MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Abuelos

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby barney » Wed May 10, 2006 10:08 am

cattyr wrote: Don't know what to say about the veggie vs. non-veggie contents of dishes, morris, except that it is disturbing that we received different information.

Easiest way to solve this issue: next time out there, ask to see their ingredients list for the beans. They have to have one, and they have to show it to you - it's in the state food code. They don't have to give you the recipe or anything, but they have to maintain a physical list of ingredients in all served foods that aren't clearly marked with ingredients (packaged stuff, ketchup, etc.) for patrons who request to see it (primarily for folks with specific food allergies).
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Abuelo's

Postby sevillana » Wed May 10, 2006 11:26 am

Tried Abuelo's the first week it opened--was disappointed it was so Americanized, don't know why they even bill it as "Mexican", but the food was fairly good for a chain & prices weren't outrageous. I was surprised at the huge number of waitstaff available--there were maybe 10 tables of people & honestly, at least 25-30 waitstaff. I've never seen that many waiters standing around--had 2 open the doors, 4 people at the hostess stand & passed over 15 waitstaff just going to the table. Maybe they expected a huge rush when they opened, but if they have that many staff around normally, it makes me wonder how they can afford to pay them all.
sevillana

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 10, 2006 4:45 pm

Alright, clearly my pessimism towards mexican food is not justified. All you other folks seem to think there really is such a thing as really tasty mexican food. I should start up a search for it I guess. I consider abuelo's the best in town solely because of the service and above average margaritas. So, someone who didn't like Frida, Abuelo's, or Casa De Lara should recommend a specific dish at a specific place to me so I can see what i've been missing. Be especially careful if you recommend La Hacienda since my two dining experiences there bordered on hell.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 pm

barney wrote:
cattyr wrote: Don't know what to say about the veggie vs. non-veggie contents of dishes, morris, except that it is disturbing that we received different information.

Easiest way to solve this issue: next time out there, ask to see their ingredients list for the beans. They have to have one, and they have to show it to you - it's in the state food code. They don't have to give you the recipe or anything, but they have to maintain a physical list of ingredients in all served foods that aren't clearly marked with ingredients (packaged stuff, ketchup, etc.) for patrons who request to see it (primarily for folks with specific food allergies).

Both good points. I will have to ask them...but I dread the disappointment so! ;)
morriskatze

Postby neuwaver » Mon May 15, 2006 5:38 pm

I have a friend who moved here from California. She's a native. We've been slowly making our way around the city and outlying areas in search of some Mexican that she can stomach. Every trip so far has ended in tears. Damn, I'm only from Green Bay and I found better Mexican up there. Madison just seems to be some kind of black hole for this type of food.
neuwaver

Postby TAsunder » Mon May 15, 2006 5:47 pm

Erm... I think there are bigger problems here if people are literally crying because of bland mexican food.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon May 15, 2006 5:57 pm

TAsunder wrote:Erm... I think there are bigger problems here if people are literally crying because of bland mexican food.

You're kidding, right?

I could personally fill a hot tub with the lachrymosity left behind from my misty, candy-coated remembrances of the chorizo super-burrito at Taqueria Favorito in Rohnert Park.

There's not a lot of things I miss about my year in Sonoma County, but that's on the short list.

Hell, I'm getting verklempt just thinking about it...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby morriskatze » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:47 am

Abuelo's has a new spicy salsa that I really like. It almost reminds me of some homemade salsa my Mexican boss's wife made for me years ago (I still yearn for the flavors in that little jar!).

Also, for vegetarians - be sure you ask for the vegetarian menu. It's got a few more choices than it had when the restaurant first opened, and there are still meaty things in some unexpected places on the regular menu.

And, to respond to the person who said their friend from California was literally brought to tears by the Mexican offerings here in Madison: I hear you. I like some things at a number of Mexican/Southwestern restaurants here in town, but no single restaurant consistently pleases me in food and service compared to what I can find in Texas, especially Austin. But there's lots of good food here if you don't get too hung up on the Mexican/Southwestern angle.
morriskatze

Postby S. Hable » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:14 pm

Hello all....

Being an avid forum reader (any forums) I have been following this thread for some time and just wanted to offer my thoughts and information.

My name is Steve Hable and I am the General Manager of our Abuelo's here in Middleton. I have been with the company since September of 2005, and have lived in the Madison area since 2000. Hopefully I can address a few of the concerns raised here, so that those of you who have not tried us, might decide to do so at some point in the future.

To start, thank you for the compliments on our business. My staff works very hard, goes through a very tough training program, and truly tries to deliver a great experience to each of our guests. So the kind words and patronage are greatly appreciated.

Abuelo's has been in operation since 1989, with our first location opening in Amarillo, TX. We have 39 locations, predominately in the southern/western United States. However, in the last couple of years we have been focused on expanding into the eastern and midwestern areas of our country.
Our concept is the combination of some 'authentic' mexican cuisine, and some tex-mex style cuisine. We home make just about everything in house (except for tortillas, and a couple of our desserts. Which those are made specifically for us, by other companies) We use only the freshest of ingredients and recieve fresh produce 6 days a week. We are, as it was stated before, 'americanized'. With the broad range of people in our country and in the communities that we have locations, we try to be authentic as we can while still appealing to as many people as possible. Our Corporate Chef, Luis Sanchez, spends a good amount of time in Mexico each year and tries to bring back recipies/ideas that we can effectively execute, as well as maintain that broad appeal I mentioned before.

For the vegetarians out there, I apologize in advance. Our mexican rice and refired beans are not vegetarian. If you have recieved inaccurate information on this in the past, please accept my most sincere apologies. It is not our intent to mislead anyone. We (as a company) are currently working on recipies for vegetarian versions of some of our items so that we will have even more choices available for those guests who wish it. We do have a scratch kitchen, and given the appropriate amount of time we can make an individual serving of the rice or the beans. Additionally, our Espinaca, which is a creamy spinach filling we use for enchiladas is now vegetarian, with the removal of the ham base that was in it before. I hope this helps those who would chose not to visit us because we dont offer enough vegetarian selections.

The smoky salsa we had when we opened, was called our Salsa Brava. It was made with roasted onions, tomatoes and jalepenos. We no longer make this because of the seasonality of jalapenos. At times it would be spicy as intended and other times it would just be smoky. It has been replaced with our Salsa Infierno. (as mentioned in the post prior to this) The Infierno is served as a compliment to the normal Salsa Roja, if our guests would like to make the Roja carry a little extra 'kick'. It is made with jalapenos, habaneros, chili flake, tomatoes, garlic, and salt.

As to our ingredient list, the only lists that we have are our recipies. We are 100% compliant with all local and state food & sanitation codes/standards.(http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/health/envhealth/wifoodcodecomplete.html) If any guest would like to know how something is made, or what is in a particular item, please ask one of my managers or myself. We will gladly give any information that you would need.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please contact me if anyone would have any questions.

Steve Hable
General Manager
Abuelo's Middleton
ab34@food-concepts.com
S. Hable

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:45 pm

Fuck off, you spamming bastard.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:24 pm

i can't believe i missed this thread first time around.
i went to this hell hole a few weeks after it opened. it was awful, the most bastardized, bland, overpriced, oversalted shit i ever tasted. worst "mexican" restaurant in the area, by far. fucking taco johns is tastier, and more authentic.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby S. Hable » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am

As a business owner/operator in the Madison area, I was only trying to answer some of the questions and concerns that were raised about our establishment.

white_rabbit
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:45 pm Post subject:

Fuck off, you spamming bastard

White, I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way.

depinmad Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:24 pm Post subject:

i can't believe i missed this thread first time around.
i went to this hell hole a few weeks after it opened. it was awful, the most bastardized, bland, overpriced, oversalted shit i ever tasted. worst "mexican" restaurant in the area, by far. fucking taco johns is tastier, and more authentic.

Dep, I am sorry that you did not like your experience. If you ever want to try it again, please let me know and I will be here to help in any way.

Thanks.

Steve
S. Hable

Postby aaron » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:22 am

Hable, you can't post anything on here without offending someone. (Some of these folks on here are not much better than Ann Coulter, really.) So don't take it personally.

I, for one, appreciated your post. And I also think Abuelo's is just fine.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:42 am

S. Hable wrote:
white_rabbit
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:45 pm Post subject:

Fuck off, you spamming bastard

White, I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way.

You didn't offend me, it was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm because I had just gotten into it with a different foron who accused the ice cream man of spamming. My apologies if you didn't catch that.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:31 pm

white_rabbit wrote: I had just gotten into it with a different foron who accused the ice cream man of spamming.

Spam-flavored ice cream? Dude, I'm there... :lol:
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews