MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

downtown bars vs. the price-fixing lawsuit

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Do you think campus bars engaged in a conspiracy of pricegouging?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Yes, that Fishbowl was a ripoff!
6%
Duh, maybe, I don't know.
12%
No, they were just pawns like everybody else.
82%

Total votes : 17

downtown bars vs. the price-fixing lawsuit

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:22 pm

WTF?
I mean, seriously, WTF?
Who's suing this time? Is it a none-too-classy action suit? Brought on by multiple former UW students (those who have since had their penniless asses deported back to Minnesota)? Who stands to gain from this?
Why? What possible basis do they have for this lawsuit? If memory serves, the downtown taverns were heavily pressured by the UW to not offer drink specials.
Ah, conspiracy. Building Seven. Oliver Stone ... and Kelly Meuer.
Marsh Shapiro said the taverns have already spent over $450K defending against this case in Dane County. Now it's gone over the Mississippi.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/5063108/detail.html
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Endless lawsuits

Postby Jeff Mackesey » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:48 pm

This is an ambulance-chasing lawer in his pathetic death throes. His only choices are declaring bankruptcy or a desperate attempt at the federal courts. Surprise, surprise, he chose to prolong his agony. I hope he loses everything he owns! I work at a place that has never had week-end specials in its entire 22 years and we are being sued. "Kill all the lawyers first!"
Jeff Mackesey

Re: downtown bars vs. the price-fixing lawsuit

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:21 pm

supaunknown wrote:What possible basis do they have for this lawsuit? If memory serves, the downtown taverns were heavily pressured by the UW to not offer drink specials.
Actually if the bars agreed to ban drink specials, or set certain prices, that is considered price fixing. It really doesn't matter if the UW asked them to do it.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:29 pm

ShaneDog wrote:
supaunknown wrote:What possible basis do they have for this lawsuit? If memory serves, the downtown taverns were heavily pressured by the UW to not offer drink specials.
Actually if the bars agreed to ban drink specials, or set certain prices, that is considered price fixing. It really doesn't matter if the UW asked them to do it.

Banning specials and setting prices are two very separate things. I don't seem to remember the price of a Cap'n & Coke being uniform throughout campus, and they certainly weren't higher than many other places in town.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:38 pm

supaunknown wrote:
ShaneDog wrote:

Banning specials and setting prices are two very separate things. I don't seem to remember the price of a Cap'n & Coke being uniform throughout campus, and they certainly weren't higher than many other places in town.
Well banning specials can be seen as more general form of setting prices.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:59 pm

ShaneDog wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
ShaneDog wrote:

Well banning specials can be seen as more general form of setting prices.

Am I not mistaken, or wasn't the city council going to ban drink specials if the bars didn't choose to willingly do it? If so, why punish the bars for voluntarily choosing to end drink specials to avoid the rigamarole of fighting to keep it? If not, it's really the bars fault for buckling under university pressure and not being aware of the implications of an across the board ban on drink specials (i.e. price hike in some people's view).

And totally fuck those involved for suing a place like the Plaza that HAS NEVER had drink specials on the weekends. If you're going to say they had part in a epidemic of price fixing, do that. Don't group them in with the drink special folk.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:49 pm

It still appears ridculously cheap to get hammered off yer ass in downtown bars, fixed price or no fixed price.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:52 pm

meowzamusic wrote:It still appears ridculously cheap to get hammered off yer ass in downtown bars, fixed price or no fixed price.

Seriously, and the hipsters haven't even caused PBR to go up in price.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ShaneDog » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:43 pm

I'm not sure if the city can ban drink specials or not but if the bars decide to do away with drink specials as a group that seems like it would make them a cartel and violate some law.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mudduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 pm

In the end this may cost taxpayers plenty - the bar owners are sure to sue the city (and city atty. for malpractice) to cover their legal fees.
mudduck
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:07 am

I think the biggest problem a lot of people are having with this story involve the news clips showing Marsh Shapiro and the guy who owns State St. Brats claiming hardship and talking about Madison being a horrible place to do business.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but both have become very, VERY wealthy doing business in Madison.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:22 am

not to hijack a thread but at the high noon last night some guy lit a cigarette towards the end of the set. a woman who worked there took it out of his hands a minute or two later and put it out on the floor.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nimbostratus » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 am

jjoyce wrote:I think the biggest problem a lot of people are having with this story involve the news clips showing Marsh Shapiro and the guy who owns State St. Brats claiming hardship and talking about Madison being a horrible place to do business.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but both have become very, VERY wealthy doing business in Madison.

What is "very, VERY wealthy," just out of curiosity?
nimbostratus
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:59 am

nimbostratus wrote:What is "very, VERY wealthy," just out of curiosity?

Rich enough to own a house valued at well over a half million dollars?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nimbostratus » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 am

I guess I don't see that as being "very, VERY wealthy". Well-off, certainly.

"very, VERY wealthy" is like, you have 20 million in the bank.
nimbostratus
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Town Vibe