MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

MOREL mushrooms

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby foodstuff » Mon May 08, 2006 9:53 am

$20/pound at brennans this weekend. I bought some to saute in butter, and I overcooked them. They still tasted great, but I probably lost some of the flavor by letting them cook too long. Any good preperation tips? One thing you really need to be careful of is getting the sand/dirt out. I soak the mushrooms and shake them as well (a brush doesn't work well, as the morels are very fragel).
foodstuff

Postby doddles » Tue May 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Had some from the Farmer's market last night. Sauteed in butter with garlic, then tossed into Frabonis fettucini, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with freshly grated romano cheese. Simple and delicious.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby sitnspin » Tue May 09, 2006 3:07 pm

I bought some at the Willy St. Coop for $24/lb yesterday (worth it-and then some-for a seasonal delicacy)...Sauteed the morels in lotsa butter n' garlic, drizzled over RP's garlic angel hair, added a touch of RP's alfredo sauce and some sauteed asparagus...Dee-lish!
sitnspin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Wed May 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Has anyone tried grilling them? They seem a bit too delicate, but if it would work, I'd love to hear how you did it.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Tue May 23, 2006 7:37 pm

One memorable camping with dad memory:

Have some rosemary and garlic infused olive oil on hand.

Skewer morels longitudinally (the long way) and brush with oil frequently. Turn like you are roasting marshmallows. Best over an open fire in some backwoods country, but can be accomplished with a low flame in a grill as well. Best with good laidback company and fresh wild game- I would recommend wild turkey breasts and drumsticks slowly cooked over said fire (baste like hell), with leinie's berry or honey weiss.

It's not L'etoile, but the whole experience is priceless.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby femhalo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Are morels out this year yet? If so, what stores are selling them? (Jenifer st. market... or..?)
femhalo
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:50 am

I read through this whole thread before realizing that it's from 2006...I guess I won't be rushing over to Brennan's today!
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:54 am

I've picked morels from my backyard the last two years, but haven't seen any yet.

I check this site for reports in Wisconsin. http://www.morels.com/wisconsin/guestbook.html
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:30 am

I've never had one. A friend has a huge farm in Hillsboro, many many wooded hills full of rotting stumps. He told me to come up and look for them before the amish sneak on his land and steal them all. So I'm going. Wish me luck.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:59 am

narcoleptish wrote:I've never had one. A friend has a huge farm in Hillsboro, many many wooded hills full of rotting stumps. He told me to come up and look for them before the amish sneak on his land and steal them all. So I'm going. Wish me luck.

Hope you're packing heat.

Them Amish brothers be hardcore about morels.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Monzie » Mon May 07, 2007 9:47 am

I suppose I shouldn't gloat and say that I've got a big bag of freshly picked (free!) morels in my fridge at this very moment...along with a pile of SW Wisconsin's finest ditch-grown asparagus. This season's first morel meal was fettucine tossed with a light sauce of morels, vermouth, asparagus tips, chives, cream, and goat cheese. Tonight, I'm just going to sautee them with butter and shallots and dump them on top of a big ol' steak (for the husband) and on a gruyere omelette (for me). Yum!

As for cleaning the delicate little morsels...

I let mine sit in a sink full of cool water for at least 15 minutes. Make sure the water's deep enough so the dirt sinks while the clean 'shrooms float to the surface. A friend recommends salting the water, but I don't see the need. Oh, and I always slice morels in half lengthwise. Even the little ones. Because bugs just love to curl up in the hollow core (and it's better to scare them out of hiding when they're on your cutting board rather than when they hit your saute pan!).
Monzie

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 07, 2007 10:19 am

Got a pound at the Westside Market on Saturday for $22 ($40 is gouging and should be met with disapproving glares at best). Sauteed some in butter that night with some salt and pepper and ate them with some sourdough (also via Westside Market). Delish! Simple pleasures 'n all.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 07, 2007 10:23 am

Monzie wrote:I let mine sit in a sink full of cool water for at least 15 minutes. Make sure the water's deep enough so the dirt sinks while the clean 'shrooms float to the surface. A friend recommends salting the water, but I don't see the need. Oh, and I always slice morels in half lengthwise. Even the little ones. Because bugs just love to curl up in the hollow core (and it's better to scare them out of hiding when they're on your cutting board rather than when they hit your saute pan!).

Putting salt in the rinse water kills off those bugs and makes them easier to remove.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Monzie » Mon May 07, 2007 11:11 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Putting salt in the rinse water kills off those bugs and makes them easier to remove.

Yeah, kinda figured that's what he was trying to do. But, live or dead, you've still gotta pick 'em out of your mushrooms. And I'd rather deal with a live bug on my cutting board than risk winding up with a pan full of over-salted morels.
Monzie

Postby narcoleptish » Sun May 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Well, I'm back from Hillsboro and the girlfriend and I have 3 or 4 lbs.

It's just like people say, as soon as you see one, they just start appearing like magic.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues