MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Nintendo Wii

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Toxic Ned » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am

And now the Opera browser is going to be offered as a free download for the Wii until next summer.

I should see if it's available for my DS yet...
Toxic Ned

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:27 pm

MadMind wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I don't know about you, but if it is the same price, I'd much rather have the virtual version. Less hassle to hook up the old console and what not.

I hear ya, don't get me wrong - I love the option, just not the pricing.

Another thing Nintendo is getting right with the release of the Wii?
Zelda: The Twilight Princess being released at launch.
Definitely a "killer app", whereas the Xbox 360 didn't really have one at launch (and still doesn't IMO) and so far it doesn't look like there's a clear-cut killer-app at launch for the PS3 either.

The 360 didn't really need a killer app. They were shipping when the other 2 consoles were still having problems with production. I guess I kind of consider Oblivion to be their killer app so far, but the fact that you can get it on PC sort of dampens it. If you don't want to spend 1000 to run it on high, you need the 360.

Anyway, Gears of War is coming in time for the release of the other 2 consoles. It needs a Fable 2 to get me to buy it.

And I won't be buying a Wii. It's as powerful as a regular Xbox. The 360 and PS3 are going to stomp all over it.

Nintendo always seems to do well with their gimmicky crap though. Look at the DS.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:10 am

Toxic Ned wrote:And now the Opera browser is going to be offered as a free download for the Wii until next summer.

Thanks for update Ned, I was not aware. It's really difficult to browse the net with a console, but I've always considered it to be a back-up option if your computer is down. I used my Sega Dreamcast for that purpose a few times (my dreamcast keyboard is now useless :-( ).

Beer Moon wrote:The 360 didn't really need a killer app. They were shipping when the other 2 consoles were still having problems with production. I guess I kind of consider Oblivion to be their killer app so far, but the fact that you can get it on PC sort of dampens it. If you don't want to spend 1000 to run it on high, you need the 360.

You're right, Oblivion is probably the closest thing that the 360 has to being a killer app. But you make a good point, to me a killer app is something that is exclusive to the console, or exclusive for at least the first 6 months to a year. Another reason I wouldn't consider it to be so is the fact that an in-depth 100+ hour RPG is geared more towards a niche market and not something that just anybody can jump into.

Beer Moon wrote:And I won't be buying a Wii. It's as powerful as a regular Xbox. The 360 and PS3 are going to stomp all over it.

Nintendo always seems to do well with their gimmicky crap though. Look at the DS.

Well, the console wars isn't always all about power (3DO, Neo Geo anyone?). It's about games (and price), and Nintendo's exclusives have always been enough for me to warrant purchase. Zelda: The Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and the thought of playing games in a new way is enough to sell me on it.

I agree with you on the DS, but would you have called the original Nintendo "gimmicky" for introducing 'control pads' in favor of the standard joystick? Or when they introduced thumb-size analog control? Or the "rumble" feature? In every one of those cases Nintendo first introduced it then everyone followed. The PS3 is already copying Nintendo by releasing controllers that are motion- sensitive.

Is the "Wii-mote" nothing more than a gimmick that won't keep gamers interest in the long-run, or something that will only work well on a small handful of games? Is the Wii's graphics just a half-step up from the Gamecube? Perhaps, but Nintendo has made it clear that they're not going for exactly the same audience as the Xbox 360 and the PS3 - they're not participating in the tech wars.
They are hoping to keep costs low and go for an even wider audience hoping to bring people in that wouldn't normally play games, or haven't played them since 1987. Will it work? I don't know, time will tell.
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Another thing to add is that to play all of the Wii's "Virtual Console" games you may need the Wii Retro Controller Image
It will be sold seperately and I am unsure of the price. I'm not sure if Nintendo has released that information yet.

You can tip your Wii-mote (included with console) sideways to play NES games, but I don't think it has the amount of buttons needed to play anything above 8-bit.

The Wii also comes with 4 Gamecube controller ports so you can play Gamecube games. Although if you never owned a Gamecube or got rid of yours etc., you might be able to use the new Wii Retro Controller in place of an original Gamecube controller. I am unsure about this, though I can't imagine why not.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159176.html]Report: Prelaunch Wii kiosks only at GameStop
Texas paper says retailer only store for hands-on time with new system before it goes on sale; stations expected mid-November.[/url]
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:10 am

Here's an example of the absurdity of the Wii's Virtual Console pricing.

Let's assume that the pricing on Genesis games will be be on par with Nintendo's 16-bit counterpart, the SNES, at eight dollars per title.

Take the Sega Genesis Collection which will be released November 7th on the PS2 (and the PSP).
It contains 28 Sega Genesis games and will retail for $19.99, 6 of which have already been confirmed to become available on the Wii Channel.

Even if you were to purchase a mere 6 Genesis games on the Wii's Virtual Console it would cost more than price of the Sega Genesis Collection, which contains 28 games!

Lets say for the sake of arguement that all 28 of these Sega Genesis games became available on the Wii Channel at some point. Purchasing 28 Genesis games for the Virtual Console at $8 bucks a pop would run you $224!!!

As I see things, the Wii's Virtual Console pricing should be something along these lines;
8-bit titles: Free. Call it incentive.
16-bit titles: $1
N64 titles: $2
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:42 am

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/news.html?sid=6157642]Zelda delayed on GameCube
Twilight Princess won't release alongside Wii version as planned; game now set for December 11 release.[/url]
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 am

MadMind wrote:Here's an example of the absurdity of the Wii's Virtual Console pricing.

Let's assume that the pricing on Genesis games will be be on par with Nintendo's 16-bit counterpart, the SNES, at eight dollars per title.

Take the Sega Genesis Collection which will be released November 7th on the PS2 (and the PSP).
It contains 28 Sega Genesis games and will retail for $19.99, 6 of which have already been confirmed to become available on the Wii Channel.

Even if you were to purchase a mere 6 Genesis games on the Wii's Virtual Console it would cost more than price of the Sega Genesis Collection, which contains 28 games!

Lets say for the sake of arguement that all 28 of these Sega Genesis games became available on the Wii Channel at some point. Purchasing 28 Genesis games for the Virtual Console at $8 bucks a pop would run you $224!!!

As I see things, the Wii's Virtual Console pricing should be something along these lines;
8-bit titles: Free. Call it incentive.
16-bit titles: $1
N64 titles: $2

Okay, that's just ridiculous. I agree with you, MadMind. Any of these compliation games that are coming out are usually pretty darned affordable for the normal person, plus have some sort of updates or extras added to them to make them worthwhile. Charging $8 for them is just insane and shooting Nintendo in the foot.

MadMind wrote:[url=http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/news.html?sid=6157642]Zelda delayed on GameCube
Twilight Princess won't release alongside Wii version as planned; game now set for December 11 release.[/url]

And this is just fucking stupid and they've shot themselves in the other foot, now giving themselves not much to stand on. Including this game as a launch title was Wii's major selling point, at least in my eyes. Now there's not much incentive to get the Wii at launch just because of this delay.
Toxic Ned

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:
MadMind wrote:[url=http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/news.html?sid=6157642]Zelda delayed on GameCube

And this is just fucking stupid and they've shot themselves in the other foot, now giving themselves not much to stand on. Including this game as a launch title was Wii's major selling point, at least in my eyes. Now there's not much incentive to get the Wii at launch just because of this delay.

I think you misunderstood. I know that headline is confusing. Nintendo is delaying the Gamecube release of Zelda: The Twilight Princess. The Wii version is still scheduled to be released with the Wii. Initially both the Wii and Gamecube versions were supposed to be released on the same day. I think Nintendo is giving Gamecube owners a buffer zone to try and sway them to upgrade to the Wii.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Toxic Ned » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:29 am

Yeah, I did misread it. :oops: The joys of quick scanning the post, then someone distracting you as you're writing the post.

So now it's back to Nintendo shooting themselves in one foot with the pricing of the game downloads.
Toxic Ned

Postby jammybastard » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:14 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:So now it's back to Nintendo shooting themselves in one foot with the pricing of the game downloads.

It's all going that way though.
The game companies are going to find a way to squeeze every cent of gamers.

BTW - slightly off topic, biggest fuck up of the year...
EA's BF2142 forcing users to accept a back-door to their computers so EA can sell in-game advertising space.
Of course gamers still pay $50 for the priviledge of being advertised to.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Updated Wii Virtual Console launch line-up.

NES
Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Ice Hockey
Pinball
Soccer
Tennis
Urban Champion
Wario's Woods
Baseball
Solomon's Key

SNES
F-Zero
SimCity

Nintendo 64
Super Mario 64

Sega Genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Columns
Ecco the Dolphin
Gunstar Heroes
Space Harrier II
Toe Jam & Earl
Ristar
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

TurboGrafx-16
Bonk's Adventure
Super Star Soldier
Victory Run
Bomberman '93
Dungeon Explorer
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:46 pm

I pull into BestBuy last night to get a new cable modem and there's this line of people in front of the store, for some reason mostly dressed in Packer green and wrapped in Packer stadium blankets or sleeping bags, sitting in lawn furniture. I asked inside and found they're all waiting for wee. I mean wii.
Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuestionIt » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Billy Shears wrote:I asked inside and found they're all waiting for wee. I mean wii.

Yeah, I sometimes go into Best Buy to take a Wee Wii too. 8)
QuestionIt

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:30 pm

AH! Hahahahahahaha!

**geeksnort**

Loser.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games