Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Transformers

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Transformers

Postby MadMind » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:44 pm

Transformers Classics

Transformers: The Movie (1986)
20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD to be released 11.07.06.

Transformers Movie (live action)
Last edited by MadMind on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:11 pm

I gotta say, as one of The OuttaToons, that the Transformers theme is just about the most impossible-ass song to figure out how to play! There's some weird time sig stuff that we can't decide whether it's musically arranged & played that way or if the song itself was just audio snippets pieced together. It's a really cool theme, and a head-scratcher too!
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cory Schmidt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:55 am

The "guy with the cassette deck in his chest" you are thinking of is probably Soundwave. He was the Decepticon that turned into a blue walkman.

There was an Autobot that turned into a red boom box shose name was Blaster. He was nowhere near as cool as Soundwave though.

I actually may buy the Transformers movie. It's one of a few TV cartoon movies that was actually good - it actually had a decent storyline and didn't seem slapped together for the sole purpose of making money and selling toys.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby tibor » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 pm

I have a box of transformers in the basement from when I was a kid. Soundwave is in there, along with all the constructacons who formed like voltron to create that big transformer dude.

The sad thing is, I have no idea how most of them work anymore, so I'm afraid I'm just going to snap them all to pieces if I try to transform them. And can't remember which guns go with which guy. So they sit there, waiting for ebay.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cory Schmidt » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:23 pm

There's a box at my parent's house full of Transformers as well. Most of them are still in good shape (a lot of weapons are missing though). Soundwave, which was my favorite as a kid unfortunately has no head anymore.

Unlike you, I can remember how all of them transform. In fact, I make sure to include that on my resume. It's things like that that really set you apart.
Cory Schmidt
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:25 pm

I just found out Soundwave has been reincarnated in the form of a Toys "R" US exclusive commemorative series.
http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=9371
http://www.transformersclassics.com/sou ... issue.html

But it seems as if it mostly sold via online and was rarely found on store shelves. It retailed for $29.99, and is currently unavailable.
So now of course you have collectors who bought more than one and some who are hawking them on Amazon for nearly double the retail.

Apparently the American classics and commemorative releases are more child-proof than the Japanese releases to comply with US child safety laws (i.e. no sharp edges, none of the US reissues have spring loaded launchers so the missles do not fire etc.).

One US consumer who chose to order the Japanese reissue did say that neither the US or Japanese releases have workmanship comparable to the originals.

Q&A
Is the Commemorative Soundwave and Classics Soundwave the same?
Yes. Well, there isn't a "Classics" Soundwave, but Commemorative Soundwave is released in Classics packaging.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All