MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

What is up with King Street Lately?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Should Club Majestic be closed or punished?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes : 42

Postby juanton » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:20 pm

An interesting quote caught my attention in this article:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/node/2031

Specifically when the cop says:

Leerek notes that it's been a surprisingly "quiet" and "uneventful" night. Sometimes on King Street, she says, there are so many people that the cops have to just let them fight or risk being swarmed by an angry mob.

This cop sucks.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Foundation » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Wow, this thread has come a long way.

To reiterate the point that I made earlier, violence in the streets is a POLICE PROBLEM. We pay police to keep our streets safe, all they have to do is do their job and this problem will disappear. As far as being outnumbered, I don't give a fuck. You know what you are getting into when you become a police officer so don't complain about it after the fact. That is what you get paid to do, if you are scared then we need some new "unafraid" officers. 500 people should not be able to declare lawlessness.

Blaming hip-hop is ridiculous. All of you morons on this thread that said hip-hop is the problem, I challenge you to name 10 mc's and also name an album from each. If you can't, then you don't know enough about hip-hop or its culture to even make an idiotic comment like that. Shut your fuckin mouth and put on some KRS-One.

That said, violence is a dominant theme in rap music nowadays. Why is that? Is violence a common theme in these kids lives, and if so why is that? We as a society forget about our underpriveleged and impoverished people, and then when some of them make bad choices and commit crimes people get all high and mighty. So before you say that I am racist (which I could not be) for pointing out the fact that your opinion is racist, ask yourself why. Why are these kids so prone to violence, why is rap music so violence laden? Gotta get to the root of the problem in order to solve it.

Large groups of black people intimidate and/or frighten most white people. If you want to argue about this point you are a fool. This is (and has been) obvious to all black people. If "these people", as you call them, were white (a la Bullfeathers, KK, Wando's) there would be no community meeting or articles in the paper. This is all about "get those niggers off of my street", I'm just one of the only ones with the balls to say it.

BTW, as a young black man my perception of the world may differ from all of you white folks. I am forcefed your perception everyday on the news, tv shows, movies, etc... Hip-Hop music is my perception, the young
(mostly) black man's perception. Would it hurt that bad to try to understand that perception?
Foundation
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 pm

Great, another racist. And yes, I can call you a racist, because you are. Read your post again and try to focus in on your generalizations of race.

Where is the quote "these people" coming from? I didn't write it. Did I ever mention anything about race? No, you and dtray did. You have no idea what I think about race, or if I use racial slurs. You really don't know anything about me. You seem stuck on generalizing.

Blow me. I'm done arguing with you.
Last edited by juanton on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:16 pm

Foundation wrote:Shut your fuckin mouth and put on some KRS-One.

Oh yeah, that sounds like something KRS-One would say.

"you must learn..and if you don't...shut the fuck up!
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Looks like the city will have the final vote in this poll.
Officials with the Madison city attorney's office said that they are considering taking action against a popular downtown nightclub after police responded to reports of a beer bottle brawl this weekend.

... The city attorney's office said that it's reviewing options for the club, including possible suspension or revocation of one of its licenses, WISC-TV reported.

Officials said that there are four possible options are on the table. Three possibilities involve pursuing suspension or revocation of either the club's license for liquor or live entertainment. The city attorney said that the fourth option -- taking no action -- is "not likely."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Looks like the city will have the final vote in this poll.
Officials with the Madison city attorney's office said that they are considering taking action against a popular downtown nightclub after police responded to reports of a beer bottle brawl this weekend.

... The city attorney's office said that it's reviewing options for the club, including possible suspension or revocation of one of its licenses, WISC-TV reported.

Officials said that there are four possible options are on the table. Three possibilities involve pursuing suspension or revocation of either the club's license for liquor or live entertainment. The city attorney said that the fourth option -- taking no action -- is "not likely."

They're just getting warmed up for when the IPPF rolls in.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:58 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Looks like the city will have the final vote in this poll.

'Bout effin' time.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Foundation » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:47 pm

jammybastard wrote:
Foundation wrote:Shut your fuckin mouth and put on some KRS-One.

Oh yeah, that sounds like something KRS-One would say.

"you must learn..and if you don't...shut the fuck up!

How about "the officer has a right to arrest, and if ya fight back him put a hole in ya chest"

"1 thing 'bout music when it hits you feel no pain, white folks say it controls yo brain, I know better than that, that's game"
Dead Prez, Hip-Hop

Hey Juanton, do you talk to people like that on the street? (Blow me??!!) I bet you don't. Just another internet coward who talks shit online because he/she is afraid in real conversations. Tell someone to blow you in person. You might get punched or slapped, but it'll feel so much better.

BTW Juanton, your last post shows how intelligent you really are. Mr. "I don't use racial slurs, but have no qualms telling someone to blow me." Fuckin' idiot.
Foundation
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:01 pm

I don't get why anyone thinks it would be a desirable for a lone cop or two to just jump into the King St crowd with a 100% chance of being attacked and seriously injured. Nobody would be protected by such an action, if it's certain the crowd would swarm any officer who took such an action. No property would even be protected. Peace would not be restored -- things would probably get worse before they got better that night and you'd have a couple officers out of commission for an indefinite period of time.

Police tactics are meant to have a defined, attainable goal and the actions taken have to lead to the goal. This action would be pointless. More practical is herding people along, dispersing the crowd off the street in several directions. Unless King St starts being treated like the Mifflin Block Party or Halloween, with large numbers of cops standing by, a few people wading into the hostile crowd would be nonsensical.

Why would you think it advisable? I think this cop is smart and realistic. This isn't the Marines in Iraq.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe