MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Badger Football Bitching Central

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Wisconsin: _______?

Jobbed
45%
Rightfully placed
18%
Overrated
18%
Unfortunate victim of a just rule
18%

Total votes : 11

Badger Football Bitching Central

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:11 am

Anyone who wants to bitch about how league rules prevent more than two teams from any one conference to participate in BCS bowls, should do it here.

Anyone who thinks the Badgers shouldn't go ahead of teams like Boise State and LSU, by all means, speak up.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:40 am

It is a silly rule. However, would the Badgers have such a good record if they had played bigger schools than Buffalo, San Diego State Bowling Green and Western Illinois. I find it kind of embarassing that Wisconsin tries to pack its schedule with "easy" wins.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:47 am

shelly wrote:It is a silly rule. However, would the Badgers have such a good record if they had played bigger schools than Buffalo, San Diego State Bowling Green and Western Illinois. I find it kind of embarassing that Wisconsin tries to pack its schedule with "easy" wins.

Buffalo could have said no to the big paycheck and near-guaranteed loss. There's "guilt" on both sides. Anyway, it's the nature of the league. Look who schedules Troy, or San Diego State, or all those I-AA schools from down south. At the end of the day, you can win or lose any game (although it's less likely in football than in, say, basketball).

And take Notre Dame. They played all three service academies. I thank them for their service, but their football teams suck ass. The only difference between ND's schedule and Wisconsin's is that ND played and barely beat Georgia Tech. ND's only loss came to Michigan. Given that one statistically significant win, I think UW's placement a couple spots back of ND in the standings is appropriate.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:06 pm

Wisconsin would wipe the field with Florida, but I think they'd have a tougher time with LSU, and ND would beat them pretty easily.

I agree that Bucky should be ranked higher than a team that has two losses and needed overtime to beat Ole Miss this weekend. And Florida would have another loss if Steve Spurrier's team knew how to kick the ball. Teams like Boise State shouldn't be in the top 15, much less bitching about not getting into the BCS. Rutgers proved that this weekend.

Wisconsin is pretty good, but not great. They've played one ranked opponent all season, and lost to them. The big 10 in general is down a bit this year. I think they'll win their bowl game, but we'll see - Alvarez was great at getting the team ready to play post-season, it will be interesting to see if Bielema can continue that.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:44 pm

tibor wrote:Wisconsin would wipe the field with Florida...

FSU? What are you smoking?
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:58 pm

jammybastard wrote:

Jeez, FSU would definitely be a win for Wisconsin. Florida, on the other hand, might be a tough game. With Stocco, we'd win. With Donovan, PJ Hill and the defensive front would have to be s-t-o-u-t stout.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:00 pm

jammybastard wrote:

Have you actually watched Florida play this year? No, huh?

They beat an unranked SC team only because the Cocks had two field goals and one extra point blocked. SC outplayed them the entire game, and it was in the Swamp.

They lost to Auburn, who is an OK team but overrated.

The Gators have a lot of speed, but they're a finesse team. Wisconsin would pound the living piss out of them. Watch Florida get crushed by whomever they play in a bowl game.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:49 pm

Notre Dame's got the (currently) #2 and #3 BCS teams on their schedule this year, by choice. Wisconsin has one of those teams on their conference schedule and lucked out on missing Ohio State this year.

But frankly, this whole discussion is why we ought to have a 16-team playoff. You think the Badgers are getting screwed by a technicality that will keep them out of the Sugar Bowl? Boise State looks like they're going to go undefeated this year, despite the fact that they knew from the first day of practice that they couldn't win the title. They may get a BCS game, but they won't get the Buckeyes.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby tibor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:30 am

aaronetc wrote:Boise State looks like they're going to go undefeated this year, despite the fact that they knew from the first day of practice that they couldn't win the title. They may get a BCS game, but they won't get the Buckeyes.

Half the teams in the Big 10 would go undefeated if they played the Boise State schedule. Utah State? Idaho? Sacramento State? Come on. The only teams on that schedule that are even a little good are Oregon State and Hawaii.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:54 pm

So put them in a playoff and prove they can't beat legit teams. Any sport that allows an undefeated team no shot to win that sport's championship is simply not a sport, it is a contest. Can you imagine if, this season, the Bears* went undefeated but didn't get to go to the Super Bowl because the rest of their division blows, and so nobody wanted to vote them into one of the top two spots? Sports are about winning games, and Boise State has so far won every game on their Div. 1-A schedule.

* Yes, I hate the Bears, but can you think of a better team with worse divisional competition this year?
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby buckyor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:31 pm

It's threads like this one that make me appreciate Lewis Black's schtick.

Are there really people here that believe that Florida and FSU are the same school? I almost bit through my coffee mug reading the back and forth on that.

Are the Badgers rated where they ought to be? Probably not. I think they and Notre Dame are about equivalent; the Domers have one slightly better win than the Badgers (GT is probably a little better than Iowa or Minnesota), but the Badgers loss at UM is better than the stomping ND took at home from the Wolverines. The reason the Irish are ranked so much higher than Wisconsin is that they are Notre Dame, and because they were ranked highly at the beginning of the year, while the Badgers started the season out of the polls. If ND beats Troy this weekend, then I'd give them the edge, but not until then. As it is right now, I'd say UW is probably a spot or two too low, and ND is several spots too high.

Florida and Arkansas are tougher to figure. Historically the SEC has been tough, so a one-loss team from that conference generally looks good. But this year the conference looks pretty mediocre. Arkansas got absolutely drilled at home by SC early in the season, but has played better since, going unbeaten in the conference and not having been challenged in 2 months. Florida's loss was a tough one at Auburn, but they've survived several squeakers.

As it is, either Florida or Arkansas will drop behind the Badgers with a loss, and ND will do so as well if they lose to the Trojans (although I think USC's strength of schedule could keep them ahead of UW even with a 2d loss). So the Badgers stand a very good chance of rising to 6th in the BCS prior to the bowls. The #6 team ought to get a better bid than the Citrus Bowl, but that's what you get with the BCS.

As for an unbeaten team like Boise State not getting to play for the title- I'm sure the folks at Utah and Auburn have their violins out for you.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:41 pm

buckyor wrote:Are there really people here that believe that Florida and FSU are the same school? I almost bit through my coffee mug reading the back and forth on that.

Sadly, I think there are, yes, but please note that I was not one of them.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:23 pm

buckyor wrote:Are there really people here that believe that Florida and FSU are the same school? I almost bit through my coffee mug reading the back and forth on that.

I think Jammy was trying to make a funny that fell a little flat.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking