MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

jeff tweedy versus the frogs

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

jeff tweedy
22%
the frogs
78%

Total votes : 9

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:24 am

i have tweedy tickets but i think i'm gonna blow it off for the fabulous flemion brothers at mother fools instead.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: jeff tweedy versus the frogs

Postby supereightsnate » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:21 pm

depinmad wrote:i have tweedy tickets but i think i'm gonna blow it off for the fabulous flemion brothers at mother fools instead.

the frogs are great, but motherfools is too small and cramped venue for them(or at least it was the last time i saw them there). they were much better at a bigger place like the rathskellar, where i saw them totally pull some hilarious rock moves.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:23 pm

i love them at mfools. jimmy usually goes out in the street at some point to harass the passersby.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:31 pm

I think it would be sweet to see them at Fool's, but I know when I've tried to go to see them there it was too packed for me to deal with.

The Rathskellar show was very fun, watching them interact with drunk frat boys & girls.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:57 pm

hmmm, weird. i think i've been to every frogs/motherfools show and wouldn't call any of them "packed".
also, i saw them last time (only time?) they were at the rathskeller and don't recall much interaction with the kids... at that show, dennis was unusually quiet.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:19 pm

We (Digibot) played with The Frogs once at O'Cayz. The crowd was packed to the gills. It was a TAG event so we got paid nothing for opening. I even lent the Frogs' bass player my amp cuz he didn't have one ( :shock: :roll: ). The Frogs, well, they were OK I guess. Not worthy of all the hype though.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:22 pm

We (Digibot) played with The Frogs once at O'Cayz. The crowd was packed to the gills. It was a TAG event so we got paid nothing for opening. I even lent the Frogs' bass player my amp cuz he didn't have one ( ). The Frogs, well, they were OK I guess. Not worthy of all the hype though.

:roll:
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:34 pm

Fuck you dickweed. Sorry to knock your heros down to size but get fookin' real. They ain't all that (and either am I). Blow me.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:36 pm

depinmad wrote:hmmm, weird. i think i've been to every frogs/motherfools show and wouldn't call any of them "packed".
also, i saw them last time (only time?) they were at the rathskeller and don't recall much interaction with the kids... at that show, dennis was unusually quiet.

hmmm. you must have missed the part of the rathskellar show where this punk girl pulled the hoody over this fratboy's head and started beating him up in front of the stage.

and then the guy with wings crawled on top of this huge stack of amps, kinda fell down, and then kept climbing up again.

i guess the motherfool's vibe was just too,"let's all hush up and listen to some quite band" sort of thing instead of the full-on rock show at the rathskellar.

i just think the frogs are better suited for a loaud rock club than a quiet coffee venue. I would have LOVED to see them at o'cayz.
and a frogs/digibot show? why wasn't i there?
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm

i actually video'd that rathskellar show. what you say sounds vaguely familiar. i'll have to go back and watch.

i love the quiet awkwardness at a frogs mfools show. it adds an extra dimension of tension.

frogs at a loud rock club is fun too.

frogs anywhere is a delight.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: jeff tweedy versus the frogs

Postby LoopBo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:08 pm

depinmad wrote:i have tweedy tickets but i think i'm gonna blow it off for the fabulous flemion brothers at mother fools instead.

Fuck you asshole, it's time your Frogs got what they have comin to them. Why don't you go fuck yourself and blow me while you're at it. Fuckin' asshole! Go supa!
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:46 pm

depinmad wrote:frogs anywhere is a delight.

true.

my favorite frogs show was at a rock club in rockford. i think i liked it better than the fool's ones b/c i didn't have to worry about them breaking stuff or hurting themselves.

when they play mother fool's they don't bring a bass player so its just the two of them. it is fairly loud for the space but not as loud as many of the bands we have. they just don't play that loud. i'm always really impressed at the tones that jimmy gets out of his amp at relatively low volume.

it is kind of weird to have a 'listening room' type situation for a band like them but i agree with depinmad about the added tension. dennis, especially, seems to be a little un-nerved at the vibe.
jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:51 am

Fuck you dickweed. Sorry to knock your heros down to size but get fookin' real. They ain't all that (and either am I). Blow me.

Fuck you asshole, it's time your Frogs got what they have comin to them. Why don't you go fuck yourself and blow me while you're at it. Fuckin' asshole! Go supa!

charmed, i'm sure.

you kiss your groupies with those mouths? oh, i forgot. you don't have any.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tagevers » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:00 am

supaunknown wrote:We (Digibot) played with The Frogs once at O'Cayz. The crowd was packed to the gills. It was a TAG event so we got paid nothing for opening. I even lent the Frogs' bass player my amp cuz he didn't have one ( :shock: :roll: ). The Frogs, well, they were OK I guess. Not worthy of all the hype though.

I don't think this was me; I've never booked the Frogs.
tagevers
Forum Addict

Postby sunspot_mike » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:40 am

I'd definitely pick The Frogs over Jeff Tweedy any day of the week.

Has anyone heard the actual recordings of The Last Hard Men (Flemion's band with Jimmy Chamberlin, Sebastian Bach, and Kelley Deal) besides on the Scream soundtrack? I heard they were released but I never found them in any store.
sunspot_mike
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Hype Exchange