MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

PAISAN'S OPENS AT 5PM TONIGHT

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

PAISAN'S OPENS AT 5PM TONIGHT

Postby blunt » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:12 pm

Only 4 months late.
End of transmission.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:16 pm

The question is: should they be opening, or will we be sitting on plywood benches and receiving pizzas sans cheese?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:38 pm

it was actually full last night, a test run?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:10 pm

Went tonight around 5:10.

There was already a 20 minute wait.

The bar area is large and has cute little round booths in addition to the barstools. The ceiling is high and it echoes a lot. It's kind of hard to understand whose name gets called over the loudspeaker.

The booths, at least in our area, looked pretty much the same as in the old place, if perhaps a bit bigger and without the iron scrollwork. Those have been recycled, at least in part, as window decorations. We overheard them tell people that they now had 9,000 square feet instead of 6,000 in the old place, but it seated about the same number because they were a bit more spread out. Some of the tables in the old place only seated two; now they seated 4 and were possibly a bit wider.

Food is the same, right down to those broiler platters. If the prices went up, it wasn't a huge change. (We typically went there for lunch, so I'm not so familiar with the dinner pricing.) I didn't really see any changes on the menu, except that you can now get fries with your sandwich for an extra $1.50.

From our table, we could look directly into someone's apartment. Keep those lights off, folks!

The clientele was almost entirely either retirees or families with kids and babies. One exception:

"KYYYYYYYYLE!"
Ten bucks says that the sauce, she has been hit.
"Uh, actually, it's Terry," says the person being accosted.
"OHHHH, WE WERE JUST AT THE SHAMROCK..."

Yep.

Then the waitress put the check in front of my husband. NEGATORY, GOOD BUDDY.

Anyways, I don't know what I was expecting, but it was suitably decent. One caveat: do not lean againt the brick walls in the lobby, or you will have strangers telling you, "Ma'am, you should really dust off your butt."
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:14 pm

Did they call you "Ma'am" or "Madam"?
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:02 pm

Ma'am. Which is funny, see, because it makes me sound older than my age, not like my usual tarty self ;)
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AmyW » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:08 pm

Thusnelda wrote:Ma'am. Which is funny, see, because it makes me sound older than my age, not like my usual tarty self ;)

All that frippery at your age! :)
AmyW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:09 pm

Stuff and nonsense!
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Yippie, Paisans is open!

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:35 pm

I noted to go, after seeing this thread, just before leaving for the holiday. First day I'm back, my co-worker decides to do a sudden Paisans party. We all go. They did a fine job on the interior. The food was good, and prices reasonable.(cheaper than the Sardine) It sure would have been nice to have a bar overlooking the lake. The wrap around patio is nice though. This is a keeper. I hope they'll be there for many years to come.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:42 pm

Finally made it over there last week. It didn't look like the dinner prices changed at all.

Don't bother ordering the tiramisu; it's a tiramisu-flavored pie. It had a dark chocolate crust which totally ruined the texture.

Both me and my companion ordered Spotted Cows. Mine came with an orange, and his with a lemon. Spotted Cow should not be served with fruit unless it's asked for.

Pizza and service, as great as we both remembered. Although there seemed to be a little more cheese on our pizzas.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 am

the family and i finally made it over to the new paisan's last night.
truth is even when it was on university square, we much preferred porta bella, even with the kids. the menu was more extensive and the food better, but last night, i had nothing but good things to say about the new improved paisans.
the menu has expanded and now includes my beloved chicken tetrazini. that and the porta salad were actually better than the last few times i've been to porta bella.
and we sat at a booth that overlooked monona, a beautiful view.
recommended :)
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby equuspower » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:01 pm

It is nice in its new location. But, I'd suggest you don't try to go on Friday or Saturday unless you're willing to wait about an hour. :roll:
equuspower
Forum Addict

Return to Cooking & Food issues