MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP GLY?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Deep six GLY?

Yes, please make him go away, that buzzing sound is getting annoying
33%
No, I enjoy kicking him, even tho' he keeps coming back for more.
67%

Total votes : 33

Postby shoeless » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Give me two examples of a leftist speaker who was shouted down by conservatives in the last few years.

Hear's one. I know it was posted before, but I love this one, and you asked for it.

A booksellers' luncheon isn't the place you'd expect to hear a shouting match, but Al Franken (search) and Bill O'Reilly (search) got into a verbal war Saturday at BookExpo America in Los Angeles.

"Shut up! You had your 35 minutes. Shut up," O'Reilly said.

Franken snapped back: "This isn't your show Bill," creating an uproar from the crowd.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88364,00.html
shoeless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:33 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:So, Ned, does that mean you're still in denial about the fact that at times persons of all political ideology 'shout down' persons of opposing ideology?

I'm saying it's a sad tradition and pattern with the left, especially on college campuses. I don't think the same is true with the right. Sorry.

Sad. Blinded by the right.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:33 pm

shoeless wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
Give me two examples of a leftist speaker who was shouted down by conservatives in the last few years.

Hear's one. I know it was posted before, but I love this one, and you asked for it.

A booksellers' luncheon isn't the place you'd expect to hear a shouting match, but Al Franken (search) and Bill O'Reilly (search) got into a verbal war Saturday at BookExpo America in Los Angeles.

"Shut up! You had your 35 minutes. Shut up," O'Reilly said.

Franken snapped back: "This isn't your show Bill," creating an uproar from the crowd.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88364,00.html

Good god....more nothing.

Franken has 35 minutes to pontificate, hardly a shout-down.

Really weak, guys.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:47 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:So, Ned, does that mean you're still in denial about the fact that at times persons of all political ideology 'shout down' persons of opposing ideology?

I'm saying it's a sad tradition and pattern with the left, especially on college campuses. I don't think the same is true with the right. Sorry.

When the Right wants to shut down Political Speech, they use the cops.

I don't consider what the Bushies did at Dean an instance oif "shouting down." Having a presence, and heckling, are legitimate counterspeech.

My personal protocol, when heckling, is not to step on the actual presentation, but to jump in when they pause for breath. I don't want to shut them down, I want to steal the show.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shoeless » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:50 pm

I actually saw this live on CSPAN. O'Reilly was PISSED because he had just seen the cover of Frankin's book. He shouted SHUT UP! a few times, and when Al zinged him, the crowd just about laughed poor Bill out of the room. He was like a lunatic. Frankin remained very calm. Afterward, O'Reilly stormed off the stage, refusing to meet with audience and reporters, while Frankin and Molly Ivins mingled with the crowd and granted interviews. It was priceless.
shoeless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:57 pm

bmasel wrote:When the Right wants to shut down Political Speech, they use the cops.

Interesting take. I'd like to see some examples of the "right" employing the cops for this.

I've thought of a few recent/famous cop smack-downs:

1999--World Monetary Fund meetings Seattle.
Mayor: Democrat
Governor: Democrat
President: Democrat

2003--Anti War Protests SF
Mayor: Democat
Governor: Democrat
President: Republican

1968--Chicago riots
Mayor--Democrat
President--Democrat

Waco Battle
Governor:? (Bush?)
Attorney General: Democrat

Miami Child Snatching
Governor: Republican
Attorney General: Democrat

Hmmm...I think Dems use the cops more :lol:
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shoeless » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:24 pm

Here is your second example Ned. And suppression of the 1st Amendment doesn't get any bigger than this.

ACLU sues to let protesters get closer to Bush
Action led by Pittsburgh office

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The American Civil Liberties Union asked the federal courts today to prevent the U.S. Secret Service from keeping anti-Bush protesters far away from presidential appearances while allowing supporters to display their messages up close.

The civil liberties group filed the lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia on behalf of four advocacy organizations that claimed that the Secret Service forced them into protest zones or other areas where they could not be seen by President Bush or Vice President Dick Cheney or be noticed by the media covering their visits.

"The pattern we found was at presidential and vice presidential appearances, protesters were restricted to areas where they were out of sight, out of earshot and often out of mind," said Witold J. Walczak, legal director for the ACLU's Greater Pittsburgh chapter.

The ACLU complaint lists several incidents where protesters were forced to assemble blocks away from where the president or vice president was speaking, while supporters of the administration's policy could hold their signs up in front of the building. They cited examples across the country, including Philadelphia; Columbia, S.C.; Phoenix; Stockton, Calif.; and St. Louis.

http://www.post-gazette.com/FirstAmendm ... testp6.asp
shoeless
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:39 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I'm saying it's a sad tradition and pattern with the left, especially on college campuses. I don't think the same is true with the right. Sorry.

Love to call you on this one, Ned. In the early '90s when some of us were fighting speech codes on the UW campus, there wasn't a conservative student to be found in the group. And when we testified in front of a legislative committee, one of the guys in our group was a CR at the time and has since changed his ways and is more liberal than I am.

Say what you want about these benign shout downs, it's traditionally been liberals who have defended the First Amendment in this country and who defend the far-right hate groups who hide behind it... usually pro bono.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:31 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
bmasel wrote:When the Right wants to shut down Political Speech, they use the cops.

Interesting take. I'd like to see some examples of the "right" employing the cops for this.

Republican National Convention 2000. Not that the Dem Con was much better.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:16 pm

GLY has the right to do anything he wants without punching me.

My own very simple gripe is this:
God love ya, GLY, but when you slap 80 to 100 posts a day even before the goddam digital ink is dry on the last post, and I have to scroll through THREE PAGES of stuff to find a post that hasn't been started by you, it gets tedious.
Maybe if you'd just post a dirty jpeg every now then.
But the endless "look what the Democrats just did!" is annoying and creates an even more annoying backlash of "look what the Republicans just did!"

Maybe GLY needs his own space.
Or maybe GLY is just a joke.
Not a funny or entertaining joke, but, um, laughable.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RottoReago » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:26 pm

How about Christopher Hutchens being shouted down at Rockford College commencement last spring. Granted the speech was inappropriate, but those who objected should have left the room and turned their backs as some did. The audio is illuminating.
http://www.rrstar.com/localnews/your_community/rockford/0521hedgesspeech.shtml
RottoReago

Postby robeen » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:38 am

This is a little off the topic - but fun for anyone who thinks O'Reilly is an ass-hole.
The "shut up...shut up" from earlier in the thread reminded me.

http://www.oreilly-sucks.com/transcript ... yglick.htm

It's where he argues with the son of a 9/11 victim.

Rob
robeen

Postby robeen » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:47 am

RottoReago wrote:How about Christopher Hutchens being shouted down at Rockford College commencement last spring. Granted the speech was inappropriate, but those who objected should have left the room and turned their backs as some did. The audio is illuminating.
http://www.rrstar.com/localnews/your_community/rockford/0521hedgesspeech.shtml

You mean Chris Hedges right?
I didn't think the speech was inappropriate...

Hedges quote: "Modern war is organized industrial slaughter"

Rob
robeen

Postby RottoReago » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:59 pm

I agree with 100 % of the speech, but I think within the context, it was, well, a little jarring. Hedges jumped right in without providing a context to graduation. If Hedges intent was to challenge graduates at a small liberal arts college, then he succeeded. If his intent was to provide an uplighting message to the graduates; this didn't happened. My point was that regardless of the "appropriateness" of the speech, free speech took a black eye that day.
RottoReago

Previous

Return to Headlines