MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Descent

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:03 am

OK, I was misinformed. Dumplings was turned into a feature length movie AFTER 3 extremes.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:21 am

Well, "The Descent" held up pretty well under a second viewing, especially considering that its first viewing was only last night.

I find it kind of strange that it sits on my shelf right next to the director's first movie, "Dog Soldiers," bookended by "The Deer Hunter" and "Dr. Strangelove." I suppose if I spelled out "doctor" they wouldn't sit next to each other.

Weird, eh?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Foundation » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:03 pm

I didn't think Miike's film was horror. The other 2 were, especially Fruit Chan's "Dumplings". Also, none of Miike's other films that I've seen are horror either IMO (except Audition of course).[/quote]
Foundation
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:57 pm

I agree with alot of what has already been said.
The Descent is a notch above your average horror film.
Even though it's dark and you can't see much, you get a vague understanding of where you are in the cave system. I like the fact that they spent sufficient time building up suspense and didn't bring in the conflict with the creatures below until later in the movie.

I had a difficult time differentiating between the characters after they split up, and it took a second viewing to fully catch the whole underlying issue between Juno, Sarah, and Beth.
I would've liked it if they incorporated different creatures, like each lower tier of the cave they face greater threats. I guess part of me wishes they would've added more heft to the enemies instead of making them simple minded bat like humanoids with no motive who act only on pure instinct. But then it'd be an entirely different movie. I guess a proper 'Doom' scenario film won't happen anytime soon.

The last cut of the film (the original ending) is eerie.

Even after all that was said and done, what Sarah did to Juno near the end was unjustified.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:38 pm

MadMind wrote:What Rebecca did to Juno near the end was unjustified.

Not to mention unrealistic. Personally, I almost thought it killed the ending. Why would you kill the one person who seemed most capable of getting you out alive? I know, critiquing movies for realism is kind of lame, especially in the horror genre, but it seemed to cheapen the "realness" they worked so hard to create.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:52 am

pjbogart wrote:
MadMind wrote:What Rebecca did to Juno near the end was unjustified.

Not to mention unrealistic. Personally, I almost thought it killed the ending. Why would you kill the one person who seemed most capable of getting you out alive? I know, critiquing movies for realism is kind of lame, especially in the horror genre, but it seemed to cheapen the "realness" they worked so hard to create.

Unjustified, that was somewhat the point. The Descent was also figurative. She was descending into madness while descending into the cave. She was turning more primal, thus the scene where she is covered in blood with mangled hair, shown from a distance to briefly make us think it was a creature who grabbed Juno and saved her.

But she did have some justification. Juno was having an affair with her husband and left a friend to die. And got them in the cave in the first place. Also remember that only we knew it was unjustified. It seemed justified to Sarah since the information she had was that Juno killed Beth, had an affair with her husband, and lied about it when she might have confessed to the accident.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:13 am

Unjustified? What a buncha girls. She was totally justified. For my money, Sarah was the best get-it-done heroine since Ripley in the first Alien. Which makes me glad I didn't see the UK ending. Sounds like it slaps a whole hopeless grief-parable thing onto the movie, which may make it better movie, but not as much fun.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Wow. Thanks guys. Now I won't even have to see this to know how it turns out. :x
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:28 pm

buckyor wrote:Wow. Thanks guys. Now I won't even have to see this to know how it turns out. :x

So, how far past MadMind's post did you read before you thought, hmmm, maybe I should stop?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:35 pm

Ducatista wrote:
buckyor wrote:Wow. Thanks guys. Now I won't even have to see this to know how it turns out. :x

So, how far past MadMind's post did you read before you thought, hmmm, maybe I should stop?

Well, you know, once I got through his post, stopping became kinda moot. The horses had left the barn, so to speak.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Kinda... he got one of the names wrong, so a few dramatic moments would've been a big surprise had you not read on.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:02 pm

Ducatista wrote:Kinda... he got one of the names wrong, so a few dramatic moments would've been a big surprise had you not read on.

Yeah, you got me. See, I shoulda known he got a name wrong, because. . . . . umm. . . . well, just because.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:42 pm

TAsunder wrote:
pjbogart wrote:
MadMind wrote:What Sarah did to Juno near the end was unjustified.

Unjustified, that was somewhat the point. The Descent was also figurative. She was descending into madness while descending into the cave. She was turning more primal, thus the scene where she is covered in blood with mangled hair, shown from a distance to briefly make us think it was a creature who grabbed Juno and saved her.

Thing is, I think the need to survive is more primal than the act of vengeance. And like pjbogart said, Juno was the one person who seemed most capable of getting them out alive. But I get it, I do. Sarah was on a golem killing spree.

Ducatista wrote:Kinda... he got one of the names wrong, so a few dramatic moments would've been a big surprise had you not read on.

Woops! Yeah I got pretty confused the first time around at the point they split up.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:06 pm

buckyor wrote:Yeah, you got me. See, I shoulda known he got a name wrong, because. . . . . umm. . . . well, just because.

Oh fer the christ. I wasn't getting you, I was pointing out the entertaining (to me) fact that if you'd said to yourself "Whoa, enough spoilage, I'm outta here," you'd've gotten even more of a shock from the movie than the rest of us did.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:49 am

Looks as if Dog Soldiers is airing on Sci-Fi Jan. 18th, 11pm.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies