MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Nintendo Wii

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

The Nintendo Wii

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:58 am

Well, Nintendo's next-generation console is almost here, two more months.

I wanna talk about the "Virtual Console" portion of the Wii where you can purchase old games and download them through the Wii's wireless internet connection.

Now, I'm a pretty big fan of retro-gaming, great games are great games whether they're from 2006 or 1981. That said, I have a honed sense of value. Nintendo is milking this option for more than what it's worth.

As it stands at launch, it will be $5 to download a NES game, $8 for a SNES game, and $10 for a N64 game, all regardless of title (there is no added fee to access Wii's online home "The Wii Channel", thankfully, although if you want to browse the web there IS a purchase fee for the browser).
The point has been made that one could purchase the actual catridges for less, and the Wii's virtual console option will not be enough to pull people away from using illegal emulators. Sure, this may be an improvement over Nintendo charging $20 a pop under their Classic NES Series for the GBA, but honestly and unrealistically, I had hoped Nintendo's whole back catalog would've been available free of charge on the Wii. I can't picture myself ever being charitable enough to shell out $5-$10 for older games.

I mean, there are classic gaming compilations on current gen consoles from the likes of Atari, Activision, Capcom, Midway, Sega, and Taito that include anywhere from 25 to 85 games for $20 or less - what makes Nintendo think that they are above the market standard?

Perhaps they can bamboozle a younger generation and their parents, but then again wouldn't it be the generation that grew up on the NES who would be most interested in revisiting these games?

Gamespot's Gut Reactions
Gamespot's Wii Launch Center
The Nintendo Wii Official Site
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 am

What I'd like to see is Nintendo implementing some sort of system that would allow one to download, free of charge, the games that they already own.
Toxic Ned

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:21 pm

Wii....what a dumb name.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:What I'd like to see is Nintendo implementing some sort of system that would allow one to download, free of charge, the games that they already own.

That's a nice dream to have isn't it? Albeit entirely unrealistic - there'd be no way for Nintendo to verify something like that.

Maybe if Nintendo offered "package downloads" I'd might bite, say $20 for either 20 NES games, 15 16-bit (SNES, GEN, TG-16) games, or 10 N64 games.

The Wii has got a few things right:
- A cheaper price tag than either next-gen alternatives (Xbox 360, PS3).
- The Wii includes a game (Wii Sports), what a concept!
- The Wii is backwards compatible with Gamecube games right out of the box.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:40 pm

It sounds like a rip off, but there are a lot of people excited about it anyway, so I'd say the Wii is nothing to shake a stick at. GET IT?!! Shake a stick!!! AHAHAHA.

I don't know about you, but if it is the same price, I'd much rather have the virtual version. Less hassle to hook up the old console and what not.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Nintendo Wii

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:17 pm

I just got Donkey Kong working on Mame, and I couldn't be happier. How high can you get?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:18 am

TAsunder wrote:I don't know about you, but if it is the same price, I'd much rather have the virtual version. Less hassle to hook up the old console and what not.

I hear ya, don't get me wrong - I love the option, just not the pricing.

Another thing Nintendo is getting right with the release of the Wii?
Zelda: The Twilight Princess being released at launch.
Definitely a "killer app", whereas the Xbox 360 didn't really have one at launch (and still doesn't IMO), and it doesn't look like there's a clear-cut killer-app at launch for the PS3 so far either.
Last edited by MadMind on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:53 am

Interesting, but I've been reading a lot of negative backlash over the fact that they are including wii sports with it, because game companies are worried that people will be less likely to buy their launch titles. With zelda and sports, not sure if I or anyone else is going to have much $ left over...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:37 am

MadMind wrote:
Toxic Ned wrote:What I'd like to see is Nintendo implementing some sort of system that would allow one to download, free of charge, the games that they already own.

That's a nice dream to have isn't it? Albeit entirely unrealistic - there'd be no way for Nintendo to verify something like that.

True. But if they could find a way to establish some sort of way to do that via an extra accessory like a cartridge reader, it'd be well worth it. I don't want to have to repurchase the 100+ games I have for the various systems, but like you said, verification for ownership on such a large scale would be near impossible to do.

Maybe if Nintendo offered "package downloads" I'd might bite, say $20 for either 20 NES games, 15 16-bit (SNES, GEN, TG-16) games, or 10 N64 games.

That would make a lot of sense for them to do and would really appeal to the folks looking to get their hands on those games that they couldn't/didn't get when they were younger.
Toxic Ned

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:59 am

Toxic Ned wrote:
MadMind wrote:

True. But if they could find a way to establish some sort of way to do that via an extra accessory like a cartridge reader, it'd be well worth it. I don't want to have to repurchase the 100+ games I have for the various systems, but like you said, verification for ownership on such a large scale would be near impossible to do.

Even if it were possible, doing so would be like Nintendo throwing away money. They wouldn't be so gracious. It's still a business afterall.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:15 am

Very true. Plus it doesn't sound like they've got all the third party distributors signed on. While we may be able to play all of Nintendo's library, we may be screwed on playing some of the more memorable classics.

Do you know if they've got a list of available games out yet?
Toxic Ned

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:55 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:Very true. Plus it doesn't sound like they've got all the third party distributors signed on. While we may be able to play all of Nintendo's library, we may be screwed on playing some of the more memorable classics.

Do you know if they've got a list of available games out yet?

Launch Titles
FIRST-PARTY US WII TITLES
Excite Truck
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports (bundled with the Wii console)
THIRD-PARTY US WII TITLES
Activision
Call of Duty 3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
World Series of Poker
Atlus
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
EA
Madden NFL 07
Need for Speed: Carbon
Konami
Elebits
Sega
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Ubisoft
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Far Cry: Vengeance
GT Pro Series
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Open Season
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent

As for the games available at launch for the Wii Channel's "Virtual Console"? I'll have to get back to you on that.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:11 pm

Official List Of Wii Virtual Console Partners
Rumored Virtual Console Launch List

1. Bonk's Adventure
2. Castlevania
3. Duck Hunt
4. Excitebike
5. F-Zero
6. Kid Icarus
7. Legend of Zelda, The
8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. Mario Kart 64
10. Metroid
11. Mortal Kombat
12. New Adventure Island
13. Ninja Gaiden
14. OutRun
15. Pac-Man
16. Prince of Persia
17. Punch-Out!!
18. R-Type
19. Rayman 2
20. Sonic the Hedgehog
21. Star Fox
22. Super Mario 64
23. Super Mario Bros
24. Super Mario Kart
25. Super Mario World
26. Tecmo Bowl
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 pm

MadMind wrote:Rumored Virtual Console Launch List
1. Bonk's Adventure

Say no more, I'm in.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:15 pm

I suppose it's only fair to mention that The Wii isn't the only next-gen console to offer "classic games".
The Xbox 360 has Xbox Live Arcade with prices ranging from $5 to $15 per title (they just added Doom to their roster of available games).

You have to be an Xbox Live subscriber (silver membership is free) to have access to purchase Xbox Live Arcade titles, the internet connection isn't wireless (the wireless networking adapter is an extra $100), either a memory unit ($39.99 sold seperately) or the Xbox 360 hard drive is required (not included with the core system, $100 if bought seperately), and you do need an Xbox Live Arcade starter disc (free).

One thing you can do with Xbox Live Arcade that I don't believe will be available on "The Wii Channel" is having the option of downloading trial versions of each game free of cost.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games