MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Italian?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby Bellwether » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Stomach wrote:Is Sole Y Sapori still open? I thought they closed.

According to the phone book, they're on Raymond Road now. Used to be where Bunky's now stands.

Actually, Mama and Papa Vitale owned the one in Mt. Horeb; Phil had the one on Atwood (now Bunky's, formerly the Art House), and another brother (Dmitri, I think) had the one on Raymond. All were open at the same time at one point or another. Mama and Papa retired back to Sicily, and sold the Mt. Horeb location and the recipes to the mother of one of Phil's waitresses (who still has it there, been a couple years now). Phil decided to go back to Sicily with them, so the Atwood location closed, and Dom went to get his higher degree in business at UW -- at least according to another brother we ran into at Target one night.

We loved the spaghetti and ravioli at the Raymond Road location (not so much the pizza); Phil made the best pizza at the Atwood store. The sauces were like no other, and we still haven't found a good substitute. My husband even learned to like anise bread. :-) He should; we ate at one of the Atwood once a week from the night of the Gordon Lightfoot concert at the Barrymore, until it closed; then, we ate at the Raymond Road location once a week until IT closed. Heartache.

I miss them terribly. And, I wondered the same thing about Papa Phil's -- alas and alack, no relation. The Mt. Horeb location is okay, but not quite the same taste as the others. But, better than most others I've had, so...

Certainly better than Olive Garden or Benvenutos or even, daresay, Lombardino's. IMHO.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 am

Sole tasted like a vomit-burp after eating josie's to me. Yes, that bad. Not even in the same ball park as lombardino's. To each his own, I guess.

But, benevenuto's tasted even worse. I'll think of a good description and get back to you.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:27 am

Some stuff tasted like that, I'm sure. I had something with raw eggs in it that I couldn't stand (I didn't know about the eggs 'til later). I ate at Josie's once, and couldn't ever go back -- the Chef Boy�ar�dee aftertaste about killed me. :-) That's why they give us more than one restaurant to choose from, I guess. ;-)
Bellwether
Forum Addict

GREAT NEW LITTLE ITALIAN PLACE IN TOWN

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:54 pm

Last night I went to a restaurant with a friend of mine that opened four months ago on Willy St. called La Rocca's Restaurant & Pizzeria. It was really good. The owners, who are the cooks, are a Sicilian husband and wife team and their daughters (who are very pretty by the way) wait tables there. We had beers to start off with served in frosted glasses for a nice touch. My buddy had the meat lasagna, and I ordered the veggie lasagna. We tried each other's, and both were delicious. We had these wonderful breadsticks for an appetizer and cherry cheesecake for dessert, which were both homemade. The service was prompt and friendly, and the atmosphere was simple, but nice. This place is definitely going to give the pretentious Roman Candle down the street a run for their money because the food at La Rocca's is superior in my opinion. The place is kind of small and it was a used appliance store before this. It's located next to the Heartland Credit Union if you want to give it a try. Since there isn't too much good Italian food in town other than the Greenbush, I would highly recommend checking it out.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Don't bother with Tutto Pasta!!

Postby ewok69 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:45 pm

Don't bother with Tutto Pasta. They have a huge cockroach and mouse problem. Take it from someone who used to work there. That is, if you want to stay out of the hospital.

zelda wrote:Thanks! (and keep the suggestions coming). Yeah, Tutto Pasta on State is one of the reasons that I stopped out for Italian. Been to Vin Santo, ages ago, enjoyed it, plan on going back sometime, but I suspect it would be a bit spendy for tonight. Ditto Bunky's although for just pasta it might not be too expensive for them. Never been to Avanti or Papa Phil's but have heard good stuff about PP. Will keep Sole e Sapore and Casa Bianca in mind.... I should probably try to print off some menus for them. Love the Porta salad. What about that place (just beyond?) the beltline in Middleton - Biaggi's or something. Thanks all - you have brought up a bunch of places I had forgotten all about....
ewok69

Tutto Pasta

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:39 pm

I have to second the comments regarding Tutto Pasta (and shouldn't it be "Tutta Pasta?"). Anyway, I went there for lunch and found the food utterly repugnant. Whether it was a good day or a bad day, I don't know. And I don't care. Some places just don't deserve a second chance. For me, this was clear-cut. It's not even worth the breath to elaborate. Look elsewhere.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews