MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Memories of Atari 2600

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby minicat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:51 am

PITFALL II RULEZZZZZZZZZZ.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Where's the damn emoticon for "I'm jealous"?

I still haven't been able to score a (relatively cheap) copy of that one.
Did you get the one you had to work or did you buy another one?
Does it rule as much as Frostbite? (as if such a thing is even possible)
Did you check to see if you have Berzerk yet?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:42 pm

I think I've got Berzerk.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:42 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I still haven't been able to score a (relatively cheap) copy of that one.

Ebay rules for 2600 games. http://tinyurl.com/rv9r5 Pitfall 2 for less than $8, shipped.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:05 pm

tibor wrote:Ebay rules for 2600 games. http://tinyurl.com/rv9r5 Pitfall 2 for less than $8, shipped.

Thanks for the link, Tibor! I've been doing a lot of eBay shopping this past month. But since I've already got 200+ games, I'm trying to limit my cartridge-buying budget to no more than $5/game. Scoring Pitfall II under those conditions (let alone the much-desired Tapper) might prove difficult, but it's bound to show up at Pre-Played eventually (I'm actually amazed at the amount of turnover they've had in only a month) for less than $8.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Got that one to work.

I do not have Berzerk.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:10 pm

minicat wrote:I do not have Berzerk.

Well, you do now.
Next time you stop by, I'll give you my duplicate.

BERZERK RULEZ!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:08 pm

Hey, Tibor -
Just wanted to let you know that I caved and ended up buying that Pitfall II ... Thanks again for the heads up!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:15 am

OK you guys are making me think... If I buy a pong unit, will I be able to hook it up to my 10 year old Toshiba?

If so, how?
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:04 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Hey, Tibor -
Just wanted to let you know that I caved and ended up buying that Pitfall II ... Thanks again for the heads up!

Anytime. I never played Pitfall II, but could play indefinitely at Yars Revenge, Berzerk, etc.

Remember the Indiana Jones game? Where you had to parachute into the hole beneath the tree at the end, WITH THE SHOVEL, in order to win? Good times.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:25 pm

Ah, yes, the 2600. Where I cut my gaming teeth on.
Finally pulled it out and trying it after reading this thread. Most of my games still work. Pitfall was touch and go, and Zaxxon wouldn't play at all. River Raid was still fun, but, despite playing it for hours when I was a kid, Pacman was really lame (just the 2600 version). A friend used to have Bezerk and Empire Strikes Back. Also made me realize that, despite the graphics, games haven't really changed that much. Tomb Raider is just an updated version of Pitfall or Jungle Hunter.
Personally I thought my old 2600 worked better than my PS2 at times. :?
Funny, I missed the whole Nintendo thing. The NES and 64.

PS I had a Pitfall patch so I was officially cool.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 am

uwstudent wrote:Most of my games still work. Pitfall was touch and go, and Zaxxon wouldn't play at all.

Just clean the cartridge with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and I'll bet you'll bring that Zaxxon back to life. Of course, then you'll be playing Zaxxon, which was hardly one of the 2600's finest moments, but I guess ya gotta take the good with the bad.
uwstudent wrote: ... despite the graphics, games haven't really changed that much.

Seems to me that back in the day, games were a lot more diverse than they are now. I can't imagine anyone making Frogger today, let alone, say Crazy Balloon (which I just picked up for the Atari on a recently made homebrew cartridge. Good stuff.)
uwstudent wrote:I had a Pitfall patch so I was officially cool.

Not too shabby - I'm actually suprised at how few of those patches I would qualify for, even today (although for a handful of them my high scores leave the qualifying scores in the dust.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:49 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Hey, Tibor -

You could've just picked up Activision Anthology for the PS2. (It would've been a much better value)

Or, if you want 85 more Atari Games (albeit more throwaways) there's always Atari Anthology.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:56 am

MadMind wrote: It would've been a much better value ...

1) I don't have a Playstation, so rather than being a value, it would have been a complete waste of money.
2) They ain't the same - they are emulations.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:31 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
MadMind wrote: It would've been a much better value ...

1) I don't have a Playstation, so rather than being a value, it would have been a complete waste of money.
2) They ain't the same - they are emulations.

Emulations they may be, but it isn't difficult to emulate older games, therefore you're not going to be able to tell the difference.
The big downside of course to playing emulated Atari games on the PS2, or any other format, is the lack of trackball & paddles. The paddle games especially are nearly impossible to play on consoles (Breakout!).

Let's run this down. For the price of a PS2 ($130 Retail) and Activision Anthology and Atari Anthology ($30 for both games approx.)...
That'd be around $160 for 133 Atari 2600 games. Taking into account that some cartridges are more rare than others, to purchase 133 Atari 2600 catridges these days could run you more than $160.
Just sayin'...
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games