MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Satellite Radio. Who has it, Who wants it and who's the best

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Which Satellite Radio Provider do you prefer?

Sirius
50%
XM
50%

Total votes : 2

Satellite Radio. Who has it, Who wants it and who's the best

Postby lunatic fringe » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:45 am

I'm thinking of trying this new techie out. Anyone here have any advice? I've done a little research and am leaning toward Sirius. A little more expensive but no commercials. XM is partly owned by Clear Channel. Need I have a better excuse?

What do you think? If you aren't thinking about it, you should. Almost all 2004 vehicles will be equiped with one.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:37 am

Sirius gets very high marks from my sister, who is a radio professional in New York (and therefore had a pretty good selection of FM stations to choose from anyway). I have high regard for her taste. She says both services are good but subscribes to Sirius (and doesn't work there).

The hardware is surprisingly compact and easy enough to set up -- you just put the receiver in a south window, doesn't have to be outside on the roof or in the attic.

The NYTimes ran a favorable article last week about satellite radio services if you have time to look for it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:14 pm

The no commercial thing makes the subscription so worthwile. If the cable companies operated the same way, I would get that too.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indefatigable » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:49 pm

droidsattack wrote:If the cable companies operated the same way, I would get that too.

The one and only thing that would make me get cable (aside from getting a nice big raise) is if you could pick 5 channels for 10 bucks a month (or less)
indefatigable

Postby wmd_4_me » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:11 pm

XM and sirius are close, it depends on what you're looking for. Sirius has no commercials, but it uses higher compression which results in a TAD bit lower sound quality, you have to listen to notice though.

XM is good, although it has commercials, it also has lower compression and the sound quality is a bit better.

it's like the difference between a MP3 recorded at 192(xm) vs. 128 (sirius) those aren't the actual numbers but an example.
wmd_4_me
Forum Addict

Postby pulseCzar » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:28 am

Just a few questions:

Does XM have commercials on every station or just some?

Do both services have the little receiver unit that pops out of your car and into your home system? That seems pretty cool because I don't feel like I drive enough to justify a gettting only a car unit.

Which service has NPR?

Does anyone have a link to a good comprehensive comparison of the two?

Thanks!
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:32 pm

Somehow, I distrust all this crap...

We've slowly moved from public airwaves and resources to pay-as-you-go, subscription-based media. Cable TV and net access, satellite radio, etc. Call me paranoid or just uninformed-- but I don't wanna pay $150 a month for services that have been free for the last 50 or 70 years.

Information is slowly becoming a privelege. And while it might not be crucial to be aware of the latest US death toll overseas--it's still a matter of cultural dissociation. Media serving only the wealthy members of society is decidedly not cool.

It's just another excuse for terrible programming on the FM dial. See how they're selling MTV2 with that "where'd my videos go?" campaign? Sirus/XM will become the quick fix for everyone's frustration with the pablum spew of the traditional broadcasters. I sympathize, really-- there ain't shit on 90% of commercial stations....

But why send your dollars to yet another megacorp broadcaster? Someone please explain how this is any more responsible than donating to Clear Channel.

(and I wouldn't doubt that CC's got their hands all over one digital broadcaster or the other anyway as it is...)
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe