I could do it, but I'd still call AAA
19%
I could do it, but I'd only call AAA if it was blasted cold or raining sheets
19%
I always change my own tires! AAA is a waste of money
58%

Total votes : 26

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 15, 2006 2:19 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:I've no doubt you could figure it out, but sometimes that's only half the battle. While the jack will do the job just fine, a lot of auto makers include these tiny little lug wrenches (probably because they're lightweight and inexpensive) that are pretty much useless.

True enough. Luckily our little snootymobile came equipped with good tools, full-size spare on matching rim, and highway hazard signs to place behind the vehicle. I think the jack even has markings that match up with markings on the axel, sort of an automotive Garanimals.

A big star wrench is nice, but probably not as necessary as it used to be, when every single component on an automobile including the upholstery was prone to rust.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon May 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Ducatista wrote: ... full-size spare on matching rim ...

Wow, there's an oddity in this day and age.

A big star wrench is nice, but probably not as necessary as it used to be, when every single component on an automobile including the upholstery was prone to rust.

Too true. However, you must remember than when the wheels are going on, it's usually with a hydraulic wrench. When they have to come off unexpectedly, it's all elbow grease. Machine typically trumps man in that scenario.

Also, folks, remember to tighten your lugs in a star pattern (if you have five lugs) or first lug then opposite (kitty corner) and likewise with the other two. Don't tighten sequentially clockwise or counter. This helps ensure the rim is flush.

Also, it's a really good idea to take your car to a shop after the fact to make sure your lugs are torqued correctly. You don't want to be driving with a loose wheel, or it could very well cost you more than a spare.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon May 15, 2006 4:06 pm

I do it myself. With the piddly Honda jack and wrench.

I thought jacking it up and then having to put it back down to turn the lugs was the proper procedure. It helps to warm up the jack, right?

I usually only do it to put on the spare and drive somewhere to have the tire replaced, so I don't have to worry about having the replaced tire professionally checked; it's pretty easy to get the spare on straight.

I would go nuts waiting for AAA when I know I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself. Of course, if I were dressed up on my way to a wedding or something like that, then maybe I'd let someone else do it.

I'd like to use one of those crossbar wrenches, but there's no place to put it. My jack and wrench from Honda fit into a size approximating a shoebox - perhaps a bit longer.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Mon May 15, 2006 4:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Wagstaff's Free Life Advice Lesson #327:
If you have to change a tire, make sure to loosen the lug nuts before you jack up the car.
I can't tell you how frustrated/embarrassed/stupid you'll feel when you finally jack the damn car up and discover that the tire just spins and spins and spins when you attempt to remove the nuts.

Actually, I can tell you, because I've done it.
The answer is: Extremely.

Or you can engage your emergency break...
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 15, 2006 5:08 pm

Madcity Expat wrote: Or you can engage your emergency break...
Jeez ... I already said I was extremely frustrated/embarrassed/stupid! Wanna rub some lemon juice in my paper cut now?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zelda » Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

I have always changed my own tires, from old 70s cars to my current bottom of the line civic.... except this last time a year or two ago. It was downtown Madison, about 4:30 p.m. and the tire in question was on the street side. The hardest part for me is loosening the lug nuts. Sometimes I have to stand on the bar and bounce on it for a while. That's probably bad, right?
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Tue May 16, 2006 9:59 am

I've never let any sort of roadside assistance service change a tire for me, not only because I'd feel foolish summoning them to do something I could readily do myself, but also because I didn't want to wait for them to get there.

Though I have to say I've been pretty fortunate in that I haven't had many, and usually they're under pretty ideal circumstances - e.g., in my own driveway, rather than along a dangerously busy road at night.

I did have a blowout on I-39 somewhere around Plainfield a few years ago. A sheriff's deputy stopped and put his lights on so motorists would stay clear - and without my asking, he pitched in and helped me change the tire, by which I mean he did most of the work!

I should have written a letter thanking him, but I didn't get his name.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Tue May 16, 2006 11:24 am

On the car, DIY

On the bike, Motow (AAA for bikers). Changing a tire on a shaft drive motorcyle requires more tools and expertise than I have at my disposal.

When you buy tires for the car, installation and balancing is usually included. Last tire change and balancing on the bike was $115 + the cost of tires.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue May 16, 2006 11:57 am

msnflyer wrote:Last tire change and balancing on the bike was $115 + the cost of tires.

Yow, that seems really high. Where'd you go? I highly recommend Madison Motorsports/Motorcycle Solutions for tire purchase/mounting.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Madcity Expat wrote: Or you can engage your emergency break...
Jeez ... I already said I was extremely frustrated/embarrassed/stupid! Wanna rub some lemon juice in my paper cut now?

S'okay prof. The emergency brake typically only locks two wheels on the vehicle, so it's not a catch-all solution in any case.

But you should always pull that sucker just the same, as it's a lot safer to jack-up a car with it engaged.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 16, 2006 12:41 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:The emergency brake typically only locks two wheels on the vehicle, so it's not a catch-all solution in any case.

See, I was wondering about that but didn't want to come off even more ignorant than I already did.
That said, shouldn't an emergency brake lock all four wheels?
Since it's really a "parking brake" (even if no one driving an automatic uses them) would you really want the same two wheels locked, regardless of whether you're parking up or down hill? And furthermore, doesn't it seem like one of those cases where more would be better than less? I mean, if you never use the thing, aren't you running an increased risk of failure when you do? And if that's the case, wouldn't the extra brakes serve as backup in case say, the back wheel brakes failed?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue May 16, 2006 12:43 pm

What am I, the friggin Answer Man?
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Tue May 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:What am I, the friggin Answer Man?

Yes... spill it.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 16, 2006 12:54 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:What am I, the friggin Answer Man?

Obviously not.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Tue May 16, 2006 12:57 pm

From what I've heard, I believe there ARE some cars with those features.

But it's not mandated anywhere by anything, and nobody bases their car-buying on how safe the parking brake is, so nobody cares. Even me. I think there ARE cars out there with fourwheel parking brakes, but do you see me googling it? I just don't care.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All