

Twinner wrote:I won't wear any dopey bracelet. If folks feel that strongly about needing a band tagged on their body to have an opinion I suggest they get a steel plate implanted in their ass so they can slap a fucking ribbon magnet on to show their support for other things.

Maybe a 'You got cancer' statement from your doctor would change your mind about people raising money to find a cure, but I'm probably wrong once again.
boone
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:57 pm

i'm not against the raising money, but am against the whole rubber bracelet mentality. i see all these folk with a virtual tourniquet of rainbow caring wrapped around their wrist and wonder if they thought or continue to think beyond the gesture. it seems so trendy and insincere, and such a powerful statement: "wow, you're against cancer? really??" or are we just supposed to be impressed with that $5.00 donation?
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

To each his own

Postby suburban_moron » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:42 pm

skrattypants wrote:i'm not against the raising money, but am against the whole rubber bracelet mentality. i see all these folk with a virtual tourniquet of rainbow caring wrapped around their wrist and wonder if they thought or continue to think beyond the gesture. it seems so trendy and insincere, and such a powerful statement: "wow, you're against cancer? really??" or are we just supposed to be impressed with that $5.00 donation?

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:29 pm Post subject: To each his own

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say what you will about the braclets being trendy and all, but you have to admire the amount of $$ it has raised for cancer reasearch and hospice.

Everyone has their own reason for buying them. I bought a dozen and gave half to neices and nephews in an effort to educate and with hopes they may become interested in cycling and the other to a group of friends who endured together watching a close friend struggle and succumb to a particularly harsh form of cancer.

I honestly wish Lance had retired from cycling last season. Now the media circus is just that...obnoxious and a bit too much to take.

Then maybe people wouldn't have such misconceptions as USPS sponsored Team USA in the Tour. People might know that only two Americans are riding the Tour on Team Discovery (fka USPS).

Too bad the media has so ultra refined the story that all most people will remember is cancer survivor won a few races in France, dated Cheryl Crow and sold a buttload of yellow bracelets.

It's a shame most will never know the pleasure of cycling as an adult, the beauty and strategy of a bike race, and the monumental accomplishments of so many Americans in cycling over the past few years.
suburban_moron
Forum Addict

Postby Learned » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:54 pm

I always get a nice chuckle when I see one of my co-workers on her smoke break, puffing away while the yellow bracelet dangles just below the cig.
Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby suburban_moron » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:58 pm

Learned wrote:I always get a nice chuckle when I see one of my co-workers on her smoke break, puffing away while the yellow bracelet dangles just below the cig.

Maybe you should let her know that the bracelets won't prevent/cure cancer...

Wait get Chuck Schick to do it...he could say it with a touch of grace and the somber tone needed when approaching such a subject...
suburban_moron
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:58 am

universitylad wrote:Does Lance Armstrong wear his own LIVESTRONG! bracelets whilst out and about? My brother thinks he probably will not wear it whilst riding in the Tour because of aerodynamic concerns.

The Discovery Team jerseys have a yellow band at the bottom of the left sleeve, an aerodynamic nod to Livestrong.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:08 am

Damn, somebody got whacked by the grumpy stick, huh?

Armstrong wears a bracelet often, even if not always on the bike. I've seen him wear it in road portions of the Tour, if not during time trials when the riders get all space age.

And his team is hardly Team USA (in fact, Americans race for several other international teams). It's an international crew of riders put together specifically because of their dominance in several different styles of riding. Hincapie might be an American, but I think all others are from Europe.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:12 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines