MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP GLY?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Deep six GLY?

Yes, please make him go away, that buzzing sound is getting annoying
33%
No, I enjoy kicking him, even tho' he keeps coming back for more.
67%

Total votes : 33

Postby bmasel » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:50 pm

white_rabbit wrote:You should have seen the little GOP'ers and their rude shouting when the Dean rally was in Madison.

Rude, perhaps, but constitutionally protected.

I'm less troubled by the desire of the Dean campaign to exclude critical signs, than the University's willingness to play along. The Deanies agreed to let me enter with a sign, only because they feared the Bushies would overhear the argument and realize they were being unlawfully excluded.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shoeless » Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:05 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Please. You know as well as I do, that conseravative speakers are regularly shouted down on college campuses across the country. These are not isolated incidents, but childish patterns of rude behavior.

The president was heckled in Australia, it goes on and on.

Your Bushgod was heckled, not by college students, but by the Austrailian Parliament, you fool. That is why he refused to speak to British Parliament. Junior has to be protected from hostile crowds. He can't face the representatives of the governments of his "coalition".

[quote]Bush heckled by Australian parliament

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) ââ?‰?Â
shoeless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:19 am

shoeless wrote:Your Bushgod was heckled, not by college students, but by the Austrailian Parliament

Hmmm....let's go to the story:

"Heckled inside and outside Australia's Parliament"

Inside and out. So there was the usual group of smelly leftist rif-raf that prevents people from speaking present? Yes.

Back to the story:

"two Green Party senators"

Two Green Party senators. Hmmmm. That just about says it all doesn't it? I mean you can dress a pig in a cocktail dress labeled senator but it's still a pig underneath.

Thanks again for making my job so easy here Shoefeld....and a happy Festivus to you and your foster parents!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:02 pm

The Green Party in Australia does not equal the Greens in USA.

Point two, blame can be cast equally on both sides of the political spectrum for attacks on the First Amendment. It has always been my belief that when you use words like liberal, you're not including the free speech opponents who have set public education back decades with their speech codes on university campuses. Thankfully, such measures have been defeated here in Madison due to work from students and professors representing both Democratic and Republican ideals.

This is why labels such as liberal and conservative really mean nothing to anyone anymore. Joe Lieberman is hardly liberal and George W. Bush is hardly conservative, when you look at the historical and traditional definitions. It's much more accurate and honest to say that opponents of Affirmative Action have been shouted down by proponents of same. To call the opponents conservative isn't exactly accurate and to call the proponents liberal isn't accurate either.

But then again, who wants to be accurate or honest when discussing a throwaway issue like the First Amendment?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shoeless » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:42 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Back to the story:

Two Green Party senators. Hmmmm. That just about says it all doesn't it? I mean you can dress a pig in a cocktail dress labeled senator but it's still a pig underneath.

You were the one crying about the Aussies heckling your precious, fragile leader. Aren't you embarrassed to find that it was only a couple of Green Party Senators? If you think they are so inconsequential, then why the fuck were you whining about it, and why was your Junior pResident afraid to address British Parliament?
shoeless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:48 pm

shoeless wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
Back to the story:

You were the one crying about the Aussies heckling your precious, fragile leader. Aren't you embarrassed to find that it was only a couple of Green Party Senators? If you think they are so inconsequential, then why the fuck were you whining about it, and why was your Junior pResident afraid to address British Parliament?

We were discussing the fact that the left has a long embarassing history of preventing free speech by shouting down people with differing opinions. There were protesters in the street AND people in the building.

I guess your brain "stopped short" and you forgot to read the previous posts, huh?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shoeless » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:59 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
We were discussing the fact that the left has a long embarassing history of preventing free speech by shouting down people with differing opinions. There were protesters in the street AND people in the building.

Well, I guess it worked, because your cowardly leader was afraid to address British Parliament, after his harrowing experience with the Austrailian Parliament. Have you ever seen British Parliament on CSPAN? Tony Blair gets heckled constantly. He takes it like a man. He doesn't slink off and refuse to address Parliament. Aren't you embarrassed to worship such a coward as George Bush Jr.?
shoeless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:We were discussing the fact that the left has a long embarassing history of preventing free speech by shouting down people with differing opinions. There were protesters in the street AND people in the building.

So Ned, are you still in denial that "shouting" is a tactic is used by both sides? This is a wash, Ned and a typical tactic of neo-cons to focus on a nonissue to deflect.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:28 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:We were discussing the fact that the left has a long embarassing history of preventing free speech by shouting down people with differing opinions. There were protesters in the street AND people in the building.

So Ned, are you still in denial that "shouting" is a tactic is used by both sides? This is a wash, Ned and a typical tactic of neo-cons to focus on a nonissue to deflect.

Give me two examples of a leftist speaker who was shouted down by conservatives in the last few years.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:34 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:

Give me two examples of a leftist speaker who was shouted down by conservatives in the last few years.

I already told you about the little Bushites at the Dean rally that Ben confirmed. The other example I can give you is the Christian Conservatives who were wearing Bush buttons that tried to shout down Mark Pocan with their blow horn at the Gay Pride rally on the Capital steps this past summer. Probably not good enough for you because you obviously hold the correct view on all that is.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobhemauer » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:40 pm

whiterabbit wrote:I already told you about the little Bushites at the Dean rally that Ben confirmed. The other example I can give you is the Christian Conservatives who were wearing Bush buttons that tried to shout down Mark Pocan with their blow horn at the Gay Pride rally on the Capital steps this past summer. Probably not good enough for you because you obviously hold the correct view on all that is.

Or the neocon airheads that tried to shout down speakers at the big post-arrest anti-sweatshop rally a couple years ago.
bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:43 pm

bobhemauer wrote:
Or the neocon airheads that tried to shout down speakers at the big post-arrest anti-sweatshop rally a couple years ago.

Careful Bob, Ned's going to want 'concrete' evidence.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:06 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
bobhemauer wrote:

Careful Bob, Ned's going to want 'concrete' evidence.

Very weak, but at least you tried. The left's more about "feelings" anyway, right?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:09 pm

So, Ned, does that mean you're still in denial about the fact that at times persons of all political ideology 'shout down' persons of opposing ideology?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:22 pm

white_rabbit wrote:So, Ned, does that mean you're still in denial about the fact that at times persons of all political ideology 'shout down' persons of opposing ideology?

I'm saying it's a sad tradition and pattern with the left, especially on college campuses. I don't think the same is true with the right. Sorry.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines