MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Peanut Butter et al

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Peanut Butter: name brand, or natural?

Leading Brands
22%
Lesser known, but same style as leading brands
11%
Organic / natural
67%
Homemade
No votes
Peanut butter? I snack on regular butter, straight up
No votes

Total votes : 18

Postby AndyWx80 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:40 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
And then you better have bread as dense as concrete if you want to be able to spread it without waiting for it to thaw.

I'm not a fan of delayed gratification when it comes to peanut butter. Don't care how, I want it now.

actually, it hasn't been a problem for me with tj's brand. just had some on a lightly toasted bagel and it spread quite easily.
AndyWx80
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:49 am

I've gotten a brand of peanut butter at Pick n' Save that was just peanuts, no added salt. I can't remember the name, but it was the best natural peanut butter I've had. It stayed soft even in the fridge.

I'll also give a shout out for Natural Crunch Sunbutter. Made from sunflower seeds, it provides everything you'd want from peanut butter sans the peanuts.
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby Paco » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:14 pm

i stir it up once, then keep it on the countertop. never separates again, and never goes rancid. Always soft.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:12 pm

Paco wrote:i stir it up once, then keep it on the countertop. never separates again, and never goes rancid. Always soft.

I suppose it also depends on how quickly one goes through a jar. The labels on most hot sauce says refrigerate after opening. I've never had any go bad when stored in my kitchen cabinets. But then hot sauce was created to slow down germ/mold growth. Peanuts, on the other hand, can incubate some real bad ass stuff.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:03 am

The "peanuts and salt" version we get from Woodmans is the HOLSUM brand. We stopped getting sugared/oiled pb when we overhauled our eating after our son was born. We threw out everything that had high fructose corn syrup in it and stopped buying things that had unnecessary extra fat and sugar added to them. I suppose the texture is really different in the au natural pb but I find it tastes the same if not better than the name brands. And yes, as someone mentioned before--both kinds have identical nutritional information. I dug out an old jar of the "bad" pb and it has the same fat, sodium and carb percentages.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:38 am

I hate gotta-stir PB. If you want peanuts-only flavor, eat a peanut.

Skippy Honey Nut is my favorite crunchy. Creamy Jif is the best way to fatten up apples or celery.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby northwoods_babe » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:59 pm

I'm a huge fan of smooth peanut butter, generic or name brand, doesn't matter. I've never tried the organic stuff, and due to my modest income I tend to shy away from buying anything for my cupboard that doesn't look like it would survive a nuclear winter.

I'm not really a health nut (ha ha), but I think that if your regular breakfast/lunch consists of english muffins or some other bread with peanut butter on top, choosing the sugary pb over the salty organic stuff isn't going to kill you. After all, many of your fellow Americans make worse choices for meals, such as CrapDonald's or some enormously high caloric 'coffee' at Starbuck's.

For a diversion this summer, I went to the Washington Hotel Coffee Room and tried out their pistachio butter sandwich with rhubarb jelly. Yum-my.
northwoods_babe

Peanut butter et al

Postby Lily » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:35 pm

No hydrogented fats or corn syrup solids. Yuk.

Natural peanut butter. Peanuts and salt. Period. If you don't like the separation, put it in a tupperware container larger than the p-nut butter jar, stir and keep in fridge. The peanut butter will not separate if its cold.

Too much chemical and other crud in our food chain.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hi, i'm new here » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Try willy st if you want natural but don't like to stir. They have a grinding machine that gives fresh peanut butter that doesn't have oil separation.

The only problem with it is I like salted PB... so i sometimes buy the jar that require stirring. It takes about one minute to stir. It's not very difficult as long as you don't spill oil over the brim.
hi, i'm new here

Postby mayact4 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:46 pm

I stir, store in the fridge, and then microwave the jar (sans lid of course) for about 20 seconds when I'm ready to spread. Just softens enough to make it easy to spread.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues