MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

postering etiquette

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Posters are...

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:24 pm

a highly effective marketing tool
14%
stupid
9%
a necessary evil
64%
lobsters
14%

Total votes : 22

postering etiquette

Postby bobbyray » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:24 pm

Postering etiquette...is there such a thing in this town? Seems to me that many bands and/or their lackeys in these parts subscribe to a no-holds-barred philosophy of postering. It's most noticable with the kiosks on State Street. Do you think there is or should be an unwritten rule that says you should at least make some token effort not to cover up other bands' posters for upcoming gigs? My standard practice is to respect other people's posters as much as possible unless (1) they have obnoxiously put like 12 of them up on the same kiosk; or (2) the gig is more than a couple weeks in the future. I find that my posters are often totally covered within about a day of being put up. It's frustrating, because I don't have time to go back and do it over and over. I'd be interested in hearing other folks' opinions about this. Do y'all think that all space is fair game? What is your policy when postering? Do you think it's a waste of time anyway?
bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Re: postering etiquette

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:33 pm

Seeing how there's limited space on the kiosks I generally think the rules should be:

1) Try not to cover up posters for events that have not yet taken place.
2) Do not put up more than one poster per kiosk, unless one of them is in a really crappy place, like on the bottom-facing the street.
3) People who post posters larger than 8 1/2 by 11 are hogging space and I don't hesitate to cover all or part of their poster with my own.
4) If you have to cover up an event that is taking place in the future, cover up either a) poster advertising music or dance lesson or anything with little tear-off phone # strips b) posters done by professional promoters or for national acts that don't need the publicity - you know what I'm talking about
5) Use clear tape
6) If someone is abusing the kiosks or taking advantage of them by hogging a lot of space, feel free to cover their poster on every kiosk up and down the street no matter when their event is happening or who they are--we need to discourage that behavior.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:40 pm

I once heard a funny message left on a machine from a local promoter threatening to cancel the band's current and future bookings if they didn't apologize for covering up his posters. That was funny, if you know the promoter I'm talking about. To hear the anger in his voice was a sweet, sweet thing.

I'll usually put one on each side, so people can see it in both directions. But I always try to cover old posters or big ones.

How often do they clean them off entirely? Is there a set schedule?
madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:43 pm

I'm beginning to wonder about the effectiveness of flyering on kiosks, unless you're a major act. Sure, you want to put some up in the businesses where the people you're trying to reach will see it. That kind of flyering is invaluable. Of course, there are benefits to having your name "out there" on the kiosks, but I don't know that it really helps as far as actual turnout.

Etiquette is one of the biggest and most annoying problems with flyering. The promoters have their top ring (cover up one of Tag's in front of him sometime, it's a neat experiment in EuroPromoter Anger). I try to cover only past events, dates that are more than 2 weeks away (kiosks get cleaned weekly, I don't see the harm), larger posters (every time Phat Phunktion used to put their 20 extra sized posters on each State kiosk I would curse them under my breath), and major acts that slip beneath the promoter ring.

I also hate the Cardinal bar posters, I cover them up occasionally too.

Bwahahahahahahahaa.
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:44 pm

Posters are...forons?
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mikey K » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:44 pm

Posters are very effective in providing the homeless with something to wipe their ass with.
Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:46 pm

cattyr wrote:Posters are...forons?

You are serious amounts of fun, catty. ;)
SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:54 pm

I like posters 'cause when I make 'em, I get to screw off w/ Photoshop at work and steal photocopies.

When I was an Impressionable Young Teen, it seemed that making flyers was possibly the best reason for being in a band. It's fairly common for me to make flyers for our shows and then get too lazy to put 'em up. Flyers are fun!

And they're street art, too. They make our downtown appear very lively, creative and colorful, even if it's a 24x36" glossy for "Mudvayne Online Chat 2002! OOOhhh! Facepaint!"

Plus, everyone knows that I'm sexy, cool and intimidating when I'm weilding a staplegun.
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:02 pm

So yeah, I try not to be a dick about flyering.

If I've determined that Your Band Has Put Up Too Many Flyers, I won't have qualms about coving yer shit up.

Otherwise, I try to cover only things that have already occurred. Or the run-of-the-mill "come learn about Palestine/The Hillel/$28 Eye Exam/Fetish Night/Tangy" stuff.

(j/k, kids)

Once, as a young punk with a suspiciously unpopular noise band, we flyered everything that'd take our staples. Trees were not spared. I guess I felt somewhat guilty, for a time, but hell... it was art!
regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:22 pm

Depends on the show and where its at. For Annex shows i try to do 2 passes over a week to 2 weeks. The first round I only post over old shows or open spaces. I go back a week or so later and anyone who covers ours up gets plastered over with 2. If we're playing the Anchor or Klinic it's usually best to flyer near the venue and maybe do one pass down State, Langdon and Willy the week of the show and then I just go over old flyers or open spots. We've also had some street team help every now and then and I cannot account for those people's ettiquette but when I flyer I never post over a current shows flyer unless they have done the same to ours.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:57 pm

As a promoter and artist in one way or another who has been promoted, I generally try and only put 2 posters up, maybe 3 if I think people'll look at the back of the kiosk, and only over the aforementioned national acts/Kaplan, bullshit overposterer and the like.

I've gotten into it with other promoters, and have been so vindictive as to rip/deface all the posters of certain bands/events if they're targeting me (ie postering ONLY over me). I feel no shame in doing that.

I also avoid Tag's posters, if only because it's how he makes his living and I respect that.

Any bands that are jerks and think they can own the kiosk, screw em.

-Matt
eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:27 pm

don't play in town and you won't have to worry about flyering.

:lol:
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:32 pm

SIZZAW wrote:Etiquette is one of the biggest and most annoying problems with flyering. The promoters have their top ring (cover up one of Tag's in front of him sometime, it's a neat experiment in EuroPromoter Anger). Bwahahahahahahahaa.

We were just talking about this after practice last night. Big Mike told us a funny story about putting our posters on the top row only to find them covered over by the time he circled back up State Street.

Bart says he remembers any band that covers up our fresh posters. I asked "Who's done that?" and he couldn't remember anybody specific. I asked him "What do you do about it besides tearing theirs down?" and he said something like "Oh. they'll pay dearly someday." I laughed and left it at that.

If somebody got into a poster war with the promoters it could cost a lot of trees their lives.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:43 pm

SIZZAW wrote:I'm beginning to wonder about the effectiveness of flyering on kiosks, unless you're a major act.

I was gonna say that postering in winter is a waste of time, except I remember the time that you postered all over town for us, for a show I had at Mother Fools in January a few years ago, and we had a great turnout that night...so...

I will temper that with saying that postering in winter is usually far less effective than postering any other time of the year

I think it helps with name recognition for a band. postering alone won't usually effect turnout but it is part of what it takes to build name recognition for a band

now, of course, consider within my opinion that my bands don't usually draw a whole big huge crowd of people (we do OK sometimes) but I have worked for a few bands who have done well with turnout

the more promotion one does, the better, and postering is part of that

and yes, I never cover up another band's poster for a show that hasn't happened yet....
Last edited by AJ Love on Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:45 pm

eurotic wrote:
I also avoid Tag's posters, if only because it's how he makes his living and I respect that.

agreed, me too....
AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Madison Music