MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Did La Paella Close?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Bellwether wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Are there any restaurants in Fitchburg that are voluntarily smoke free?

Yes.

Who? What restaurants in Fitchburg voluntarily ban smoking? McDonald's and Popeye's don't count.

As for the Schiavo's, I don't recall them ever being a loud voice against the smoking ban.

As for you're inability to comprehend the English language, well, there are classes for that.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Boy, white, I must have really touched a nerve with you. What do you care at all where I choose to eat or why I choose to eat there? Is my opinion about the absurdity of Schiavo's statement any less valid than yours?

white_rabbit wrote:Who? What restaurants in Fitchburg voluntarily ban smoking? McDonald's and Popeye's don't count.

Who? Byrd's, for one. Pancake Cafe, for two. Fitch's, for three, before they closed. There are other, smaller restaurants as well -- not fast food, but I don't think they serve alcohol, so I'm sure you don't count them either.

As for the Schiavo's, I don't recall them ever being a loud voice against the smoking ban.

No, they weren't! Which is why I'm shocked and saddened to read the passive aggressive comment about being out from under the ban in the article. What a stupid thing to say to a reporter about your new restaurant opening up in a town that's trying to figure out its own smoking ban. Guess they'll have to open up another café in Oregon, next, for the twelve diners who are still heading south looking for a place they can toke and choke all at once.

As for you're[sic] inability to comprehend the English language, well, there are classes for that.

Perhaps my comprehension has something to do with your (possesive form, not a contraction for "you are") spelling? There are classes for that too. :-)

In all seriousness, though, tell me what I didn't understand in your previous post. I had trouble wading through the whole "thos non-voluntarily smoke free" line. That would indicate someone who is involuntarily smoke-free, which would be Madison, not Fitchburg, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:01 pm

OK, you got me on the your/you're error.

But the Continental is lounge/restaurant operation. Most, nearly all, allow smoking in their lounge, if the law allows. All they said is they will be able to accomodate customers they lost, not that they are opening a smoking restaurant. To completely write off an establishment (which I'll probably never go to since I don't venture to Fitchburg by habit), simply because they will be able to accomodate lost customers and admit it is silly if you patronize other establishments that also allow smokers in their lounge, simply because they don't admit they like to have the business of smokers.

And don't assume I'm anti-smoking ban. I just want fairness for small business owners.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:12 pm

Also, there is no direct quote from any of the Schiavo clan saying they're happy to have a smoking restaurant. Just this...

The Continental will not be subject to Madison's smoking ban, which Schiavo said has resulted in about a dozen regular patrons coming in less frequently or dining in Fitchburg instead.

Which was probably a reaction to a question posed by the journalist writing the story. Hardly a ringing endorsement of smoking establishments to merit your ire towards them, considering you admit you patronize other smoking establishments.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:16 pm

And of course the reporter can spin the words any way s/he wishes after they leave Schiavo's mouth.

What rankled me is that it's a point in the story at all. I'm sure there are as many fans of their food who don't come Downtown because it's too far to come often, or they don't want to pay for parking, as don't come because of the smoking ban. To single out those that the smoking ban drove away seemed snide, to me. The reporter can ask; one can decline to answer.

It could be the reporter's spin on whatever was actually said, since it's not a quote.

I'm a sole proprietor, I'm all for getting fair shakes and being competitive. Sorry for reacting so strongly.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Bellwether wrote:
I'm a sole proprietor, I'm all for getting fair shakes and being competitive. Sorry for reacting so strongly.

Hey, I'm very pro-small business, and the only reason I was against the ban as proposed and implemented is because I thought it unfairly penalized small business people, who put a lot of sweat equity into their livelyhood that could be jeapordized by legislation. I wanted the ban either countywide or statewide.

But the Shiavo's are an asset to downtown Madison, and helped to revitalize King Street. They should be given a fair shake in Fitchburg.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:09 am

Hmm... I don't recall there being smoking in cafe continental even before the recent ban. It would have required separating the bar from the restaurant. So I agree that it is a very strange thing to say.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:57 am

good lord...yet another hijacked thread due to the infamous smoking ban. get over it, people.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Ichabod » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:40 pm

So, did anyone get the skinny on why La Paella is no more? What a pity
Ichabod

Postby cubanat » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:31 am

The Spanish gentleman that owned it sold it to other interests that he then stayed on with for a time to run the place--he quickly left and opened the best Mexican bakery and torta counter in the city called La Concha in Fitchburg. The other interests then sold it or went out of business rather quickly. All I know is that La Concha rules.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby d2drums » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:16 pm

I drive by the building everyday, and something is going on inside. They are redoing stuff, I saw a tile truck there today, as well as Roto Rooter (?). It appears that something bar- restuarant is in the works.
d2drums

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:31 pm

anyportinastorm wrote:You should probably switch to decaf black coffee because you have no idea what you are talking about. The Schiavo's--or the "retard" family, as you so eloquently described them--have been in the restaurant business for four generations now. Tony and Rosemarie, the parents of who was running Club Majestic, previously operated Antonio's which was a long standing Madison favorite and currently own and operate Cafe' Continental on King street which opened in the late 1990's and helped usher in the revitalization of the Capitol Square--long before all the fancy condo's and other restaurants dared venture back down to the Square. The Schiavo's restaurants have always been a class act with excellent food and service--always on the cutting edge. It is a mistake to compare the restaurant's the Schiavo's have cultivated with their foray into the world of nightclubs with the Club Majestic.Which, by the way, when it was first opened was also a top notch place-- although I believe the Schiavo's misjudged Madison's willingness to be a clientele of such a high end night club and ultimately became victim to Madison's cheap, dismal vision of night life.
Nick and Jim, the sons of Rosemarie and Tony Schiavo who ,I believe, will be operating the Fitchburg location, have been practically raised in the food and beverage industry and have a lifetime of experience between them.
Please get your facts straight before you post garbage like that again.

Dear portsinastorm,

Are you trying to be birthed out the the Schiavo ass you're half way up already? I'm sure they appreciate not only your ridiculous over-the-top rant about how they saved Madison, but also your trashing of the low-rent locals who are the reason for their Majestic disaster.
The Majestic failure falls squarely on the shoulders of the Shaivo family. If you make idiotic buisiness decision, you are the idiot.
I sure there will be lots of down time at the Continental for you to stop by and kiss ass.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:51 pm

I seme to remember that after LP left Tomas's hands, Vicente Sacramento (the head chef) also left the restaurant to open his own place. LP's quality dropped, so they brought him back aboard (and IMHO the quality of his own place dropped). But then they closed LP again and he sold Sacramento and bought a bakery in Monona.

Complicated.

I ate at LP back in the Tomas heydey - I worked in the research park so there were a lot of happyhours with lots of booze and snails in garlic butter. I ate ther after the sale, and was not impressed. And then again on the upswing and while it wasn't as good as it had been, it was definitely improving. I was also a big fan of Sacremnto when it first opened too, although once they expanded the menu the quality dropped a bit (they always did a great taco arabe, though).

I haven't tried the new bakery yet.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:59 pm

NullDevice wrote:(they always did a great taco arabe, though).

I haven't tried the new bakery yet.

Which bakery in Monona? Would like to try it.

La Concha bakery -- Tomas' family venture -- has wonderful tacos arabes, $3.85. Ask them for them con cilantro fresco and it's heaven. (The gringas is the same thing, but with oaxaca, and folded rather than rolled.)
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby anyportinastorm » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:03 pm

dear drinkinblackcoffee;
i stand by my response to your post. you have no need to sink to sophomoric name calling.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews