MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 83.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Technology makes us rude

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Technology makes us rude

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:21 pm

I'm all for technological advances, but.....

- It's rude to order something from a counterperson, bartender, etc, while simultaneously talking on the phone.

- It's rude to meander around me at the coffee shop with your laptop case, waiting for me to offer you my table near the outlet.

- It's rude to then string your cord halfway across the room and under my chair to the outlet, creating a trip-wire for everyone.

- It's rude to set up your little office in the middle seat of coach, ANYTIME, but especially when the window seat is still empty. And if you roll your eyes when I show up you can bet I'll be visiting the bathroom a few times.

- You're new in town? Welcome! I hope you like it here. Now go get a local phone number!! Not everybody has free long distance. If I'm at home and the weather is hampering my cell phone reception, and you're a mile away but your area code is still in Omaha, I'm not going to call you, ever.

- It's still rude to be late even though you have a phone and call at quarter after to tell the person that you are going to be late...um, er, later. (I'm guilty of this one)

- It's rude to hold your phone up in the air through-out a concert to either take pictures or let your broke roommate listen to the show.

- It's rude to write really long posts on the internet that are basically just bellyaching, sorry.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:59 pm

I used to work with a woman (a good friend actually) who had a tendency to call me while carrying on another conversation at her desk.

After a while if I picked up the phone and heard her talking to someone else I'd just hang up without a word.

She'd call back in a few seconds and scream "That was rude!".
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaronetc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:17 pm

Technology doesn't make us rude. We are rude, and technology gives us novel ways to express that rudeness. Dumbass.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:24 pm

Yeah, when I was 27 I was a dink too.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:21 am

narcoleptish wrote:Yeah, when I was 27 I was a dink too.

Way to miss the joke there, Narc.

You're like the turd in the punchbowl that is the DPF.

Good use of "dink," though.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 am

bluethedog wrote:I used to work with a woman (a good friend actually) who had a tendency to call me while carrying on another conversation at her desk.

This is a big pet peeve of mine! When I was a phone jockey it used to happen all the time. Unfortunately it was usually a boss's spouse or a client so I had to stay on the line and repeat my greeting a couple times while gritting my teeth and forcing a smile. Jerks.

I think that behavior really has nothing to do with technology, though. It's more of an "I'm important and super busy and my time is more valuable than yours" attitude.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 am

Fuck you all.

Sorry, my computer made me do it...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:44 am

Years ago, I used to work sort of a service counter situation. The thing that would amaze and disturb me most was when I was obviously on the phone (we're not talking headset here) and someone would just walk up to the counter and start talking at me like I'm supposed to be able to process and engage in two completely different conversations simultaneously.

No technology at work there. Just pure born-in-barn etiquette deficit.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:14 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Yeah, when I was 27 I was a dink too.

Way to miss the joke there, Narc.

You're like the turd in the punchbowl that is the DPF.

Good use of "dink," though.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was a joke or just a sign of my unpopularity here. I wrote mine in a half-kidding manner, which of course was clear-as-mud in the tone of the written word. Sorry aaronetc......well, I think I am.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Bastards. All o' yas.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:20 pm

Wouldn't that be "basturd", in my case?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Here's some iPod ettiquette:

http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/ ... quette.php

I've found that a lot of chronic iPod listeners need this list, as common sensical as it is.

Also, when it comes to rude people, technology ought not be a crutch. At REI on Sunday, with about ten people waiting very patiently in line behind the "form line here" sign by the registers, guy who is first and I note a little old lady, probably in her 70s, walk up to the sign as though she's just surveying the scene and, when a register opens, springs over to it.

"How'd ya like that?" I ask Guy #1.

"Eh, happens all the time," he says.

What's worse, her move or someone shouting "Hey lady! The line's back here!"
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mountain_goat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:28 pm

- It's rude to order something from a counterperson, bartender, etc, while simultaneously talking on the phone.

- You're new in town? Welcome! I hope you like it here. Now go get a local phone number!! Not everybody has free long distance.

Hallejuah! You're dead on. Just today, I was irritated by the "local" who expected me accrue long distance charges to return her phone call (about whether I could do her a favor, no less.)

I'm also becoming increasingly frustrated by cellphone users who think it's socially acceptable to subject others to their loud public phone conversations, hold up the line because they're yakking instead of ordering, or treat a clerk like a non-entity while they talk away, often forcing the clerk to repeat things that they missed the first 3 times they were asked.

I appreciate that some businesses have cellphone-free policies for those who are ordering or that require laptop users to share tables, rather than hog large ones so that they can spread out. I'd like to see more restaurants and coffeeshops go cellphone-free, or insist that upon receiving a phonecall, one take it outside. I don't like the idea of having to make rules about using commonsense and having basic respect for others, but there are too many people (many ostensibly educated and cultured, too) who appear to have been raised by wolves.
mountain_goat

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:52 pm

mountain_goat wrote:Just today, I was irritated by the "local" who expected me accrue long distance charges to return her phone call (about whether I could do her a favor, no less.)

On the other hand, isn't it fun when you need to call a friend who has moved away but kept his/her 608 number? He's in Portland, but it's like I'm calling Dickinson St. or something.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:04 pm

If only more of my friends would move away, I too could enjoy that.

Also, I think I mentioned this somewhere else, those who insist you mapquest everything. Nobody can be bothered to give you simple directions anymore. I could be out in a torrential downpour, at 9:00 at night, looking for that left turn at Bong road, not realizing they changed the name when the big houses went in, and I call your 915 area code phone number because I can't find you and your fucking craigslist coffee table, and all you can say is "didn't you mapquest it?"

That didn't really happen but the story just poured out of me.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All