MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Very Important! Don't you want to read me now!!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Have you ever been involved in a bike on car accident?

Poll ended at Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 am

Yes, I was the car
6%
Yes I was the bicycle
50%
No
44%

Total votes : 16

Very Important! Don't you want to read me now!!!

Postby briwrites » Fri May 12, 2006 1:55 am

Okay guys.

So I was driving home from my shit job last night, and I HIT A BICYCLIST. This was clearly his fault, cut and dry.

I was turning right onto willy street off john nolan, by the bike shop.
Anybody witness this? 9:30 p.m.?

Tell me you saw. I was turning right, had the green arrow, and this gentleman decided to not look, and fly in between myself and the car in front of me that was first to turn. "He came out of nowhere," as I think they say.

He was not badly injured--cuts and abrasions, my car was somewhat injured and its a lease.

I immediately went into a state of semi-shock and disbelief: did I really just hit a man on his bicycle?

What is the protocol for this incident, even if he admits he was at fault? I'd like to get my car fixed because its a lease, but I have not filed a police report.

We didn't call the police, probably because we were both in a mild state of schock.

Help me now! I'm freaking out! I can't believe this happened, because I'm always being cautious to watch for bikes in this city (but he was a vigilante outlaw biker)!
briwrites
Forum Addict

Re: Very Important! Don't you want to read me now!!!

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri May 12, 2006 9:55 am

briwrites wrote:What is the protocol for this incident, even if he admits he was at fault? I'd like to get my car fixed because its a lease, but I have not filed a police report.

We didn't call the police, probably because we were both in a mild state of schock.

I can appreciate that you were in shock, and you have my sympathy, but the protocol is this: Always, always, always call the cops right away in a case like this. A fender bender is one thing. Car vs. bike is quite another. It may appear he only had minor injuries, but until a doctor checks him over, you don't want to bet on it. If he were to suffer any adverse effects after the fact, he could try to screw you if the issue of who's at fault isn't clearly resolved.

Did you get any information from this guy? Name? If not, you're probably SOL. And even if he admitted fault at the time he might reconsider after the fact if it means footing the bill for your repairs, at which point it becomes a he said/she said argument. If he'd admitted fault to a cop at the scene, he'd clearly be liable for the damages to your car. Still is, provided you got his name and contact info, though, like I said, you'll have to count on him doing the right thing.

I don't mean to add to your anxiety level. I hope you find your witness and it all turns out for the best.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Fri May 12, 2006 10:18 am

I work at that intersection and I have to use it every day as I drive in at out at the bike shop parking lot.

Which direction was the biker coming from? He must have crossed against the light, eh?

If he was on Willy street on the bike path going toward John Nolen/Monona Terrace he has a yield sign before the light and the corner. I guess I'm wondering for personal reasons too since I live in fear of hitting a fast moving biker at that corner every damn day. If the roadbike racers would just yield, then we'd both be looking out for each other...
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 12, 2006 10:32 am

About 25 years ago I was cutting through the parking lot at the Kohl's food store on East Wash. A car pulled in front of me and I slammed into the side of his hood and kissed his windshield. Split my chin (required a few stitches), dented his car with my front tire, but my bike was o.k. I had good health insurance, so I had no out-of-pocket expenses. I never even asked the car driver's name, nor did he ask mine. Bet it cost him a couple hundred bucks to fix the dent. I figured we were even.

Last Sunday I had a solo bike accident. I was riding on the Lake Monona bike path on the road by Olin Park, going towards the Monona causeway. Where the path leaves the road and goes to a sideway, I hit my brakes to slow down. When I let up on the brakes, the rear caliper released, but the front one didn't. I did a header over the handlebars and broke off my front two teeth; luckily I was wearing a helmet. Ending up in the emergency room. First thing Monday morning Dr. Sanderson (Capitol Square Dental) did a great job of restoring my front two choppers. My bike didn't fair as well. The front wheel is bent beyond repair.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri May 12, 2006 11:25 am

auntgoodness wrote:I work at that intersection and I have to use it every day as I drive in at out at the bike shop parking lot.

It's an awful intersection, apparently designed to maximize inconvenience and hazard for motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians alike (the locomotive engineers seem to have it pretty good, though). I bike in to work on the isthmus path, and if there is a great way to get from the path to westbound Wilson Street, I haven't discovered it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Fri May 12, 2006 11:35 am

[quote="Henry Vilas"] When I let up on the brakes, the rear caliper released, but the front one didn't. I did a header over the handlebars and broke off my front two teeth; luckily I was wearing a helmet. [ /quote]

I have to remember this scenario when I am feeling like not wearing my bike helmet. Yikers.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Very important!!! Don't you want to read me now!!!

Postby briwrites » Mon May 15, 2006 4:41 pm

Well thanks for the stellar advice, gang.

Made an insurance report, yadayadayada...Which is MY fave way to spend a Friday.

to answer an earlier question: I was turning right onto Willy off John Nolan, he was crossing from the north side of Willy to the South to link up with the bike path.

And he's okay.

And everytime I see a bicyclist I scream and close my eyes and slam on the breaks as hard as I can. Who says minor accidents have to be traumatic?[/code]
briwrites
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All