MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Vista

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 pm

No shit. And all of those damn SUVs DRINK gas. I own one. I don't need any of my 'puters to drink more than they need because something is new.

I'm lowering my carbon foot print by not buying more than 1 high end video card per 3 years. Pearl Jam rocks....:)
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 pm

My cubicle-mate, recently bought a new computer. She didn't want Vista, at this time. Can't remember where she bought. She did say, there was only one model left, in that line, without Vista. Sounds like maybe there was a run on non-Vista 'puters.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:21 pm

a friend of mine way more into computers than i was telling me that apple has or will have a computer that allows either osx or vista to run at startup. anyone more familiar with this than i?
square
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm sure the Geek Squad wasn't offering any deals either. Does anyone know what the going rate is for an operating system (re)install/upgrade-o-matic, i.e. the latest Windows thing including labor?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:30 pm

square wrote:a friend of mine way more into computers than i was telling me that apple has or will have a computer that allows either osx or vista to run at startup. anyone more familiar with this than i?

Even better: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
As long as you're not all gamer centric, this should work. It's Mac Intel specific though.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 pm

square wrote:a friend of mine way more into computers than i was telling me that apple has or will have a computer that allows either osx or vista to run at startup. anyone more familiar with this than i?

On edit: ^^^ What juanton said. If you want more info, read on:

Every Mac in Apple's current product line runs on an Intel processor, and since they have Intel processors, they can run Windows, too.

The approach you described - choosing at startup - can be done with a utility from Apple. It's called Boot Camp:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

The utility is free - so, of course, Windows isn't included. You'll have to buy that separately.

I haven't tried installing Boot Camp, but I know that in its current beta status, it's not the most intuitive thing in the world. It's rumored to be more seamlessly integrated into the next major revision of the Mac OS.

An alternative to Boot Camp - the one I favor - is an application called Parallels Desktop. It's about $80 (not including the copy of Windows, which you will have to ante up for in this scenario too).

Taking advantage of the Intel Core processor's virtualization capabilities, it runs a virtual Windows PC in an application window on your Mac desktop. Using it, I literally have a Windows XP desktop running on my Mac while I compose this message in a Mac Web browser.

Which is better for you?

Use Boot Camp if you're a gamer. You'll need maximum performance, and you can't get it by dividing your Mac's processing power by running OS X and Windows simultaneously.

If you like to go back and forth between the two OSes, use Parallels. I design Web sites, so it lets me make changes to a Web page and immediately test the changes in several Windows and Mac browsers. I need that more than I need raw speed running either OS.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:59 am

juanton wrote:Even better: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/
As long as you're not all gamer centric, this should work. It's Mac Intel specific though.

Actually not true. My work PC is running Ubuntu natively, and Parallels Workstation with Windows XP as a "guest" OS. I had it set up like that for almost a year. I use Ubuntu for 95% of my work, and switch to the XP when I need to (no need for a reboot). Works great, and I can make a back-up of my whole Windows XP virtual machine for easy recovery if/when it gets corrupted. Can also copy and paste from Linux into Windows. I can also copy the virtual machine to an external HD and use it on my laptop (also running Ubuntu).
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 am

doddles wrote:

Actually not true. My work PC is running Ubuntu natively, and Parallels Workstation with Windows XP as a "guest" OS. I had it set up like that for almost a year. I use Ubuntu for 95% of my work, and switch to the XP when I need to (no need for a reboot). Works great, and I can make a back-up of my whole Windows XP virtual machine for easy recovery if/when it gets corrupted. Can also copy and paste from Linux into Windows. I can also copy the virtual machine to an external HD and use it on my laptop (also running Ubuntu).

I stand corrected. I meant the windows and OS X mix.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doddles » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:08 am

juanton wrote:
doddles wrote:

I stand corrected. I meant the windows and OS X mix.

No prob. Nice piece of software for either OSX or Linux. And going back to one of the original points being made about Windows - it's easy to backup an entire virtual machine without running into problems with Windows' restricted copy protection etc.
doddles
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

For those interested in using Parallels or other virtualization products, on any hardware platform:

Microsoft has updated their license agreements for Vista to forbid using its Home editions in a virtualization situation:
http://parallelsvirtualization.blogspot ... n-for.html

They allow the use of the Business and Ultimate Editions, but forbid you to use them to access or run anything protected by Microsoft's DRM.

I think that decision is regrettable and short-sighted.

Windows XP is licensed with no such restrictions, and is a perfectly good OS. Those who are interested in using a technology like Parallels should probably consider getting a copy of XP while it's still on the market.

None of this applies to Mac users who boot into Windows using Boot Camp, as that isn't a virtualization scenario.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:26 pm

today I saw david pogue speak - he was running vista with parallels on his mac. he has a funny podcast about vista.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Vista

Postby Lily » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Actually, I have installed bootcamp on several Macs using OS X(10.4) and Windows XP. You need to pay strict attention to the installation instructions, especially when partitioning the drive, and you'll be okay. My adivce is to do your research to make sure Vista supports the applications you use. Reverting to your previous operating system, after installing Vista, is a pain.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games