MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Guantanamera version 2.0

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Guantanamera version 2.0

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:30 pm

So guantanamera was bought by a husband and wife and now focuses on costa rican food (where the husband is from). Seems like the veg options are sparse. I ordered the empanada. It came with some rice and beans, and a cheesy little salad. But it's not too bad. Anyone else been there since it reopened?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby @wood » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:06 am

The Costa Rican tacos are good. The cilantro is a nice accent, and the creamy hot sauce is wonderful.
@wood
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:48 am

Wow. Costa Rica doesn't have an especially fancy culinary tradition - gallo pinto, casados, and a few other things...so it's surprising to see such a place in a town without a largish Tico population.

I'm cool with that, tho. I loves me the gallo pinto with some salsa Lizano.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:08 am

we went here tonight and I highly recommend it! I had the costa rican dinner with chicken and it came with rice and beans and plantains and a small salad and all was excellent. I also had a great empanada which came with two sauces that I would have bought bottles of if it was offered. The dinner, empanada, and a can of guava juice for less than $13. The guy is the former owner of the mango man food cart. He said he had to discontinue that to open the restaurant. 8:30 tonight there was nobody else there. That is a shame, please try this place. My food was excellent, there was a lot of it, and it was about the same price as a salad at delmoneyco's.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:50 pm

What you all said. Went there Friday night and it was excellent. Had a pulled pork main with beans, rice and salad. Everything was tasty and very fresh. One of us also had pork tacos - they were the best I've had since I bought tacos from a little cart in San Diego years ago. Once again, freshness was the key, along with that great creamy, cilantro/lime/chilli sauce.

Tony, the owner, will also do fish tacos if you ask (and he has fish in, which he did when we were there).

Great place & cheap too!
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:33 pm

And if you were ever in the former restaurant, you will be really surprised by the new decor! It's really cute and cozy - he did a great job fixing the place up.

And the food is very good. Great hot sauce.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby statz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:32 am

First of all the place is too small to be a "sit down" restaurante. Second, anything over $10 is too much. We are talking about Central American beans and rice with cheap meat, fish, pork or whatever. It should be cheap, under $8, and fast. Otherwise you are paying too much for this location. Rice, beans and sauce is not $10 any way you fantasize about it.
statz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:32 pm

It's not a big place, but two groups of three were comfortable with room for more. Perhaps you're too big.

Most things are under $10 if I recall.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 am

"Perhaps you're too big."

LMFAO!!!!!
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby allobrogica » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:49 am

Just putting in the name of the restaurant so people know and can find this thread via search.

Cafe Costa Rica
141 S. Butler St.
256-9830
allobrogica

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:21 pm

Went there two weeks back.

Liked it.

Oh, it's nothing outrageous, and it's tiny, but I had a pretty big, tasty meal for $7. Got chicken stewed in coconut milk and spices, a salad with a very nice tangy dressing, a few fried plantains, and beans-n-rice (gallo pinto).

It's all carribbean coast-style cuisine, so it's slightly more fruit-and-spice heavy than stuff from the rest of CR, but it's not entirely outrageous. Don't go in expecting Jamerica-style jerk or anything. It was entirely un-fancy, but filling, tasty and cheap.

And I was able to finallly get a new bottle of Salsa Lizano from the proprietor. Buying that stuff amil-order was getting pricy.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Burn » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:41 am

What is he charging for a bottle?
Burn

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:04 pm

IIRC it was about $3 for a small bottle and, erm, $9 ?for the large bottle.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:50 pm

I went there for lunch this week and was underwhelmed. I got the pork tacos: a dab of goat-y (not bad, just goat-y) pork, tomatoes, lettuce, lots of cilantro. Nothing to write home about. The creamy green hot sauce was really good, but not good enough bring me back for more tacos.

The room would've been super cozy were it not for the haze of kitchen smoke and an off, overheated oil smell.

I really want to like the place, so I'll probably go back to try an empanada.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:42 pm

NullDevice wrote:Wow. Costa Rica doesn't have an especially fancy culinary tradition - gallo pinto, casados, and a few other things...so it's surprising to see such a place in a town without a largish Tico population.

I'm cool with that, tho. I loves me the gallo pinto with some salsa Lizano.

Eres un Tico?
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews