MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

What cellular provider do you use?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

What wireless provider do you use?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:41 am

U.S. Cellular
31%
Sprint
7%
Verizon
14%
T-Mobile
No votes
Nextel
3%
Cingular
34%
Something else
10%

Total votes : 29

What cellular provider do you use?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:41 am

It seems like there's a monthly topic on this question, but its typically related to what's the better service or who gets the best coverage. I'm more interested in how the local market breaks down these days.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:47 am

U.S. Cellular. I've been a customer of theirs since '95 or '96.
Toxic Ned

Postby Mikey K » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:54 am

I'm kind of lucky in that I live in an area where I can get Cellcom service.

Cellcom, unlike UseLess Cellular, covers the entire state of Wisconsin without roaming charges. Unfortunately, you have to live in Green Bay or Wausau to get it.

You downstaters who travel north probably realize that the minute you cross Lake Du Bay, N. of Stevenski Pointski, you're on Roam at 100 dollars a minute...or so it seems.

Conversely, N. of Lake Du Bay, people get UseLess Cellular's Northern Arm, Cellular One. And if they venture S. of Lake Du Bay, they're on Roam.

Same company, but they get you comin' and goin'. Nice work, if you can get it.
Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:57 am

U.S. Cellular.

Pros: Friendly, helpful customer service; phones that work in the analog wilderness.

Cons: Non-GSM phones are pretty much unusable for overseas travel.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:01 am

I'm what George W. would call a paygo cell user. I use it pretty infrequently and just take it along on trips, vacations or when I'm expecting a call from my wife or whatever. So I'm with Virgin Mobile, but they're on the Sprint network. As far as coverage goes, I've never really encountered problems while oot and aboot, but I can't say I've tested it much from downtown, the area most folks complain about being hit or miss.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:05 am

mrak wrote:U.S. Cellular.

Pros: Friendly, helpful customer service; phones that work in the analog wilderness.

Cons: Non-GSM phones are pretty much unusable for overseas travel.

Add to that con list the inability to use the features on your phone without having to use their EasyEdge service, or attempting to hack/unlock the phone.

I'd hoped unlocking my RAZR V3c was going to be easy. So far, I've been proven wrong.
Toxic Ned

Postby Paco » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:09 am

I'm a Virgin also. Doesn't work from BlueMounds SP, and didn't work in Montreal not that I expected it to. Seldom use it, probably drop it at the end of summer when I'm not oot and aboot much anymore.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:15 am

I used to have US Cellular, but I was paying too much for a phone I only use occasionally. And even though US Cellular has pretty good customer service, they have no online payment system. You have to call and use your minutes to s l o w l y enter your credit card or check info every month.

I switched to Virgin on Schick's advice once they finally let you bring your old number over, and it's been great. I'm spending half what I was before. Now my phone tells me when I'm getting low and I can just press one button to fill 'er up with $20.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:19 am

Verizon, for only one reason: no roaming charges anywhere in the U.S.

Paying the bill is a piece of cake. They send me an email telling me what that month's bill is and that they will be charging my credit card on June 26.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:16 am

US Cellular, but I'll probably switch when my contract's up this fall. I travel just often enough to be irked by the exorbitant roaming fees.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:21 am

auntgoodness wrote:I switched to Virgin on Schick's advice once they finally let you bring your old number over, and it's been great.

And I'm kicking my ass repeatedly for not advising you to list me as a referral. It would have meant an additional $20 in my account, not that I'm in danger of running that fucker dry anytime soon. Still, the principle of the thing. (I made the same error when my parents signed-on and when my aunt switched over--how big an idiot must I be?)
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:28 am

Trac-Fone, of all things. It comes in a bubble pac at Walgreens (or Radio Shack, if you prefer) and there's no contract to start. They provide a nice little basic Nokia fone, and you can buy minutes as needed or later on buy a year-long contract that gives you cut-rate minutes. No other monthly charges at all. Reception in Madison has been fine, and southeastern WI has been fine. Haven't tried it anywhere else but it's supposed to work all over the place because they buy their coverage off other companies' networks.

Here's their web page showing nationwide coverage maps if you are traveling this summer:
clicky

Due to somebody on another thread on the Forum, I discovered no-contract cell phones -- so thanks, whoever it was. Works for me, a light user who likes the text message feature.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:US Cellular, but I'll probably switch when my contract's up this fall. I travel just often enough to be irked by the exorbitant roaming fees.

They've got nationwide plans, and it looks like they've got some decent coverage.
Toxic Ned

Postby Mikey K » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:57 pm

small cheese wrote:Verizon, for only one reason: no roaming charges anywhere in the U.S.

Paying the bill is a piece of cake. They send me an email telling me what that month's bill is and that they will be charging my credit card on June 26.

Wow, they only charge you on June 26?
Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:49 pm

i'm wireless-less.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games