MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Little Girl in the Men's Room

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Bringing a little girl into a public men's room without notice or knocking?

Sure, no problem. Why are you so uptight?
59%
Are you out of your freakin' mind?
41%

Total votes : 27

Postby spanky » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:06 am

jjoyce wrote:I don't wanna be all polarizing or anything, but this is clearly an area where people with kids feel one way and those without disagree.

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. I have no kids and have no problem with a father helping her daughter to the restroom.

I think Stu et al should lighten up and recognize that it gives others the impression you are up to something other than relieving yourself if you are so concerned that you're gonna break daddy down on his way into the pisser.

I think the Dad had it right; you are the one with the problem Stu.

Plus it isn't called The Center for the Contemporary Arts. It is the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art

And finally, JJ - you don't speak for those of us without kids - obviously.
Last edited by spanky on Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DMeister » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:25 am

WTF kind of puritanical hangup is that?
DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:33 am

As a father of two daughters, I would have to say knocking or a quick peek in by the father would have been the polite thing to do... unless the child really had a need.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:30 am

I'd say it's not ideal, but it wouldn't particularly bother me.

What did bother me was an incident a couple of years ago in which someone brought a little girl into the men's locker room at Princeton. I mean, you have all manner of humanity parading around naked there. I notice since then they put a sign up prohibiting that. What a commentary that people have such poor judgement that it's necessary to post a sign!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Suoiragerg » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:33 am

I have gotten everything from odd looks to a knowing nod while taking my 1.5 year old into the men's room for handwashing or a diaper change. I haven't really thought about when we can stop this but am looking forward to that day.

Another thing to remember is some kids are bigger or smaller than others. A 4 year old can at times look 7 and a 6 year old 4.

Also, the guy taking the child into the men's room is not enjoying this experience either and will be defensive.

The first instinct is to fight back in defense of the child so the response to Stu is probably situation based. Dad having to take child into men's room and then having to defend said child's right to be there. What did you expect Stu, the daddy to say you are right and take the child out of the men's room with urine dribbling down her leg?
Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:31 pm

This is an interesting thread, but let's also point out that the dude who started it has been known to provide an inappropriate response from time to time himself.

The other factor to keep in mind is experience. What if this guy once sent his daughter into the women's room and then proceeded to stand outside and wait for five.... ten.... fifteen excrutiating minutes for her to emerge. As a parent, you want a little more control in a public restroom situation than that. I have more than once had to stand around in the men's room while my kid takes his own sweet time finishing up, nodding and smiling at the guys coming in and out wondering what the hell I'm doing holding up the hand dryer.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:43 pm

jjoyce wrote:This is an interesting thread, but let's also point out that the dude who started it has been known to provide an inappropriate response from time to time himself.

The other factor to keep in mind is experience. What if this guy once sent his daughter into the women's room and then proceeded to stand outside and wait for five.... ten.... fifteen excrutiating minutes for her to emerge. As a parent, you want a little more control in a public restroom situation than that. I have more than once had to stand around in the men's room while my kid takes his own sweet time finishing up, nodding and smiling at the guys coming in and out wondering what the hell I'm doing holding up the hand dryer.

Got no problem with that, and I admit it's possible Stu's remark may have been more confrontational than it seems, and I'll even go one more and admit that the guy might have responded with less vitriol than Stu claims.

Still. If you know you've made other people uncomfortable, the proper thing to do is say my kid's safety comes first and I have to do this but I'm sorry. It doesn't do your kid any good for you to be an ass.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:05 pm

Piss and let piss.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:07 pm

I wish more places had "family" restrooms -- basically a single room, accessible from an outer hall but not labeled as gender-specific, where someone could easily take their kid in without having to worry about being surrounded by other people who may or may not be so accommodating. I've seen restrooms like this made handicapped accessible for poeple who need more room for wheelchairs, attendants, or both.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 pm

towanda wrote:
How about a little girl...scarred for life???

Oh, stop it. That's not going to scar anybody.

Unless you have seen Stu, you can't say that. seriously.
:lol:
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:24 pm

DMeister wrote:WTF kind of puritanical hangup is that?

The same puritanical hangup that says a marriage should only be between a man and a woman!
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby emmy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:38 pm

My husband was standing at the sink washing up after using the urinal at the Barrymore when a stall door swung open and his daughter walked out and said "Hey Dad!! The line for the women's is too long." :lol:

I guess that's not the same thing. :wink:
emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:51 pm

emmy wrote:My husband was standing at the sink washing up after using the urinal at the Barrymore when a stall door swung open and his daughter walked out and said "Hey Dad!! The line for the women's is too long." :lol:

I guess that's not the same thing. :wink:

Did his daughter stay in the men's room to wash up or did she pull a Poppy?
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe