MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

best tv show EVER

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

best tv show EVER

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:25 am

the wire, of course.

that moron stephen king devotes his whole ew column to saying that this fourth season marks the series swing from greatness to classic. well fuck him the show's been a classic since season one episode one.
in any case, season four's premier was last night on demand, and it is indeed fantastic.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:04 pm

HBO isn't tv, basic cable is.
I had to do a search to find out what show you were talking about---and I know almost everything about stuff and junk.
Looks interesting.
But HBO costs a bunch of money.
DVDs at the library are free.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:46 pm

seasons one through three are all available on dvd
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 pm

This could be a momentous occasion. Collision of two solar systems or something. I actually agree with depinmad on something - that The Wire is the best show on TV. However, best tv show ever goes to Band of Brothers.

The Wire Seasons 1-3 are on DVD.

What's great about it is the many layers that it works on really well. It's great as a non-traditional cop show. It's also great as a commentary on the institutions that are failing society and how they are all pretty much the same (domestic drugs, import/exports, unions, politics, police enforcement, education, etc.). The realism is incredible. And the acting is surprisingly good all around. Surprising because some characters are played by real-life reformed thugs. A preacher is played by an ex-con convicted of major drug crimes, for example.

Most of the characters are based on real baltimore people, and the sets and cinematography are really outstanding. And it's creatively controlled by a former cop and a long time reporter for the baltimore sun (who did homicide and the corner).

It's surprising to me that it still is on the air. Critics love it but it's always overlooked by the emmy's, and it's virtually impenetrable to new audiences who haven't seen all the previous seasons. The dialogue is thick with street jargon too. Although still less opaque than the deadwood dialogue.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:37 pm

"The Wire" is most definitely excellent. The shows the cable channels have produced over the past 5 or 6 years have included some really, really great ones: "The Sopranos", "Sex and the City", "The Shield", "Six Feet Under" and many more.

The same cannot be said of the networks, with one very notable exception:

Anyone remember back in the very late 60's/early 70's the Saturday night line-up CBS had back-to-back???

1) All In The Family
2) The Bob Newhart Show (the one with Suzanne Pleschette)
3) MASH
4) The Mary Tyler Moore Show
5) The Carol Burnett Show

Pure, wonderful, unadulterated. top-drawer entertainment from 8 to 11.
I remember that no one ever wanted to go out early on Saturday nights.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 pm

What's the notable exception? Lost? I would also extoll the virtue of Veronica Mars, The Office, and Scrubs. And anything on FX is worth checking out too. 5-ARD men on nip/tuck, boozing fire fighters on rescue me, rich kids scoring crack so they can go on welfare in it's always sunny... come on! there's lots of good tv these days.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rezin » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:22 pm

personally, i think scrubs is the best thing on tv. with good eats being the second best.

sportsnight is probably my favorite show of all time
rezin
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:39 am

aaron wrote:1) All In The Family
3) MASH

I remember it being mary T./newhart/carol burnett, in that order...I think...anyway it was a staple of our family's saturday night.

My favorite non-pay-tv shows:

WKRP
northern exposure
Love american style
seinfeld, of course..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:01 pm

I vote for Sports Night too. I could watch every episode over and over (and have!).
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby Oprah » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 am

Definitely Deal or No Deal. You have the suspense of wondering what's in the case, the thrill of the offer from that sadistic son of a bitch banker in the shadows, silicone delights, and the adorable Howie. I can't wait for the first season to come out on DVD.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:45 pm

Oprah wrote:I can't wait for the first season to come out on DVD.

The commentary track alone is worth the price of admission.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:39 pm

aaron wrote:Anyone remember back in the very late 60's/early 70's the Saturday night line-up CBS had back-to-back???

1) All In The Family
3) MASH

Pure, wonderful, unadulterated. top-drawer entertainment from 8 to 11.
I remember that no one ever wanted to go out early on Saturday nights.

It certainly wasn't the late '60s - only one of those shows even existed prior to 1970.
That specific lineup occurred for one season only - 1973 - and the correct order was:
1) All In The Family (debuted 1971)
2) M*A*S*H* (debuted 1972)
3) The Mary Tyler Moore Show (debuted 1970)
4) The Bob Newhart Show (debuted 1972)
5) The Carol Burnett Show (debuted 1967)

Carol Burnett was originally on Mondays until 1971, when it switched to Wednesdays. 1973 was its first year on Saturday, taking over the spot previously occupied by Mission: Impossible and Mannix.
M*A*S*H* only spent one season in the Saturday night lineup (replacing Bridget Loves Bernie), spending the bulk of its massive run on Tuesdays (1974-1975, 1975-1978) and Mondays (1978-1983.) After the 1973 season, the Saturday at 8:30 time slot* became a dumping ground for all sorts of forgotten crap, such as Paul Sand in Friends and Lovers, Doc, We've Got Each Other, Bad News Bears and The Tim Conway Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show never aired on any night except Saturday, although its time slot moved around a bit (it kept airing earlier as its run went on.) Ditto Bob Newhart Show.
All In The Family aired on Saturdays from 1971-1975 and then again, briefly, from 1976-1977.

narcoleptish wrote:I remember it being mary T./newhart/carol burnett, in that order

You remember correctly - and not just for 1973. That lineup (from 9:00-11:00) lasted through the 1976-77 season, when Mary Tyler Moore went off the air.

*All times are E.S.T. 'cuz that's how they're listed in my source.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:48 pm

Sorry, this conversation is a little too dated for me. I just need to know the lineup on nick at nite and/or TV Land for those shows. Prof, maybe you can throw that one together after you are done playing bingo at the old folks' home.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:00 pm

TAsunder wrote:Prof, maybe you can throw that one together after you are done playing bingo at the old folks' home.

Maybe you, as a self-proclaimed representative of today's young'uns, need a little basic math refresher if'n you think that remembering the '70s qualifies you for geriatric care.
Anyway, my sourcebook can't help you. Although it proudly proclaims on its cover that it traces the history of television from "1946 - Present", in this case, "the present" means 1985, which predates the existence of Nick at Nite. Heck, it predates the existence of Fox. According to this book, the "fourth network" is DuMont! If you don't know what that is, go ask around the bingo tables.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:03 pm

Supertrain.

Closely followed by Night Boat.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV