8%
Yeah but not here in Madison
15%
Is there a video?
38%

Total votes : 13

Lesbian versus Gay Cruising

Postby statz » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:19 pm

I am taking a women's study class at the UW this summer and for my final project I have chosen Cruising as the topic. Here is my opening paragraph from my accepted proposal.

"For my final project I would like to take on the difference between Gay Men and Lesbian Women in regards to ââ?¬Å?cruisingââ?¬? or anonymous encounters. Sexual freedom and liberation is a major part of the Womenââ?¬â?¢s Movement but you rarely hear about Lesbians being busted for having public sex. A lot about Gay cruising is covered in popular media and society but I donââ?¬â?¢t hear about Lesbian cruising. Do Lesbians have promiscuous sex in parks or truck stops late at night? Do they meet on sites like gay.com with married women looking for homosexual encounters? If not why is that? What are the differences between homosexual men and women in regards to this?"

I need feedback on this and I know everyone here loves to post their opinions. All repsonses are important for my paper even if you think this is a stupid topic. This is for real, it is not a joke.

Thank you!!!
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:33 pm

I'm not exactly sure about your question, but I would think it would be interesting to compare women cruising for men to women cruising for women to see if there is a difference. I don't really understand why you would lump men and women together based on their sexual preferences for a women's studies class. Seems like an excuse to talk about reputed promiscuous male gay culture. That's just my opinion though.

I think you'd sidestep some of the biological/hormonal issues and perhaps gain more insight into women if you concentrated on women and their chosen partners altogether. You could find out the habits of MOST women in a specific age range to find out how women in general treat sexual partners, and then break it down into sexual preference from there to see if you find a significant difference between the two groups.

Not being a confidant to any homosexuals whatsoever and few women at all, unfortunately beyond that suggestion I have nothing to add. Sorry.

**edit: Bleh just realized you said "accepted" proposal. Heh. Reading comprehension is your friend. Sorry again lol. Good luck!
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:09 am

Yeah there are other topics regarding women I could have chosen. But I was looking for something that hasn't been done over and over again.
There was a lot more to my proposal but posting the whole thing would guide the responses too much and that is not what I am looking for.

Thanks for the first response!
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:02 pm

After conducting several personal interviews I am ready for my paper.
It turns out some gay women do cruise but not so much in Madison. It appears that Chicago has a healthy environment for Lesbian cruising but not here. Women for the most part are not as obvious or promiscuous as the average gay man about dating, or at least that is the common impression. But many are interested in meeting women for more than just talk and coffee. But if you live here that can be a difficult thing to do.

From my interviews the same topic came up with almost each woman I talked with. There are no good women bars in Madison. There are mostly gay men bars where gay women can go but they are not really lesbian bars. Gay women in Madison need their own big club where the place is focused on them and it is women dominated 7 days a week. There have been lesbian bars in Madison from time to time but they were little holes where the same old clich�©s hung out. Women need a nice big open club with women staffing the place and focusing and their own events.
Apparently Madison is full of clich�©s and it is hard for a single Lesbian to get out and meet other women in a safe and friendly environment.
We have a large gay community but for night life and dating it is focused mostly on gay men. I could not find one gay woman who could name a singles site that is used in Madison by the Lesbian community as a common meeting spot that would be the equivalent of gay.com for men.
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lunatic fringe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:17 pm

that's interesting

I have several lesbian friends who visit me from out of town on a regular basis. They love it here and tell me so all the time. I always have to take them to A Room Of One's Own, but hey the coffee there is excellent. They say they feel confident to express themselves without fear of bad things about to happen (like Las Vegas, for example, according to them, that is not the best place to be lesbian).

I know a bunch of lesbians in town who are living terrific lifestyles and have long happy monogomus (Oh my God, I don't know how to spell that! Don't tell my spouse) relationships. Some of them are very old (like in their 80s) Apparently it's good to be gay in Madison. I see nothing wrong with that.

Good luck with your paper.

There used to be a lesbian bar on E. Wash, I forget the name, but it was near the old Kohls.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:55 pm

lunatic fringe wrote:that's interesting

I have several lesbian friends who visit me from out of town on a regular basis. They love it here and tell me so all the time. I always have to take them to A Room Of One's Own, but hey the coffee there is excellent. They say they feel confident to express themselves without fear of bad things about to happen (like Las Vegas, for example, according to them, that is not the best place to be lesbian).

I know a bunch of lesbians in town who are living terrific lifestyles and have long happy monogomus (Oh my God, I don't know how to spell that! Don't tell my spouse) relationships. Some of them are very old (like in their 80s) Apparently it's good to be gay in Madison. I see nothing wrong with that.

Good luck with your paper.

There used to be a lesbian bar on E. Wash, I forget the name, but it was near the old Kohls.

Yeah the bar on East Wash did come up, I forget its name now also. But I got alot of negative feedback on it. The New Bar when it had women's night got the most positive compliments but still fell short of what they have in larger cities.
Some of the women I interviewed are in long term relationships and they have no need for night life as a venue for meeting women for sex or parternship. But just like in the gay male community not everyone is the same situation.
I suppose coming from Las Vegas or Wausau this must look like heaven but the responses I got from people who are familiar with Chicago was that Madison falls short of its claims. A Room of One's Own is nice but what if you want to go out and get your groove on?
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:26 pm

I would consider the fact that there is no equivalent to gay.com in the Lesbian community as a good thing.
Last edited by ShaneDog on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:37 pm

statz wrote:
lunatic fringe wrote:There used to be a lesbian bar on E. Wash, I forget the name, but it was near the old Kohls.

Yeah the bar on East Wash did come up, I forget its name now also. But I got alot of negative feedback on it.

It was called CE's. I covered it in Isthmus a few years back in a roundup of gay nightspots. Here's what I wrote:

CE's (2415 Winnebago St.) caters primarily to lesbians. Like the Barracks, it's an intimate space -- barely the size of a two-car garage.

When we stop by the east side establishment on a recent Saturday night, the live "Grand Ole Opry" broadcast is on the big-screen TV, and the bar is crowded. Packers regalia adorns the walls. The drink of choice is beer on tap. We make new friends immediately. Anne Murray's "Just Another Woman In Love" comes on the jukebox, and everyone joins in.

"I never wanted a huge place," says CE's owner, Cheryl Vigdal. She's content to keep a low profile: "We don't do any advertising." She feels connected to Madison's gay community, though, and happily hangs AIDS Network flyers when organizers bring them. "They keep me stocked with free condoms," she notes wryly.

On a recent weekday afternoon, Vigdal has the TV tuned to Country Music Television. She nods at mention of the Opry broadcast and the Anne Murray song. "I do like country," she says. "Sometimes people get upset."

Vigdal opened CE's 4 1/2 half years ago. She comes from four generations of bar owners, and after a nine-year factory stint, she knew it was time to get back to the family business.

The neighborhood is home to Vigdal -- she's a graduate of Madison East High School. CE's address is where Cathy Dethmers proposes to build the successor to O'Cayz Corral, Madison's late, lamented music club. Vigdal shrugs at the news. "My owners have not informed me of anything," she says.

And if Dethmers moves in? "I'll probably open up somewhere else."
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lunatic fringe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:11 pm

statz wrote:I suppose coming from Las Vegas or Wausau this must look like heaven but the responses I got from people who are familiar with Chicago was that Madison falls short of its claims. A Room of One's Own is nice but what if you want to go out and get your groove on?
The lesbian friends I'm speaking live in Seattle and San Francisco. Not Wausau or LVNV. Is Wausau lesbi-friendly?

From my experience, I'm guessing Lesbian's aren't always wanting to get their anonymous sex grove on. I've been around that culture a lot and just don't see a comparison between the male gay.com glory hole requests and lesbian life. Good luck with that, though.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby svetlana_banana » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:02 pm

Apparently Madison is full of clich�©s

When discussing this in your paper, I recommend you call them cliques, as in

clique ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klk, klk)
n. A small exclusive group of friends or associates

rather than

cli�·ch�© ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kl-sh)
n. A trite or overused expression or idea

8)
svetlana_banana
Forum Addict

Postby statz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:46 pm

svetlana_banana wrote:
Apparently Madison is full of clich�©s

When discussing this in your paper, I recommend you call them cliques, as in

clique ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klk, klk)
n. A small exclusive group of friends or associates

rather than

cli�·ch�© ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kl-sh)
n. A trite or overused expression or idea

8)

Good point, my spell check is in need of correction. Thanks!
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:47 pm

lunatic fringe wrote:
statz wrote:I suppose coming from Las Vegas or Wausau this must look like heaven but the responses I got from people who are familiar with Chicago was that Madison falls short of its claims. A Room of One's Own is nice but what if you want to go out and get your groove on?
The lesbian friends I'm speaking live in Seattle and San Francisco. Not Wausau or LVNV. Is Wausau lesbi-friendly?

From my experience, I'm guessing Lesbian's aren't always wanting to get their anonymous sex grove on. I've been around that culture a lot and just don't see a comparison between the male gay.com glory hole requests and lesbian life. Good luck with that, though.

Your lesbian friends from San Fran - the gay man's capital?! Yeah OK thanks.
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby left coast » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:40 pm

statz wrote:Your lesbian friends from San Fran - the gay man's capital?! Yeah OK thanks.
Is that a dis?

I suggest you get around the block a few times before you write the final copy. San Francisco (by the way, locals hate it when you call it "San Fran"), and it's by no means a "man's" capital,who are you kidding? I'm taking a wild guess and betting the farm you've never been there. Yeah,OK,you're welcome, not.

Taking another wild guess and betting you get a C minus on the paper.
left coast

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:37 pm

OMG this thread is totally hot.

Of course lesbians go cruising. You've seen the commercials where girls practially go wild on spring break, haven't you? Will nothing stop the magical zest of rabid, unleashed female sexuality?
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby statz » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:51 am

left coast wrote:
statz wrote:Your lesbian friends from San Fran - the gay man's capital?! Yeah OK thanks.
Is that a dis?

I suggest you get around the block a few times before you write the final copy. San Francisco (by the way, locals hate it when you call it "San Fran"), and it's by no means a "man's" capital,who are you kidding? I'm taking a wild guess and betting the farm you've never been there. Yeah,OK,you're welcome, not.

Taking another wild guess and betting you get a C minus on the paper.

Yes I've been there, and it was meant to be a joke and a dis. I love the "I know the gay life style, I have friends from San Fran."
This is similar to one of the interviews I had with a lesbian and her straight girlfriend. Every time I'd try to ask a question the straight girl would interject and ramble on about how the lesbian life style is. After much eye rolling I'd eventually get the answer from the gay woman. It got so obnoxious they had to excuse themselves but at least I did get some good info from the real gay woman in spite of the wanna-be's babblings. Interestingly enough I found that gay men and straight women who I discussed this with had the same stereotypical feelings about lesbians. The straight guy up above (I think Beer Moon is a straight guy?)who answered this thread first was the closest to the responses I got from actual lesbians.
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All