MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Your last five restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Your last five restaurants

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Here's mine. The first is the most recent.

Irish Waters - Used a ten dollar off birthday coupon. Had the walleye. Ms Vilas had the salmon.

Ocean's Grill - My actual b-day (free dessert). Had something from the ocean. If I wasn't so drunk, I'd probably remember more.

T & M's Vietnamese Cuisine - Curry squash with shrimp. Good food and service, but the place was eerily quiet on a Tuesday night, even with the seven of us for our monthly family dinner.

P.F. Chang's - Something spicy with chicken.

Jordan's Big Ten Pub - Blue gill, of course.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:18 pm

And if you weren't so drunk now, perhaps you would have actually posted five restaurants, eh?

Here's mine:

Coppertop
Ginza
Old Fashioned
Weary Traveler
Irish Waters
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brownbear » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Amy's Cafe: Construction? C'mon!
Weary Traveler: Owner/manager dude creeps me out.
Takara: The waitstaff was cleaning the chairs the entire time. Not just the seats, but every part of the chairs; legs, supports, everything. Disturbing.
Hawk's: As usual, I used a fake name for my order (Cornelius), purely to make the cute cashier laugh.
Mildred's: I love the awkwardly long wait for your sandwich. Mildred's is Madison in my eyes.
brownbear
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:55 pm

Friday - Sunrint
Monday - Kollege Klub
Tuesday - Sunprint
Wednesday - Sunprint
Thursday - Sunprint

I wonder if Sunprint will ever run the two for one lunch specials again?
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And if you weren't so drunk now, perhaps you would have actually posted five restaurants, eh?

Correct you are. It's been amended.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:12 pm

What a great idea for a topic, Henry!

Yirgalem: I went there as part of a group of seven, and since Ethiopian restaurants serve the food family-style, tried a whole assortment of things, all of them good, but the yebeg tibs and the kitfo lebleb stand out.

Red Robin: (I know, I know.) Good burger (The 5-Alarm), mediocre fries, onion rings were OK but not worth the money.

Gino's East, Chicago: (No one said they had to be Madison restaurants, right?) Gino's IS deep-dish pizza for me. There is no other. Sorry, Uno's.

Wasabi: We had a couple sushi rolls and the sauteed shrimp. Good stuff. Unlike many Forons, I'm not sufficiently devoted to sushi to choose sides in the debate over whose best.

Fyfe's Corner Bistro: For their Famous Fondue for Two and the filet mignon in roquefort-madeira sauce. Bliss. Our favorite fine-dining restaurant in Madison. Service was impeccable as usual.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Today: Sunroom. Slightly bland on both counts for me 'n' the boy (special: huge mound of cavatappi pasta with three cheeses, avocado, mushrooms and tomatoes in cream sauce, California pizza with shrimp, green peppers, avocado, mozarella, basil -- or was it spinach? -- and goat cheese), but good prices and decent taste.
Yesterday: Downtown Great Dane. Pretty good, but then again I was nursing both beer and grief and didn't really notice. Had the Tuscan chicken and sausage pasta (what is UP with the cavatappi everywhere?) sans the chicken but avec the chicken sausage, which had a small bone in it but was otherwise quite tasty. Also had gorgonzola cream sauce and walnuts, etc. My husband had the quesadilla, which he had had before, but as anticipated it was a bit spicy for his particular mood. Had the SesquicentenniAle for the second time, and I don't know whether it was a bad batch or the thought that my departed British friend would laugh at me for it, but it tasted a bit weak and watery.
Tuesday: Ben and Jerry's. Mmmm... dinner of free chocolate brownie ice cream.
Saturday: Flatiron. Our first visit. I had the crab melt, which was a little bland -- maybe the warmth kind of overwhelmed the delicate nature of the crab. My husband had the Flatiron burger, which he wasn't super fond of because a) the bun disintegrated and b) the burger was a round mound which let the toppings slide off awkwardly and made it hard to hold. We also had the goat cheese broscare, which was nice but a little perplexing. The five toasted slices of bread and cheese were practically floating in basil olive oil, and the tomatoes in the middle weren't really cooked -- maybe blanched and then chilled? -- which made them too tangy and cold for the dish. Some depth from roasting or sundrying, as ubiquitous as that might be these days, would have been nice.
Pretty much every other day: Chipotle. I tell you, the only thing I liked about moe's was their tofu. All I ever eat is a veggie fajita thing with guac and both the corn and pio de gallo.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Bahn Thai
Jimmy Johns,
Mediterranean cafe, best lunch in the city.
Subway, does this even count?
Burrito stand on MLK & W Main St.--damn good. But what is it with these burrito stands that they can't fix their signage so it reflects what they charge?? both of them on the square say it's $4.75 and charge $5. I know it's only a quarter, but why?
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Do you complain about it? If you do, do they shrug and say, "Oh, gee, yeah, I'll get right on that..."?

I suppose it depends on how much you want to actually be served there again, but they'd probably take notice if you made a significant enough stink about it. Just tell them you need those quarters for laundry.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Yesterday: Glass Nickel delivery ââ?¬â?? had the ââ?¬Å?tasty turkeyââ?¬? sub ââ?¬â?? cream cheese, red onion, and jalapenos. OK, but I didnââ?¬â?¢t expect much, so I wasn't disappointed. Terrible bread.

Sunday night: Brass Ring before TNP - the grilled cheese there is about as tasty as something so simple can possibly get. Side of cole slaw, crunchy, nicely balanced. Pint of Cow ââ?¬â?? hit the spot after working outside all day.

Sunday afternoon: Michaelââ?¬â?¢s ââ?¬â?? chocolate malt, kept me going while I waited for that beer that I knew was coming later.

Saturday: Old Fashioned ââ?¬â?? walleye sandwich. The fish was good, but 3 paper-thin slices of radish is a tease. With an Esker Alt. I love the selection of beer there.

Saturday morning: Fair Oaks Diner. Bomblet, extra cheese, well done. I have one every weekend.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:23 pm

I don't eat out that often, so I can't name the dates.

1) Sal's, before they closed
Garlic,onion,pepperoni,mushroom pizzza,
Garlic roles
Small garden salad
beautiful red wine

2) Cleveland's
Eggs busted over onion hashbrowns
coffee is like dishwater but I love the
3) Perkin's East (with gaming son)
Same breakfast plus pancakes

4) Great Dane (with work buddies)
Savory chicken salad,onion,tomatoe,lettuce
bacon on a crescent.

5) Famous Dave's
What a delicious surprise. Ribs,nicely
burned, Finger lickin' good!

Wait staff at all these places was great. I'm sometimes alone and in a hurry and they take great care of me.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

5 restaurants

Postby anaranjado » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:07 am

1.) Glass Nickel: Awesome bloody mary special on Sundays ($3) and their spinach cheese bread is great. We love the waitstaff there and it is so close to home. Pretty fine bartenders for a reasonably priced restaurant.

2.) La Rocca (new place on Williamson): We were very satisfied with our pasta dishes, tasted like either homemade pasta or higher quality pasta. It was very friendly, very clean, the owners seemed real sweet and conscientious. Definitely want to try the pizza. Agree with one poster who said it is a refreshing change from hipster/ pretentious new places whose food never lives up to the precious ingredient listings on the menu.

3.) Monty's for breakfast: Pretty disappointing. Their potatoes are always bitter tasting, produce sticker found in breakfast burrito, biscuit was somewhat underdone and kinda soggy. All this for $20.......I was so mad that I didn't just go to the grocery store to get eggs myself that morning. Anything I would have thrown together would have been better than this.

4.) Chin's: Yeah, it's a chain, but we think we found the 2 best things on the menu: The sesame chicken and the fried rice with shrimp. The fried rice is very fresh tasting and not at all greasy. Nice to share these 2 dishes. Also love the lettuce rolls.

5.) Avenue Bar: Fish Fry. Been here many times and it is consistently good. However, this time, we arrived later in the evening and found the fish to be kind of overdone and greasy. Still, it is forgiveable because most of the time the fish is great, service is good, and supper club atmosphere is desirable.

Great idea for a post, have enjoyed reading everyone's responses.
anaranjado

Postby zelda » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:59 am

Sunsomething - (the one on State Street) for breakfast. Just had the eggs, potatoes and toast. It was all good. Nice to sit by the windows.

Teddywedgers - again for breakfast. This nice weather has made me want to walk to work in the mornings and I reward myself sometimes. Heh. Tried the B2 for the first time and it was good, and filling. Very, very filling.

La Rocca - for lunch. Had the meat focaccia - wanted the veggie one but they didn't have it that day. Have you ever noticed that every foodseller in the world has a different take on what focaccia actually is? This version was very tasty but I think I'd try something more exciting next time. Liked the atmosphere (bunch of older men at a back table speaking Italian to each other) and La Rocca herself was very friendly. Will go back. Want to try that seafood pasta thing.

BW3 - yes, my secret vice. The whole wing special on Tuesdays combined with trivial pursuit I find very addictive, although actually I haven't been there in months and months. I always get the hot bbq and the wild.

Old Fashioned - had the cod for lunch on a Friday. It was the standard fried cod, good fries, the waitress was nice if a bit distracted. I probably will stick to my habit of going to the Avenue for lunch on Fridays. Love the Avenue fish boil, but have no idea how "authentic" it is as it's (gasp) the only fish boil I've had.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby Luckypants » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:20 am

La Rocca for lunch.

Eldorado Grill for brunch.

Maharaja for lunch buffet.

Vientiane Restaurant delivery. Health code violations be damned, I can't stop eating their red curry.

Monty's for breakfast.
Luckypants

Postby jjoyce » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:47 am

Food carts count!

Silver Southwestern food cart on Kink/Pinckney/Main -- Shrimp Tostada was delicious with plenty of shrimp and beans. Should have dripped a little hot sauce on it or had some hot sauce in my desk drawer.

Great Dane Fitchburg -- had the Mayan wrap which renewed my faith in the Pub Burger.

Tex Tubb's -- A sampling of the fish tacos. I prefer the blackened tilapia and the shrimp. Washed 'em down with a couple of ice cold Lone Stars. Couldn't take my eyes off the Willie poster where he's dressed like Uncle Sam.

Plaza -- Two cheese Plazas. Didn't disappoint with the perfect amount of sauce.

Sushi cart at King/Pinckney/Main -- decent roll that was easily worth the $5.50 I paid for it. Nothing to yell about, but having a little sushi for lunch is nice. It doesn't bog you down in the afternoon, but still fills you up. Blunt says avoid the tempura, so I have. But I'll try a few other rolls there this summer.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews