MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Vista

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Vista

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Good news about the newly released OS Microsoft Vista, that it has increased security, but what else did they do? If this article is accurate, I'm glad I'm on an Intel iMac. (Still have a PC for other applications but it NEVER goes online anymore.)

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

(some highlights below)

"Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge. During the installation process, users "activate" Vista by associating it with a particular computer or device and transmitting certain hardware information directly to Microsoft.

Even after installation, the legal agreement grants Microsoft the right to revalidate the software or to require users to reactivate it should they make changes to their computer components. In addition, it sets significant limits on the ability to copy or transfer the software, prohibiting anything more than a single backup copy and setting strict limits on transferring the software to different devices or users...."

AND THERE'S MORE:

"Last December, Peter Guttman, a computer scientist at the University of Auckland in New Zealand released a paper called "A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection." The paper pieced together the technical fine print behind Vista, unraveling numerous limitations in the new software seemingly installed at the direct request of Hollywood interests.

Guttman focused primarily on the restrictions associated with the ability to play back high-definition content from the next-generation DVDs such as Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (referred to as "premium content").

He noted that Vista intentionally degrades the picture quality of premium content when played on most computer monitors."

:shock:
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:06 am

The activation stuff was in XP, so it's old news. Vista has been fighting tooth and nail with the MPAA and other groups to make Vista certified for cable card use. I'm guessing that HD-DVD thing is one aspect. Annoying...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:03 pm

TAsunder wrote:The activation stuff was in XP, so it's old news. Vista has been fighting tooth and nail with the MPAA and other groups to make Vista certified for cable card use. I'm guessing that HD-DVD thing is one aspect. Annoying...

The HD-DVD thing is called HDCP, and it's inherent in DRM. You'll get the same results with any off-the-shelf HD-DVD or Blu-Ray device.

On a PC, you can buy a compliant video card (HDCP certified), OR, you can hack it, because happily a hack already exists. Can't hack it on your HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players though!

Vista's licensing is the same as XPs. The fine print from MS is always scary. And people always find ways around it.

If you think OSX will be free of HDCP or DRM, you've got another thing coming.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Vista

Postby Lily » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:01 pm

Vista could be a bigger loser than Microsoft ME. Even Dell has started to consider their options due to consumer input:

http://www.dellideastorm.com/article/show/61771

Personally, I can recommend the Linux Ubuntu distribution.Very easy installation and configuration and a good assortment of games to boot.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vista

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 pm

Lily wrote:Vista could be a bigger loser than Microsoft ME. Even Dell has started to consider their options due to consumer input:

http://www.dellideastorm.com/article/show/61771

Personally, I can recommend the Linux Ubuntu distribution.Very easy installation and configuration and a good assortment of games to boot.

As long as we're ripping on the top OS choices and posting semi-functional crap as a potential replacement (like turning in your SUV for a pinto with flat tires), I notice Dell still isn't considering offering OSX either...

As if Dell customers were known to have any kind of technical aptitude. I mean, they're buying a DELL, DUDE!

And NOTHING could be as big of a loser as ME.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Just tried it for the first time. Lame.
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:57 pm

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition which is pretty slick but I'll probably switch to Ubuntu once my motherboard is supported. At this point, there's very little software that I use that only runs under Windows. Plus, I'm planning on picking up a copy of VMWare Workstation and run my windows apps (mainly Visual Studio) in there. I love the fact that Ubuntu has releases every 6 months.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:01 pm

I'd happily triple boot to OSX if Jobs simply opened his OS up to any x86 hardware. I'm dual booting XP and Vista till I can run all my games on Vista without any hiccups.

Apple still gets off too much on raping people for hardware prices though, so until they give that up, it's MS for me.

Gaming is the only thing that keeps me on MS. Much like Mass Effect will force me to buy an Xbox 360 later this year, there are a myriad of titles forcing me to own and run Windows. The fact is, Windows runs 99% of the things I want it to run, and OSX only runs about 40% of them, including both hardware and software. If I had to wait for OSX driver updates for cutting edge video cards that I buy twice a year, I'd cry.

I like the interface of Vista so much that I haven't had to install WindowBlinds yet, and I do most of my non-gaming on it. It's no ME.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:50 am

Beer Moon, you're the only person mentioning OS X in this thread. The person providing the dellidea link mentioned a Linux variant, not OS X.

We understand it, you hate OS X, yet you still own it.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Vista

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:23 am

Lily wrote:I'm glad I'm on an Intel iMac. (Still have a PC for other applications but it NEVER goes online anymore.)
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby paulie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 am

juanton wrote:Beer Moon, you're the only person mentioning OS X in this thread. The person providing the dellidea link mentioned a Linux variant, not OS X.

i dont see where he mentions that he owns OSX. :?:
paulie
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:33 am

juanton wrote:We understand it, you hate OS X, yet you still own it.

Aw, c'mon, who doesn't enjoy reading a good, spittle-flecked rant about the operating system somebody doesn't like?
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:07 pm

paulie wrote:
juanton wrote:Beer Moon, you're the only person mentioning OS X in this thread. The person providing the dellidea link mentioned a Linux variant, not OS X.

i dont see where he mentions that he owns OSX. :?:

Woops, my bad. Near the bottom of this thread:

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#259951
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:18 pm

mrak wrote:

Aw, c'mon, who doesn't enjoy reading a good, spittle-flecked rant about the operating system somebody doesn't like?

Yet another benefit of modern technology: rain gear is not required to participate in this discussion.

And paulie, you know full well I have a Mac purchased from UW Swap sitting in my living room. Usually turned off - once I found out the video editing software for it costs an arm and a leg, and that the dualie G4 is 10x slower than my Opty at encoding.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Vista

Postby Lily » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:24 pm

Beer Moon wrote:
mrak wrote:

Yet another benefit of modern technology: rain gear is not required to participate in this discussion.

And paulie, you know full well I have a Mac purchased from UW Swap sitting in my living room. Usually turned off - once I found out the video editing software for it costs an arm and a leg, and that the dualie G4 is 10x slower than my Opty at encoding.

Mac OS X is certainly my preference for going online simply because it's more secure, and I use a lot of free open-source tools and applications. I have a PC on XP and another using Ubuntu. I've got a few games from Apple's web site but I'm not a big gamer. Glad Vista works for you Beer Moon but from what I've read so far I can't recommend it for my users because many of the applications used where I work are not compatible. I don't buy into the Mac vs PC debate either. I use whichever tool is appropriate for what I want to do. But I would have compare my Mac to a Mercedes and my PC a Honda Civic (never a Ford POS Pinto).
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games