MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

All Right All You Good Deed Doing Citizens.....

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby Sheppy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:33 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: he goes to Milwaukee often


Slander. Lies. This is a lie. I have been to Milwaukee twice in my life. Thrice if you count the time I drove through without stopping.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby DEL the funky homosapien » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:15 pm

Finally, for the record, I don't own a car either, and I eat local and organic, blah, blah, But I'm not holier than thou. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone should live the way I do. When I see someone in need, I try and help.
DEL the funky homosapien
Senior Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Postby Hans$$Buttercup » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:33 am

Yeah.. That was my point from the begining. Little did I know that my adding a hint of sarcasm solidified my need to commit suicide. Who knew?!
Hans$$Buttercup
Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:32 am

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:48 am

Sweet thrice drop.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Sheppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:17 pm

DEL the funky homosapien wrote:Finally, for the record, I don't own a car either, and I eat local and organic, blah, blah, But I'm not holier than thou. I'm not naive enough to think that everyone should live the way I do. When I see someone in need, I try and help.


Dude, I'm not an asshole. I help people in need too. I donate to all kinds of local and national causes. I volunteer. I live my life in a tolerant, environmentally friendly manner. But here's the difference between you and me: I think. When I see someone stuck with their Cadillac in a snowbank somewhere, I choose not to help. I choose not to help because I surmise that by not helping, I'm actually helping this person in the longrun. How? Maybe this will be the winter that Mr. or Mrs. Johnny McTailpipe finally decides to sell the Volvo and get a bike. Or take the bus. Or walk their fat ass to work and the store. If I dig this person out of their snowtrap, then the chances that they will ditch the car are that much less. So I walk on past, out of love and consideration for those around me. I'm sorry you're too narrowminded to figure that out.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Sheppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:21 pm

Hans$$Buttercup wrote:Yeah.. That was my point from the begining. Little did I know that my adding a hint of sarcasm solidified my need to commit suicide. Who knew?!


Yeah, didja ever think that the reason you're depressed, the reason that you are confused about your place in the world, is that your name is so completly ridiculous and stupid? I mean, what's with the Dollar Signs? Are you trying to be like 50 Cent or something?

Also, maybe it's time to emulate real people instead of Spiderman. You can't climb walls and a travel around the city by swinging on webs. Stop trying.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby DEL the funky homosapien » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:29 pm

I choose not to help because I surmise that by not helping, I'm actually helping this person in the longrun. How? Maybe this will be the winter that Mr. or Mrs. Johnny McTailpipe finally decides to sell the Volvo and get a bike. Or take the bus. Or walk their fat ass to work and the store. If I dig this person out of their snowtrap, then the chances that they will ditch the car are that much less.


And sending people to prisons actually makes them want to be better people too, right?
DEL the funky homosapien
Senior Member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Postby mifflander » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 pm

Sheppy wrote:Dude, I'm not an asshole. I help people in need too. I donate to all kinds of local and national causes. I volunteer. I live my life in a tolerant, environmentally friendly manner. But here's the difference between you and me: I think. When I see someone stuck with their Cadillac in a snowbank somewhere, I choose not to help. I choose not to help because I surmise that by not helping, I'm actually helping this person in the longrun. How? Maybe this will be the winter that Mr. or Mrs. Johnny McTailpipe finally decides to sell the Volvo and get a bike. Or take the bus. Or walk their fat ass to work and the store. If I dig this person out of their snowtrap, then the chances that they will ditch the car are that much less. So I walk on past, out of love and consideration for those around me. I'm sorry you're too narrowminded to figure that out.


You don't seem too tolerant of Mr. & Mrs. Tailpipe.

So, you actually think that if you refuse to help some stranger get their car unstuck they will make a dramatic lifestyle change simply because you walked on by leaving them buried in the snow?

And you would do this out of love and consideration for them?

And since they're in a car in the snow it would be safe for you to assume that they don't already walk to work, or own, and regularly ride, a bike or that they must be fat?

I hope you take the time to stop and explain to them that what you are (not) doing is really your way of helping them. How else could they fully appreciate your selfless altruism?
mifflander
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am

Postby Sheppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:35 pm

mifflander wrote:You don't seem too tolerant of Mr. & Mrs. Tailpipe.

So, you actually think that if you refuse to help some stranger get their car unstuck they will make a dramatic lifestyle change simply because you walked on by leaving them buried in the snow?

And you would do this out of love and consideration for them?

And since they're in a car in the snow it would be safe for you to assume that they don't already walk to work, or own, and regularly ride, a bike or that they must be fat?

I hope you take the time to stop and explain to them that what you are (not) doing is really your way of helping them. How else could they fully appreciate your selfless altruism?


Normally I don't waste my time trying to engage people with less than ten posts. Usually they're some low-rent stooge who waltzes on here with no institutional knowledge, no intellectual background, no arguement, no critical thinking skills. But I will make an exception in the case of mifflander. I will make this exception this one time.

Mifflander: you are in idiot. I don't expect anybody to anything. It's all about the laws of averages. The odds that Johnny and Susan McConsumer will actually give up their car are increased when their car is perpetually stuck in snow. Odds are not a gurantee. I don't have time to try to explain to you right now why when someone says "odds are this will happen" doesn't neccesarily mean it is guaranteed to happen. I know shades of gray are scary, but we don't live in a black or white world. The sooner you come to grips with this, the better off you (and more coherent your posts) will be.

I know that this is intimidating to you. You would rather have a white man in a suit and a perm tell you what to think. You would rather cede your thought abilities to someone with a microphone and authoritative, entertaining delivery. You are venturing into a new realm here: independent thought as expressed through words. Congratulations! You've taken an important first step! But you are not there yet.
Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Sheppy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:39 pm

DEL the funky homosapien wrote:And sending people to prisons actually makes them want to be better people too, right?


Where the hell did this come from? You wanna talk about corrections? How about you correct yourself and your stupid way of saying things.[i]

I am anti-prison. Just because you think that everyone who steps to you should be locked up doesn't mean I do. Stop making assumptions.

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Hans$$Buttercup » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Sheppy wrote:Yeah, didja ever think that the reason you're depressed, the reason that you are confused about your place in the world, is that your name is so completly ridiculous and stupid? I mean, what's with the Dollar Signs? Are you trying to be like 50 Cent or something?

Also, maybe it's time to emulate real people instead of Spiderman. You can't climb walls and a travel around the city by swinging on webs. Stop trying.


Dude, you know an awful lot about the pop culture that you claim to loath. The name came from a stage name from a band. End of story. I am sorry it drives you mad, barking ferociously from a distance, writhing in some chair in front of a computer... You know, you remind me of one of those guys who needs to be peed on before he can get hard... Do you and your witty girlfriend invite to your wonderful condo the two other people in the world who could possibly relate to you over for twister on friday nights, resulting in an orgy of human excrement and bile? It's fine. No one is in a postion to judge. Just make sure you use some plastic covering for all your nice furnature and books.
Hans$$Buttercup
Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:32 am

Postby mifflander » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm

I feel so special. Someone from the clique acknowledged me. Your response is pretty much just what I expected. Thanks for not disappointing.

Speaking of odds, what would the odds be that after you refuse to help said fat ass in the cadillac/volvo extract their car from the snow that someone else who is a bit more helpful and a whole lot less self-righteous maybe comes along and helps them get unstuck anyway? I'd say the odds are pretty good of that happening.

All that love and consideration of your's goes right down the toilet, I guess. Unless you were planning on standing guard over Mr. and Mrs. Tailpipes's car making sure that no one else helps them, either, until they throw their hands up in disgust vowing to get rid of their car forever. What are the odds of that? Oh that's right, I shouldn't be putting anything in the form of a question since you won't be responding to me any longer.
mifflander
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am

Postby cattyr » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:04 pm

Sheppy wrote:I live my life in a tolerant, environmentally friendly manner.


Truly one for the books! Thanks Shep!
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: DPF dumdum!

Postby Korrigan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Hans$$Buttercup wrote:Do you and your witty girlfriend invite to your wonderful condo the two other people in the world who could possibly relate to you over for twister on friday nights, resulting in an orgy of human excrement and bile? It's fine. No one is in a postion to judge. Just make sure you use some plastic covering for all your nice furnature and books.


Don't assume you know everything about our man Sheppy! Just because Sheppy has a condo doesn't mean Sheppy has nice furniture. Or furniture at all.

Remember, Sheppy's a man on the move; and besides, without a TV, Sheppy probably hasn't owned a sofa in 20 years, either.

Or something.
Korrigan
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:18 pm

Postby Spoken Word » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:21 pm

Sheppy wrote:
Hans$$Buttercup wrote:So why respond to a question that doesn't pertain to you?


Let me tell you something, Hans$$Buttercup. I don't have time for your neanderthal approach to life, or your asinine screen name. I don't have time for it. Because unlike you, I am a succesful person. I think about my actions. I live a deliberate life. I read books and draw my own conclusions after careful study and consideration. I have a girlfriend with whose mind and sharp wit fill my downtown condo with many great musings and desires. I think.

You, on the other hand, react to stimuli. You don't think. You have been trained through repeated Pavlovian response to bellar loudly and pump your fist when Favre lands a long pass. You don't know the difference between Shiite and Sunni. Or Iraq and Iran. You seek out "news" that reinforces the narrow spectrum of your existence and panders to your own insecurities by making you feel superior over straw men like "libruls." You don't have a girlfriend.


LMAO! That is one helluva classic post. The irony of it all jumped off my computer screen and ran into my closet door and freed up inhibitions and exaltations long since ignored. And then I took a nap.
Spoken Word
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:49 pm
Location: Subconscious

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TeachInPeace and 3 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar