MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 14.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria

Postby Flat_Atom » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:53 am

940 Williamson. Red awning. GO HERE! I had the cheese tortelloni last night and it was excellent. Fresh mushroom alfredo and a huge serving of cheese filled tortelloni. Awesome! I was stuffed. They have these great appetizers called Arancini(sp?). Spinach or ground beef covered in rice and deep fried. The p and I shared one of each. Delicious. The owner, Carol, is super sweet and the prices were fair. Support this place. They just opened this week and I hope it succeeds. That neighborhood needs a good italian restaurant. Now that Leaning Tower is gone, this will be my "go-to" place along with Bunky's for local Italian.
Last edited by Flat_Atom on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:36 pm

What were the prices like?

They don't deliver, do they?

Where is this located -- I'm picturing the block, but is it in a building which used to house something else?

I worry about pizza/pasta saturation with Roman Candle so close, but their atmosphere's the only thing that might draw me in at this point. I'll try just about anything in the neighborhood.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:09 pm

$12 for a big plate of pasta, $3 for the appetizer and the usual buck fitty for drinks. Both of us walked out of there under $30 plus tip. Their pizza prices are quite competetive. We'll be trying that next time. I'm not a big Roman Candle fan to be honest. I think this place is much better. It's in that smaller white building that used to have a yellow interior(now it's orange). Right near Bahn Thai but on Willy on the north side of the street.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Luckypants » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:06 pm

Tried this place on Saturday afternoon and thought it was great. My group tried the calzone, arancina (the rice ball thing), the pasta, and the italian beef sandwich from the lunch menu. Also had two appetizers - cheese bread and mozz sticks - both of which were well received. Fabulous marinara sauce. The lunch menu was fairly small, but everything was well done, the dinner menu looks to be more extensive. Beers on tap tended to be lighter, which was kind of disappointing to me, but still not a bad selection. And the menu we took home says that they do deliver.

Perhaps the best part was the warmth and friendliness of the owners. This is a great little place, check it out.
Luckypants

Postby Wino » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:30 pm

Anyone recall reading the article about this place in the local paper back in December 2005??? For some reason, it is burned into my memory.

Here are some fun quotes from the article:

"I think I am going to stay away from fish because I understand the people from Wisconsin don't like fish..."

"I've been here long enough," he said. If people don't like something, "they get the curly nose. Yuk."

La Rocca said he will favor simple dishes that don't have overwhelmingly flavorful sauces, which he claims the people of Madison cannot handle.
Asked where that notion comes from, La Rocca pointed to the popularity of Ragu spaghetti sauce. "Ragu is extremely popular," he said. "You go to many grocery stores, there are at least 300 yards of those."
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:09 pm

Flat_Atom wrote:It's in that smaller white building that used to have a yellow interior(now it's orange).

We call it the Jesus Appliance Store. The east side of the building used to sport a mural of a giant cross rising up out of an open washing machine. Last time I walked past the mural was partly gone, too bad.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:46 pm

Went there last night for Pizza. Ordered a 14" with tomato, mushrooms, artechoke and ham. Pizza crust was excellent. Pizza itself was decent, though we're talking simple ingredients - not real high quality/fancy stuff. Not at all greasy which was a plus. Service was very good and friendly. Pizza and three Amstel beers was $25+tip.

This is a simple, cheerful Italian-American pizza&pasta place. Don't go expecting anything fancy and you'll probably enjoy it, as we did.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby shelly » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:55 am

I don't have anything new to add except another thumbs up. We went there last weekend and the pizza was yummy, the service was fast and the prices affordable. What I liked best was the atmosphere, no cooler-than-you trendy Madison restaurant vibe.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:02 pm

I'm also a fan. Particularly fond of the veggie combo with 'aglio olio e peperoncino' ...um...sauce. Kind of a zesty olive oil which makes for a pretty unique 'white' pizza. Very friendly folks running the place, too.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby svetlana_banana » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:43 pm

The pizza I had was excellent. Great crust, not greasy at all, and very fresh toppings. My only suggestion would be to add a bit more sauce. I also really enjoyed the mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. I had a bite of my friend's cannoli and it was sinfully delicious. The prices were also very reasonable. I was surprised that there weren't more people there. The place is really good.
svetlana_banana
Forum Addict

Postby tinsley » Fri May 05, 2006 9:50 am

I have to disagree with all the rave reviews. I went to dinner at La Roccas. Annoying television with some boating race was blaring in the corner. Friend and I ordered two glasses of red wine, both of which were served *cold* (what the hell?!). Ordered moz sticks which were standard dive bar quality, the marinara was decent. Ordered pizza with various vegetable toppings. Crust was okay, sauce was near non-existent, and toppings were standard. I was not impressed.

On the plus side the waitress was very nice and accomodating. Perhaps I should try one of their pasta dishes but for a pizza dinner my money is going to Pavlovs or Roman Candle or Greenbush.
tinsley

Postby doddles » Fri May 05, 2006 9:59 am

Well, as I said above - it's a cheap, non-fancy American-Italian place. So comparisons with, e.g. Roman Candle or Greenbush are not really comparing apples to apples.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby mr.wolf » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:15 pm

Here's the combination pizza that SHOULD (and someday will) be on the menu:

-- Thin crust
-- Get the sauce that's garlic and olive oil with minced pepperoncini
-- Order the quattro formaggio but without the bleu cheese; just the smoked provolone and parm/whatever else is in it
-- Fresh tomato (these are currently still on the pink side, but I hope they will be getting riper tomatos soon)
-- Bresaola (thinly sliced cured ham)
-- More garlic
-- Talk them into sprinking fresh parsley on the pie.

The owners are two of the nicest people in town, by the way. I'd much rather be welcomed graciously and with familiarity into a restaurant with so-so interior design than to always be a stranger in a posh place.

Case in point: last time I ate at Brothers Three, the waiter brought me the drink I had ordered on my previous visit and set it down on the table while I was still hanging up my jacket. Damn, that's good service!
mr.wolf

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:47 pm

mr.wolf wrote:Case in point: last time I ate at Brothers Three, the waiter brought me the drink I had ordered on my previous visit and set it down on the table while I was still hanging up my jacket. Damn, that's good service!

Hmm... what if you didn't want the drink that time, though?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hersheyfrogs » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:50 am

My husband and I tried out La Rocca's last night. The tv was not on and they had sirius radio playing.

We had the cheese bread for an appetizer. The bread had a crunchy crust and a good amount of cheese. The marinara was tasty.

My husband had a pizza with the spicy olive oil sauce. He doesn't like tomato sauce especially and loves spicy, so he loved it!

I had the veal parmigiana. The pasta served with it was cooked just right, but I think there was a little too much marinara on the veal. I think the marinara could use some chunks of tomato in it and maybe a bit more spice.

Overall it was yummy and provided enough food for 2 meals.
hersheyfrogs

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews