MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

County Board breastfeeding debate

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Do you think breastfeeding is sexual harassment?

Yes
5%
No
20%
WTF?!?!?
75%

Total votes : 20

County Board breastfeeding debate

Postby AlphaLiberal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:22 pm

This section has gotten a bit boring and repetitive. Let's rip on the County Board for a change.

So, there's no news today on the debate at the county Board last night over breastfeeding in public. I guess Supervisor Dave "Did I say that?" Wiganowsky objected on the grounds of "sexual harassment".

Mr Wiggie, if you're getting aroused over breastfeeding..... well I'll just let someone else finish that sentence.
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:52 pm

<Little Britain>Bitty!</Little Britain>
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:06 pm

As long as it is consensual between the participating parties, no.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ms4denmark » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:48 am

ShaneDog wrote:<Little Britain>Bitty!</Little Britain>

Mother: Aww, but honey, you just ate.
35 year old son: Bitty. Bitty!

Little Britain is, to quote the immortal words of drug addled Anna Nicole, "Freakin genius."
ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby StateEmp » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:50 am

It's only harrassment if she won't share. But seriously, is it harrassment if a man even glances at a woman breast-feeding?
StateEmp

Postby Ed Breakfast » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:28 am

But seriously, is it harrassment if a man even glances at a woman breast-feeding?

No. It is not.
Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:37 am

Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.

Sorry.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:54 am

i missed this.
are they trying to outlaw breastfeeding in public???
And this city is liberal????
This country is so conservative it's embarrasing.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:20 am

Paco wrote:i missed this.

No, they aren't trying to outlaw breastfeeding in public. The Dane Co. Board outlawed harrassing or interferting with a woman breastfeeding, but this only covers unincorporated areas of the county and facilities owned by the county: airport, zoo, parks, Alliant Center, etc.

The Madison Common Council will take up the same issue on Tuesday. This would cover all areas of the city. Since we have 15 sponsors, I assume it will pass with no trouble.

The issue is that woman have been asked to leave places such as malls, restaurants, stores, etc. when they are breastfeeding. At the Public Safety Review Board, we heard stories from woman that were harrassed as they fed their children.

The part about sexual harrassment came up when one Co. Sup. (who was that, anyway?) said during debate that woman breastfeeding in public amounted to sexual harrassment. WTF??!! indeed.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:56 pm

robbie webber wrote:
Paco wrote:i missed this.

No, they aren't trying to outlaw breastfeeding in public. The Dane Co. Board outlawed harrassing or interferting with a woman breastfeeding, but this only covers unincorporated areas of the county and facilities owned by the county: airport, zoo, parks, Alliant Center, etc.

The Madison Common Council will take up the same issue on Tuesday. This would cover all areas of the city. Since we have 15 sponsors, I assume it will pass with no trouble.

The issue is that woman have been asked to leave places such as malls, restaurants, stores, etc. when they are breastfeeding. At the Public Safety Review Board, we heard stories from woman that were harrassed as they fed their children.

The part about sexual harrassment came up when one Co. Sup. (who was that, anyway?) said during debate that woman breastfeeding in public amounted to sexual harrassment. WTF??!! indeed.

I don't quite understand the idea of why some people feel they need to harrass mothers. It's not as if raising a child is easy. On top of that, there are a few people who are offended by the whole process and thereby make a difficult situation more difficult. My wife has never had any difficulties breast feeding either in Madison, or in NYC where we lived before. In the state of New York, breast feeding has been declared a civil right. Ergo, anyone who harrasses a breast feeding woman in the state of NY is committing a civil rights violation. Perhaps the Madison Common Council should consider a similar measure.

Neither my wife nor I have ever had any problems changing diapers in Madison either. There was one time when my wife took the kids shopping in lower Manhattan on a late summer Sunday. She couldn't find a bathroom to change a diaper, so she found a coushined bench in a remote area. Nobody was around, until an @$$hole security guard started screaming at her. A NYC police officer heard the noise, and told the security guard not to be such an @$$hole. My wife and I had some pressing engagments at our kids' school the next few days, so I was going to call the guard's boss at the WTC a few days later to complain. Unfortunately, a few days later there was no WTC.
PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government