MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 16.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Property owners: How do you handle the dandel?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

How do you tame the dreaded dandelion?

Leave 'em be. I think they're purdy.
41%
Pull 'em by hand. It builds muscles, son!
19%
Some sort of nature-friendly method and/or folk remedy. (please explain)
11%
Weed and/or feed. Chemicals, that is.
11%
Shit, I'd spread fissile nuclear material on my lawn if they'd let me. They hate our lawns!
4%
I share a truce with the dandelions and beat-out my aggressions on my greens-snooping neighbor.
15%

Total votes : 27

Postby white_rabbit » Fri May 05, 2006 10:33 am

juanton wrote:
My neighbor(the dickhead one) sprayed roundup on my side of the fence line 2 years ago to stop my lawn from contaminating his...

When I confronted him about the roundup he said he called his lawyer and that the lawyer said it was OK to do. I'm thinking that his lawyer got their degree from Phoenix University.

Does that mean it's OK for you to dump thistle and weed seeds on his side of the fence? Better yet, acid. In the middle of the night.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Fri May 05, 2006 10:35 am

I was thinking he should let the dogs crap on the neighbor's lawn. Then just say that his lawyer said it was alright to do so.
Toxic Ned

Postby GenieU » Fri May 05, 2006 12:07 pm

Last year at about this time I made Wine out of a bumper crop of 'lions.
We uncorked a bottle last weekend. It was a surprisingly good white wine with a sunny, flowery taste (like thats a surprise!) that fell somewhere between beer and Champaigne.

I'm presently off again to the Wine and Hop shop to get another packet of Champaigne yeast which worked so well.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oddleif » Sun May 07, 2006 10:03 am

We pull heads, although pull some of the plants as well, every day. It takes about 1 hr and I swear the little bastards pop up in minutes. I have some plants which I call the super mutants, which are huge and have about 30 blooms on them. Am I creating those hydras by pulling off the blossoms? Help!!! I am figuring that since the dandelion is a biennial, then the less chance there is for it to go to seed, then pulling the heads is beneficial and I should see less of these beasties over the years. Any advice?

My aim for the yard is for native plants and perennials to take over and where they have, the dandelions have decreased. I have not cut the grass in 7 yrs now and the yard is a work in progress. I am lucky I am in an old neighborhood on the west side and no one minds

Regarding the wine: I pulled a recipe off the web and tried making it and it was gross. Can you post your recipe, I have so many of these dandelions, I am wiling to try again.

I pull garlic mustard out of my neighbors yards and participate in the neighborhood pull. I consider it a civic duty and the benefit is a gift certificate generously donated by our neighborhood to Dotty's.
oddleif
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Mon May 08, 2006 12:26 pm

OK - Dug about a half dozen burdocks. Not very successful as I only got two out by the root. And those were on the small side. Apparently after a certain size, they just snap off. Unless I want to dig to China to get all of the root. I found with that approach, I was as likely to inadvertantly chop the root off partway down as get it out. So on those that thought they had won by breaking off - gave the broken-off root top a good swab of brush killer and then pushed the dirt back over the top. Keeps the cats out of there, my dogs are too stupid to care. I'm willing to lose a few flowers to get rid of the burdocks, but so far, I was working away from the daffs, tulips & lilies of the valley.

But then I went back to the garlic mustard and general clearing. Seems like quicker results when I've cleared a patch, filled 3 garbage bags with the mustard and trundled off a few barrow loads of chopped off brambles & buckthorn. :twisted:
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Jeb » Fri May 12, 2006 1:40 pm

I thought it was a never ending battle...The last four years I have attacked the dandelions every spring, hundreds and hundreds of them. I go as deep as I can with a root weeder. They pull up best after a rain (hint, chores for your kid to do this mother's day). When/if the root breaks-off, I pour the winter's left-over IceMelt salt into the hole to dry-up the roots (btw, salt also works really well on weeds bewteen concrete cracks.) This spring my dandelions are down to a dozen or so.

The only time I pick just the flowers is when they are about to go to seed. I I don't have time to mow or root weed. Note, if you pick the dandelions by the flower only, it's like splitting a plant and they only get bigger and nastier (save that method for your cannabis garden).
Jeb
Forum Addict

dandy tips on weed eradication

Postby workboy7 » Fri May 12, 2006 2:12 pm

you can safely use some chemicals to stop weeds in your lawn. A product like Scotts weed and feed is used infrequently ( as little as once every three years) and allows the homeowner to start at an even pace with weeds (kill them all at once, then pull out the next growers; it's alot easier to pull out 20 than 20000). And what is in these killers?

Propionic acid inhibits the growth of mold and some bacteria. Accordingly, most propionic acid produced is used as a preservative for both animal feed and food for human consumption. For animal feed, it is used either directly or as its ammonium salt. In human foods, especially bread and other baked goods, it is used as its sodium or calcium salt. Similar usage occurs in some of the older anti-fungal foot powders.

Propionic acid is also useful as a chemical intermediate. It can be used to modify synthetic cellulose fibers. It is also used to make pesticides and pharmaceuticals. The esters of propionic acid are sometimes used as solvents or artificial flavorings.

Not all chemicals are bad all the time, just use common sense.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby oddleif » Mon May 15, 2006 1:38 pm

Workboy7 it depends what you want to do with your lawn - grass or no grass. Weed killer, which basically kills everything that is NOT grass (or dicotyledonous plants) will work if you want to have just grass prarie or lawn.

However, if you want to transition to something other than grass, e.g., perennials, etc., then weed killer will be a set back. Dandelions are the first disturbed ground plants and as the yard goes from grass to dandelions to dames rocket, bushes, shrubs, tress etc - the process is called succession. So killing those first disturbed species will not help

Can anyone answer my question on whether picking the heads of the dandelions creates a hydra that grows more blooms? I dont know, I just keep picking. Also any good recipes for dandelion wine?
oddleif
Forum Addict

Postby AmyW » Mon May 15, 2006 2:22 pm

I'd assume that if you pinch off the blooms, more will appear. That's how it works for a lot of other plants.
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe