MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:56 pm

oranger wrote:Tipping a dollar for every pour is a smart thing to do. It will cost you 5 bucks for the night but is well worth the service if you a) are getting drinks for other people b) you don't want other people to think you are cheap c) want the bar tenders to like you d) you don't want to spend 25 minutes of your evening in line at the bar while tipping customers get served first.


I have a problem with points b) and c). First, it is this culture of "you are cheap if you don't tip a deadbeat who pours you a beer" that I am trying to eliminate. Just because you think it makes you awsome to tip for every drink does not make it a necessity that I do the same. Second, and similarly, just because you think the bartender doesn't see you as a dollar sign instead of a future/repeat customer does not make it necessary that I do the same. I bet the woman you paid for the lapdance really liked you too.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Easy Street

Postby oranger » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:17 pm

I have a problem with points b) and c). First, it is this culture of "you are cheap if you don't tip a deadbeat who pours you a beer" that I am trying to eliminate. Just because you think it makes you awsome to tip for every drink does not make it a necessity that I do the same.


I would say that you don't realize the value of tipping the service of that dead beat pouring you that beer. However, I would not say it is necessary for you to do the same at all.

Second, and similarly, just because you think the bartender doesn't see you as a dollar sign instead of a future/repeat customer does not make it necessary that I do the same. I bet the woman you paid for the lapdance really liked you too.


Ahh, touche, but he sure did act as though she liked me. When he took me in back for a private dance I came away fully satisified and thankful for the tips I gave him. [/quote]
oranger
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: madison, wi

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:
Well fucking A, if I was in charge of the world it world it would be a whole lot different, too...


Thanks for agreeing with me; it's always nice to hear from reasonable people.


Um, yeah, I was agreeing with you. Sure. It could happen.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Postby Marvell » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:21 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
Marvell wrote:
Fat.The.Gangster wrote:Something tells me you spend more than your fair share imagining what you would do to children.


Fascinating.

Does this 'something' also tell you to show it to the Laker Girls? I only ask because they have this lithium stuff now, and it can make all the little voices go away...


That "something" is the overriding sense that you have sex with minors.


Well, since your senses are being so overridden, may I suggest you find a nice padded room somewhere, where you can ponder my having sex with minors to your heart's content? It would keep you where the law could see you - and would have the added advantage of keeping you off The Forum, where your only purpose seems to be to tediously document every half-baked idea that staggers through the echoing cavern of your mind.
Last edited by Marvell on Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby square » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:37 pm

So your contention is that you disagree with the way servers are paid so you're just gonna stiff them and broadcast your views, hopefully convincing more customers to stiff the bartender until... what? Until the servers band together and rail against the outrageous system in which they make less per hour than other people? Right.
square
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:02 pm

square wrote:So your contention is that you disagree with the way servers are paid so you're just gonna stiff them and broadcast your views, hopefully convincing more customers to stiff the bartender until... what? Until the servers band together and rail against the outrageous system in which they make less per hour than other people? Right.


Right on! Nobody is forcing anyone to utilize the services of a bartender, but if you do use the services of a bartender you should respect established protocol in respect to the services being provided.

Same goes for wait staff, cab drivers, hotel bellhops, coat check people or whatever.

Just because you think they should just do what they do for what they're getting paid to do should be sufficient doesn't mean that is the way the system is set up. You do realize that most service workers work for minimum wage, often without health insurance or any other kind of benefit, right? I hope you also realize that the minimum wage of many service jobs is lower than the standard minimum wage. That should be evidence enough that the people who utilize the services of such workers are expected to contribute to their income by established mores of this society.

Part of the deal is that you are served in a friendly, prompt and professional manner. The only excuse for stiffing or poor tip is if the server doesn't uphold their end of the deal.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:19 pm

I seem to remember Vince P. O'hearn tipping at least a dollar a drink.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:35 am

Postby massimo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:34 pm

My best suggestion: go to Vic Pierce, get a case of Leinenkugel for $14.50 (that's $0.60 per beer!), and stiff yourself everytime you take a trip to the fridge.

Question: why don't you complain about the outrageous markup on booze at bars? <-- great idea for your next thread...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Madison

Postby towanda » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:44 am

Or the stupid law that alcohol can only be purchased in bars after 9:00 PM?
towanda
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:34 am

Postby lysander » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:06 am

Ok, I'll take a crack at it. You reference the British pub system in which servers make a somewhat livable wage and basically don't get tipped. Valid. Consider the differences in prices there and here, and the fact that you have no option of NOT tipping there, but you have that option here, you get a more merit-based system for the most part. I mean, you've BEEN to Britain, right? See, British servers get the same pay for every drink, not varied by customer. Which is why they have fewer reasons to care about you. Hey, don't feel bad about that part. I can sympathize with some parts of your argument. Welcome to McDonald's, have you tried our McRib?

Here in the states, the servers earn very small 'base' and rely on 'tips'. Really good bartenders and servers have the very realistic option of capitalizing on skill and soon out-compete the low-earners, thus leaving the best candidates to earn the top dollar. This is, in shorthand, the basic system of Capitalism. Are you a Commie, a Socialist? Why do you hate America? If you are a poor tipper, you pay for it yourself rather than pass the cost along to the rest of the decent members of society.

As far as advice, since your argument involves deadbeats (bartenders) earning an unfair pay (or a fair pay unfairly levied? you're unclear on that one) - I'd recommend either getting a job as a bartender (exploit that system to your advantage, unless you're already earning more or can't hack it) or opening a bar that pays a fair wage and doesn't accept tips, and making a killing. Fight the power, ya know.

Or, you could explain what you do and how much you make and why you deserve to earn what you do. What if one can hire someone else for the same amount of work for a fraction of the pay? Why not stay at home and drink at liquor store prices, you can save a BUNDLE! And those damned parking meters downtown! Piggly-Wiggly has no such devices, you common thieves!

<thanx to massimo and white_rabbit for basically predicting what I was going to say, since you both wound up saying most of it better anyhow.>
lysander
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:43 pm

Postby sparky159 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:40 pm

This is a bit off topic, but it is related. Say you pay $4.40 for a beer, and you pay with a 10. The bartender gives you back a 5 and 2 quarters. I always assume a $.50 is acceptable in this situation, as the customer really has no other choice. The problem is if this continues for 3 or 4 drinks and the bartender never gives you any ones. Are the small tips still all right?
sparky159
Senior Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:31 am

Postby small cheese » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:01 am

Most bartenders will give you singles at some point - but if they don't, and you received good service, leave one of those 5s on the bar before you leave.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Postby lysander » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:36 am

sparky159 wrote:This is a bit off topic, but it is related. Say you pay $4.40 for a beer, and you pay with a 10. The bartender gives you back a 5 and 2 quarters. I always assume a $.50 is acceptable in this situation, as the customer really has no other choice. The problem is if this continues for 3 or 4 drinks and the bartender never gives you any ones. Are the small tips still all right?

Unless you have ones (visibly) in your hand, it's basically OK with the caveat that smallcheese brought. You can always ask them to break the five (shit, they should anyhow) or just save up for the fiver.

Besides, wouldn't someone tipping larger denominations stick out in the bartender's mind more? Even for the same overall tip (one person, $1/drink five times vs. $5 once over five drinks) carry more weight? I suppose it's best to do that earlier than later...

Does any bar actually give back small coins (pennies, nickels, dimes), or is everything to the quarter (as it should be EVERYWHERE)?
lysander
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:43 pm

Postby square » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:49 pm

most bars committed to being bars price smartly, such as in quarter increments. But bars that are more committed to being a restaurant such as the new Paisan's will price retardedly because they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

ouch, anyway - Genna's has 40% off rails and certain taps for happy hour so they usually come out to strange amounts, to your benefit of course. And in the case of such a discount, you should at LEAST tip the difference in cost that you would have paid. You still save money, right? So if you're getting a vodka tonic that should have cost you $3.50 and you get 40% off you should tip (as conveniently as possible, of course) $1.40 per drink.
square
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Postby john_titor » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 am

Having spent 10 years in the restaurant business,and 4 of those as a bartender, I'll say it: Bartending is the easiest job in the business.

They get the most respect, and can walk home with the most money. They usually have a higher per hour wage than any other tipped staff. In addition to that, if it is a restaurant, they will get tipped out by the other staff.


The job really is simple. The only difficult part is during a rush and someone orders a blender drink. When that happens one can usually hear the profanity over the din.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar