MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Been Roethlisberger?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Who is the Steelers' QB stud this year?

Omar Jacobs and the Hand People
20%
Rod Rutherford's Twilight Zone
No votes
Hines is what QB tastes like
20%
whip up a Charlie Batch
20%
Burger be fine - just a little helmet head
40%

Total votes : 5

Been Roethlisberger?

Postby Bifftar » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:59 pm

now that he's gone all Kellen Winslow Jr. on his noggin... Who's gonna get it done?
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 pm

Roethlisberger told his coach it's no big deal that he doesn't wear a helmet:

"I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Right. Be careful and ride in a group, and you don't need a helmet. What a dumbass.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Some people call these types Squids. They sometimes do things like you see in this video (caution: graphic content). Not saying that Big Ben is a stunter like these guys, mind you, but sometimes when people ride in groups they actually tend to push themselves a bit more to show off.

That said, isn't the latest story that the girl in the car pulled out in front of Ben, i.e. that it wasn't his fault?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:41 am

massimo wrote:That said, isn't the latest story that the girl in the car pulled out in front of Ben, i.e. that it wasn't his fault?

Yeah, I wasn't wearing a helmet and suffered debilitating head injuries when a chick in a 1988 Honda Civic pulled out in front of me. The bad news? I prematurely ended my $3 million/year football career and have injuries that will haunt me the rest of my life. The good news? It was her fault.

That Honda Civic is soooo mine!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:49 am

Oh, I totally hear ya. My career as a superstar gymnast was ruined after a biker rearranged my arm.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:06 am

So gos Ben so gos the Steelers chances...
Kids, there a reason that doctors call them "Donor Cycles"...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:10 am

pjbogart wrote:The good news? It was her fault.

Too funny. At this point, though, moral victories are likely all that Big Ben has in this situation.

The point should also perhaps be made that even if he were wearing a helmet, he would probably still be hurt. Probably not as badly, but doing a header off a car windshield will cause damage, helmet or no. I think this every time I hear a TV reporter end his/her segment with a grave "Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet."
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

7 hours in surgery. ouch.

Postby Bifftar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:12 am

GenieU wrote:So gos Ben so gos the Steelers chances...
Kids, there a reason that doctors call them "Donor Cycles"...

His brain, spine, etc all good - but broken jaw, multiple facial fractures. yikes. there's also questions on the knees, supposedly all ligaments are good but - who knows

But re: sports performance, the downside is: with yer jaw wired shut, you eat less and will lose muscle mass and strength...

man at least he's ok. I had a motorcycle accident that fractured my collarbone (helmet broke it) and took an anterior crusciate ligament. hopefully that didn't happen to Big Ben. My helmet probably saved my life.

that motorcycle crashes video is incredible, massimo--but what a terribe soundtrack!
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:37 pm

total dumb fuck. He may be ok next year, but never be as mobile. A young Lynn Dickey.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

just putting a helmet on would hurt Big Ben like hell

Postby Bifftar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Paco wrote:total dumb fuck. He may be ok next year, but never be as mobile. A young Lynn Dickey.

i agree it'll be a factor. from the Pit paper:

"Doctors at Mercy Hosptial have upgraded Ben Roethlisberger's condition from serious but stable to fair; and they say he could get out of the hospital in the next three to five days.

At a news conference this afternoon, doctors said Roethlisberger was resting comfortably with his family.

While he suffered a fractured upper and lower jaw, a fractured nose, as well as other facial fractures and head lacerations, docotrs say there was no evidence of major structural damage to his knees.

Although he did suffer a mild concussion, his brain was functioning normally.

Doctors say Roethlisberger could get out of the hospital in the next three to five days."

Link: http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_164162049.html
Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking