MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sound off! pro-snow or no-snow?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Do you like snow?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:36 am

Thats why I got the Hummer!
50%
Not In My Backyard!
50%

Total votes : 16

Sound off! pro-snow or no-snow?

Postby lonesomejohnny » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:36 am

Personally I like the new look of the new coat of paint that madison got today! Not that it has any effect, but whaddya all think about the snow situation in wisconsin?
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Yeti » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:26 am

Are you talking about Peruvian marching powder? (Your poll questions still make perfect sense if you are!) I'm not really into it. I just like the way it smells.

If you're talking about what the newsmonkeys on Fox 47 refer to as "the white stuff" then no, I don't much care for it.
Yeti

Postby Paco » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:26 am

i wouldn't mind it but i own a house, corner lot with sidewalks. If I didn't I'd spend a winter month in the Carribean.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:38 am

It's kinda nice. I've got one big window facing east roughly over old houses and trees. Might get one of those day-light bulbs. I'm not that crazy about a lot of big blizzards but I did take Roadkill's advice and stock up on a lot of stuff (I could wash clothes til next Spring!) But I'm most pleased that the lined snow boots I bought are comfy and warm. The bars and cafes inbetween my stops are inviting. I don't wanna get Cabin Fever working in a home office :wink:
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donna Summer » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:31 am

I like snow, but I don't have a hummer. It's ole Madison metro for me.
Donna Summer
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:33 pm

I absolutely love snow, and I wish we got more of it in Madison. Then again, I didn't grow up with snowy winters. My typical California Christmas as a kid was in the mid-60's and if I got something like a bike for Christmas, I could actually go out and ride it that afternoon.

I only made my first snowman last year. What a deprived childhood I had.

The days are just as short in California, and they get crappy cold wet rainy weather for months on end. If it is 48 degrees and raining, nobody wants to go for a hike. If it's 28 degrees and snowing, a hike is fantastic.

Oh, and I don't see what getting a blowjob has to do with snow...the poll answers needed more thought, I guess.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:03 pm

Poll Results: More Polling needed

I'm all for option #3.

You know, the one we discussed, LJ?
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby curiouslystrong » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:00 pm

Wisconsin winters are one of the reasons I may never leave this state. Was I the only one walking around on Wednesday night with a big grin on my face?

One might say "Well, you won't be too happy come February after three months of cold, sunless winter with snow."

Well, I've never been a fan of August either. Like that friend on your couch, most things eventually wear out their welcome.
curiouslystrong
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:45 pm

I love it too. I was out scraping the ice off my car windows this morning half asleep and suddenly it started to feel good -- the moving around, the fresh air, the clean coldness. I got all happy, thinking "I still like it!" Once it gets good and cold my mood goes up about fifteen points.

On the other hand, a hot day in August makes me want to crawl in a hole under the porch and not come out for a month and a half.

Now you know the true reason behind my screen name.

Maybe when I get REAL old I'll move to Duluth :D
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:36 pm

My father (like myself) was born in and grew up in Wisconsin. But he had enough of the north country's winters. When he retired he said that his plan was to tie a snow shovel to the front of his car and drive south. When someone pointed to it and said What's that? he'd know where to find his new home. He now lives in Arizona.

My goal upon retirement (three years max.) is to find some place where I can go barefoot year round. And that mean's no fire ants.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:53 pm

Snow, I agree. I just can't take the heat. All my In-laws moved to Sun City AZ and I suspect they spend as much time indoors with the air on high, hiding from the heat as we do hiding from the cold. I still say what I said when they made the move several years ago-I'd rather freeze with friends than roast with strangers.Me and my boots got a work-out today. Anyway's I've got a pot of rice pudding on the stove and a blanket over my lap!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby atwoodian » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:11 pm

Okay, I can't take the poll because neither choice is true for me, so I'll just say I bought a pair of snowshoes three or four years ago and had a chance to use them once since then. I bought 'em so I could play around here when the big storms hit, not drive a hundred miles to use 'em.

I marched around the arboretum the day after they arrived and it was fantastic. Just me, trudging around on top of 3 or 4 foot drifts, a couple hawks, and the sunshine. Quiet, peaceful, and a lotta fun. I wanna do that again, and I wanna do that HERE, not three hours north!

'Course, now that my daughter lives in the Twin Cities I might find an excuse to go visit before spring but not having at least one major storm in so long really sucks.
atwoodian
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:53 am

We get snow in Madison?....when?
kweetech
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe