MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Dumb-ass Favre

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Postby superman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:The best defense in the NFL is a clock-chewing offense.

Their defense isn't helping matters. It would also help if they could run the ball.
superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:57 pm

After 3 games, we can see the following about the Packers:

1. They have abssolutely no ground game. Some have pointed to the rookies on the Oline, but I think it has more to do with the new cut blocking scheme. The mistakes being made out there are not just being committed my the rookies or Wells, but also by Tauscher and Clifton. I think they just don't know their assignments yet, or how to execute them. If they can pick this up by mideseason, they might yet have a decent year. If not. . . .

2. Pass blocking has gotten better every game. Part of that has to do with the opponent, but the Lions have a decent Dline, and they didn't manage to get to Favre. The rookies did pretty well in this regard.

3. Favre has been just fine. Excellent, even, last week. Each week he seems to be making fewer stupid throws. Last year I thought that Sherman let Favre get away with too much; he failed to ride herd on him, and Favre's game suffered as a result. I'm not at practice, but it sure does look as if McCarthy is gving Favre the Holmgren treatment. Or maybe its Tom Clements. Either way, so far so good for Brett.

4. Ahman Green can still play. Unfortunately, William Henderson is reaching the end. He's not getting to his blocks as quickly, and he's not taking guys out as he used to. That's really hurt the running game too.

5. The defensive line is weak at the point of attack, and cannot generate any consistent pass rush. Some have touted the play of Aaron Kampman, but I haven't seen him to be any better than anyone else.

6. A.J. Hawk is a football player. He's gotten better every week, and is gonna be a stud. Brady Poppinga is not. He hasn't improved one iota, yet for some reason the coaches are determined to keep him in the lineup. I suspect he's one of those high motor guys who looks great in practice, but he always takes himself out of position in the game. He's not just weak against the pass; he's also weak at the point of attack against the run. At least he's making Nick Barnett look good.

7. I was wondering why the secondary has looked so crappy this season. I know that Charles Woodson is getting on in years, but he's never looked this bad before. Marquand Manuel has also looked better in the past. We know Ahmad Carroll is gonna suck, but even the reliable Al Harris and up and coming Nick Collins seem to have regressed this year. And then I remembered- didn't we get rid of Kurt Shottenheimer for a reason? Why exactly is he back?

I still think this team can be 8-8 or thereabouts. But to do it, they're going to have to put some points on the board. There are a number of really bad teams out there (unfortunately, the Raiders aren't on the schedule), and even some of the good teams aren't as good as they have been.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:07 am

GO BEARS!!!!
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:39 pm

GO BEARS!!!!!!
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:35 pm

GO BEARS???
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:37 am

go fins....
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby oranger » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:47 pm

347 yards and two touchdowns, zero interceptions at the metrodome no less.
The old man can still play. The team is getting better every week. At 4-5 is it too early to be talking about playoffs?
oranger
Forum Addict

Postby The Dude » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:23 pm

GO PACK GO!
The Dude

Postby buckyor » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

oranger wrote:347 yards and two touchdowns, zero interceptions at the metrodome no less.
The old man can still play. The team is getting better every week. At 4-5 is it too early to be talking about playoffs?

They are getting better every week, with the exception of the secondary. I see a lot of guys looking at each other, wondering where they were supposed to be. Just like 2 years ago. I really think this is a Kurt Schottenheimer thing, and not a talent thing.

And yes, it's too early to talk about the playoffs.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Dude » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:30 am

However, if they win this weekend there will definately be playoff talk.
The Dude

Postby Smartypants » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:51 pm

The Dude wrote:However, if they win this weekend there will definately be playoff talk.

Bwahhahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Go Bears!

Go Bears!
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Aaron Rodgers broke his foot yesterday. If Brett doesn't play, Ingle Martin is starting.

Oy vay.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

favre

Postby junior » Mon May 14, 2007 12:22 pm

the fact that Favre would even want that Moss piece of crap on his team is totally ridiculous. here's a guy who was a criminal and a cancer in Minnesota. he was terrible in Oakland, and now he's past his prime. what evidence is there to suggest that he will be anything other than bad in Boston, even if he stays healthy? answer: there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest Randy Moss will be worth a dime on anybody's team. is Favre drinking again? :?:
junior

Re: favre

Postby Stomach » Tue May 15, 2007 7:07 am

junior wrote:the fact that Favre would even want that Moss piece of crap on his team is totally ridiculous. here's a guy who was a criminal and a cancer in Minnesota. he was terrible in Oakland, and now he's past his prime. what evidence is there to suggest that he will be anything other than bad in Boston, even if he stays healthy? answer: there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest Randy Moss will be worth a dime on anybody's team. is Favre drinking again? :?:

Are you drinking?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Tue May 15, 2007 8:07 am

Go Bears!
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking