MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Whitewater immigrant workers detained... does anyone know?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Before reading this post, had you heard about the Whitewater immigration raid?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:34 pm

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes : 14

Whitewater immigrant workers detained... does anyone know?

Postby FaceForRadio » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:34 pm

Imagine waking up in the morning. Getting ready for work. Making lunch. Kissing your spouse and saying goodbye for the day. Going to your own job.

End of the day comes. Your spouse never returns to your Whitewater home. You hear from a neighbor that she and 25 others have been "detained" at work, shipped two counties away for "processing" and probable deportation. (Journal Sentinel article)

Meanwhile, you see the life you've built together in Whitewater falling apart. The home you've made, the safe environment you've created to raise your kids - gone.

Meanwhile, you wonder why no local newspapers have covered this story. Why has the State Journal covered the Whitewater workers detention only once, buried on page D3? Why has the Cap Times not covered it at all? (Madison.com search)

You wonder why local Whitewater police were part of the immigration sting. Why have the local police become immigration enforcers? Don't they realize immigrants won't be able to call them when they need them now?

You wonder why you can't contact your spouse, and why your lawyer can't either. Why is this country, which claims to follow due process, refusing to respect these basic rights?

You wonder why so many American citizens are so hostile toward you and your family. You wonder why they object so much to your presence, especially when you're working at jobs that hardly any of them will even take. You wonder how this will ever change...
FaceForRadio

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:03 pm

I was born and raised in Walworth County, where Whitewater is located. The area has had stable Mexican communities as long as I can remember, which goes back >50 years. To claim some sudden emergency has necessitated raids and deportations is completely fatuous.

It's probably worth noting that the area is heavily Republican and we have an election coming.

I have not heard anything about this other than what you posted.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:20 pm

Sorry to point out the blunt truth, but breaking the law has its risks. As far as the old canard about no Americans being willing to take the jobs, most of those jobs used to be taken by Americans, at better salaries.
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Whitewater immigrant workers detained... does anyone kno

Postby Shpiker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:18 pm

FaceForRadio wrote:Meanwhile, you wonder....

You wonder...

You wonder...

You wonder...

You wonder...

...yet you know in the back of your mind that you're still here illegally.
Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:21 pm

I hadn't heard anything about this, and I grew up there. I suspect my parents (who still reside there) don't know about it either, as I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have mentioned it.

I'd also like to point out that Paleo Liberal is a crusty old paranoia-addled Republican doppelganger who doesn't know dick about shit.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 pm

I love it when you talk dirty.
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government