MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

A dollar tip per drink is unreasonable

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:24 pm

Marvell wrote:Well, since your senses are being so overridden, may I suggest you find a nice padded room somewhere, where you can ponder my having sex with minors to your heart's content? It would keep you where the law could see you - and would have the added advantage of keeping you off The Forum, where your only purpose seems to be to tediously document every half-baked idea that staggers through the echoing cavern of your mind.

Really Marvell, you had nothing better to do on a Friday night at 7:21 p.m. than post inane blather about tipping? Really? And did you really have nothing better to do at 9:22 p.m. that same evening when you edited --EDITED--same? Do we need to stage an intervention. I mean, seriously, that is so sad. Do you not have friends or hobbies or something? I don't know if I can take seriously someone who pours himself into spewing invective on an anonymous message board on a Friday night. The opinions of someone who posts on a message board on Friday night just can't count, I'm sorry.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:26 pm

Marvell wrote: sex with minors

So that's what you call "tipping" now?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:37 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:
Marvell wrote:Well, since your senses are being so overridden, may I suggest you find a nice padded room somewhere, where you can ponder my having sex with minors to your heart's content? It would keep you where the law could see you - and would have the added advantage of keeping you off The Forum, where your only purpose seems to be to tediously document every half-baked idea that staggers through the echoing cavern of your mind.

Really Marvell, you had nothing better to do on a Friday night at 7:21 p.m. than post inane blather about tipping? Really? And did you really have nothing better to do at 9:22 p.m. that same evening when you edited --EDITED--same? Do we need to stage an intervention. I mean, seriously, that is so sad. Do you not have friends or hobbies or something? I don't know if I can take seriously someone who pours himself into spewing invective on an anonymous message board on a Friday night. The opinions of someone who posts on a message board on Friday night just can't count, I'm sorry.

Dear Fat-head:

I don't give a fuck what you think. And I need your condescending sympathy about as much as I need a bowel obstruction.

As for the inane blather, you're generating that just fine without my help.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:00 pm

Marvell wrote:Dear Fat-head:

So this is what it's come to. You win, man, you win.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:22 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:

Sweeeeet.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:47 pm

Marvell wrote:
Fat.The.Gangster wrote:

Sweeeeet.

You guys (?) should go out for a drink together. Meet at a show that costs $5 or less - Fat pays the cover and Marvell buys the first round and covers the tip.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Stomach wrote:You guys (?) should go out for a drink together. Meet at a show that costs $5 or less - Fat pays the cover and Marvell buys the first round and covers the tip.

Based on the timing and tone of Marvell's posts, it appears as though he probably has the free time.
Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:23 pm

I probably have the time, yes.

But why I would want to waste it on chewing the Fat in person is beyond me.

If I want to express my idle contempt I'll continue to use a series of tubes, thanks.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:30 pm

john_titor wrote:Having spent 10 years in the restaurant business,and 4 of those as a bartender, I'll say it: Bartending is the easiest job in the business.

They get the most respect, and can walk home with the most money. They usually have a higher per hour wage than any other tipped staff. In addition to that, if it is a restaurant, they will get tipped out by the other staff.

The job really is simple. The only difficult part is during a rush and someone orders a blender drink. When that happens one can usually hear the profanity over the din.

Well, I don't know it's that cushy of a gig. Serve an underager, risk losing your job and $350. Overserve someone who gets behind the wheel and puts some kid in a wheelchair for the next sixty years, you can be held personally liable. And other than managers, bartenders are the only ones who need to be licensed. Toss in some rowdy (potentially violent) drunks, carrying kegs around, and possibly some broken glass injuries, and I'm not sure it's just a walk in the park.

But then again, every place is different. I'm sure chores and perks vary greatly. And I'm sure things will be crazy different by 2036.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:58 pm

lysander wrote:And other than managers, bartenders are the only ones who need to be licensed.

There has to be at least one licensed bartender at the bar at all times. I let mine expire years ago, since my regular shift is always with other staff. I can't take any shifts where I'd be the only one beyond the bar - unless it's an emergency - then the owner will come and hang out for those hours when I'm working alone.

lysander wrote:Toss in some rowdy (potentially violent) drunks, carrying kegs around, and possibly some broken glass injuries, and I'm not sure it's just a walk in the park.

I've cut myself many times over the years, with glass and the foil on wine bottles. And pretty much every time I work I bruise myself by walking into a cooler door handle. I've also been slammed into by fellow staff pretty hard. And getting lime or lemon juice in your eye hurts like hell. It can be dangerous back there.
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:14 pm

small cheese wrote: It can be dangerous back there.

Not to mention you sometimes deal with drunken crazies. I've bartended on and off for 18 years, and during that time I've been punched, had a stalker who found my home number and left creepy messages on my answering machine after getting my unlisted number not once, but twice after I changed it, had stalkers wait until after I've closed the place and follow me home twice, had someone wait outside the bar in the alley by the trash cans waiting for me to come and dump trash so they could try (unsuccesfully) to muscle their way in and rob the bar, had a couple of incidents with cut off drunks that threatened to come back with a gun and kill everyone in the place and had to provide first aid to a manager that was stabbed in the back walking out of the bar...and on and on. Bartending can be a fun and profitable gig, but it doesn't come without it's dangers.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Foundation » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I almost always tip a buck. Having been a bartender I knoow it ensures quicker service with no attitude. But, sometimes a bartender spends too much time jawjackin' with his girlfriend or the regulars. Or maybe they were rude to begin with. Either way, if I get shitty service, they are not getting a tip. Bartenders should not forget that nobody HAS to tip, most people just do.
Foundation
Forum Addict

Barkeep tips equal out

Postby lifelongmadison » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:45 am

I've been both behind the bar and in front of the bar and IMO, its a wash.

When I was behind the bar sure, paper meant more attention... it meant you were drunk, or had a nice fuck me smile... either way, you had my attention.
White collar talked more and tipped less, while blue collar tipped more and had something to say that you would actually be interested in hearing. Once the shit hit the fan, it was all you could do just to keep every stool sitter and waitress happy.
A nicer tip(which was not always money, a decent person could make your day by just being human) would get a nod and and a 'quick as I can' wink, but for me, it was mostly first come, first served. I was never really swayed by large tips, as they usually weren't impressing me, just who they were with.
All in all, drinks were drinks, everyone gets a good pour and a good ear.
As a patron, I do tip a buck for the first drink (unless it's surly or a long wait, or a short pour), then its the change from each thereafter, plus a fin or less at my departure unless I was ignored or felt my presence intruded on the barkeep's imagined mojo.
My tips were always split with my ever so capable partner, so really it boiled down to serve all at your best and the tips grow from there.
Obviously, a single 'keep gets more or less depending on if you have to toss pretzles, or worse, coins to get attention when your glass is empty ( btw, it seems that the barkeeps of the fairer sex need to be rousted from the tv or paper, IMO).
It's a fact that tipping has more to do with how you are GREETED when you sit down, than the tip you give during the night. Its a yin yang thing... Dont give a ten and expect first serve when the line is ten deep, and don't expect a good ear if it's slow and you tip the change... BTW, when I poured, If I had the time and the paper, I NEVER gave a $5 when I could give five $1's... You're just askin for the chump change. But damn, even that chump change added up nice.... It's just a wash... :wink:
lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:04 am

As a bartender I never gave back five 1's without being asked. I was derided by other bartenders and customers alike, but it was just a little too presumptuous for me. It's like standing on the porch with puckered lips at the end of a first date. More than one good customer told me they felt the same way. The customers who were critical were always service people themselves. I always made good tips.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:15 am

I agree that it's up to the customer to request ones back with their change if they want to tip.

That said, in bigger cities, you're likely to get ones back and I don't think it's presumptuous at all. I think it's probably worth a few extra bucks per night and if you're a professional bartender, that makes a difference.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails