MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Memories of Atari 2600

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:10 am

MadMind wrote: Emulations they may be, but it isn't difficult to emulate older games, therefore you're not going to be able to tell the difference.

Uh ... no offense, but sez you.
If you're talking about downloading the original ROMs and playing them on emulators on your PC, then you're (mostly) correct. But my understanding from browsing the geekery over at atariage.com is that the PS2 games aren't the original ROMs, they are remakes. I know for a fact those plug-and-play joysticks aren't the original games and although I haven't personally played the Atari games on the PS2, I recently purchased a PC CD of old Intellivision games and they are noticeably different in lots of ways - I don't see why the Atari games would be any different.
MadMind wrote:The big downside of course to playing emulated Atari games on the PS2, or any other format, is the lack of trackball & paddles. The paddle games especially are nearly impossible to play on consoles (Breakout!).

First of all, that's a pretty big downside. Kaboom! is one of my all-time favorite games, and I'm a pretty big fan of Circus Atari, Warlords, Night Driver and Astroblast (which works with a joystick, but ain't nearly as good) - not to mention Indy 500, which requires the special driving paddle.
But really, MM, I'm not sure why you think playing an emulated game on a completely different system is somehow the same or equivalent, but it just ain't.
MadMind wrote:Let's run this down. For the price of a PS2 ($130 Retail) and Activision Anthology and Atari Anthology ($30 for both games approx.)...
That'd be around $160 for 133 Atari 2600 games. Taking into account that some cartridges are more rare than others, to purchase 133 Atari 2600 catridges these days could run you more than $160.
Just sayin'...

That's all well and good (even if I'd need to buy TWO Activision anthologies to get all the games I would want), but I already own the Atari consoles and a buttload of games and I have for years. Why would I want to re-buy a bunch of games I already own to play them in (what I consider to be) an inferior fashion?
Furthermore, you're wrong about the difference in price, as a quick search of eBay would've made clear:
Atari 2600 HUGE game lot of 103!! Final price: $102.50
Atari 2600 system, 61 Different Games, Lot, Tested!! Loads of Accesories ... Final price: $56.00
Huge lot of - 40 - ATARI 2600 games Final price: $41.00
And so on ...

Sure SOME games are really expensive, but here's a general fact about rarity: the more rare a game is, the crappier it is. The most expensive games around for the Atari are pretty much worthless except to collectors. So sure, I could get an emulated Quadrun for a lot less than the hundreds of dollars it goes for on the collector's market, but so what? It blows - so who cares?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:32 am

I grew up playing the Atari 2600, and I agree nothing can replace the real thing, I'm not trying to argue that point. I'm just trying to say that classic gaming compilations are a great alternative to tracking down hundreds of games. Playing them on newer consoles is like having the best of both worlds. I'm also a sucker for the extras included in classic gaming compilations such as history, faq's, developer videos, original game commercials etc.

There may be microscopic differences in the console emulations of 2600 games, differences that don't affect the gameplay, but we're talking differences that are only noticeable to the trained & critical eye.

You're right, not being to (accurately) play original trackball & paddle games is a big downside in concern to emulated 2600 games or arcade games, but it's unrealistic to expect to have every single outdated oddball controller to be faithfully recreated just for use with classic gaming collections. Some things just cannot be recreated at home (Paperboy anyone?)
Some of the trackball and paddle games are somewhat playable with an analog stick, but it's no guarantee and sometimes takes a bit of tinkering.

That said, some of your favorite paddle games like Canyon Bomber, Circus Atari, Night Driver, and Warlords can be found (in paddle form) on Jakks Pacific Atari Paddle. Astroblast is entirely playable (with an analog stick) on Intellivision Lives!.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:50 am

MadMind wrote:Astroblast is entirely playable (with an analog stick) on Intellivision Lives!.

No, no, no.

First of all, you can play Astroblast on the 2600 with a joystick or paddles, but it plays much better with the paddle.
Secondly, you cannot play Astroblast on the Intellivision or on Intellivision Lives! - for Intellivision, it was called Astrosmash and, strangely, it is inferior to the Atari port, which plays much smoother.

Anyway, here's the latest reason to own a bona fide Atari console: Lady Bug
Oh yeah!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:04 am

Conqest of Mars, bitchez.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:14 pm

The Strong National Museum of Play has nominated the Atari 2600 for its National Toy Hall of Fame, and deservedly so.

http://www.strongmuseum.org/press/press.html
(click on the third link from the top, entitled "National Toy Hall of Fame® Induction Celebration November 11 & 12")

The twelve toy finalists being considered for 2006 induction are: Atari® Game System, Big Wheel, Easy-Bake® Oven, Lite-Brite, Fisher-Price® Little People, Hot Wheels®, Lionel® Trains, Operation Skill Game, PEZ® Candy Dispenser, Rubber Duck, Skateboard, and Twister®.

So, not only is the Atari up against some heavy competition, just look at the toys that have already been inducted!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:01 pm

Atari *sigh*, those were the days. That's where home gaming all started for me. I was so excited to be able play the same games at home that I did at the Space Port Arcade on State Street or at the Aladdin's Castle in East Towne.

Another early gaming memory was playing Defender on my neighbor's Commodor 64.

Good ol' joysticks, heh.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 am

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:40 am

That is insane. It did only get one vote though, thankfully.

I once put up my rare Atari 5200 Star Wars Arcade cartridge on ebay for a starting price of $20 (the price I paid for it) and it got no attention.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:20 am

MadMind wrote:That is insane. It did only get one vote though, thankfully.

Then whaddya make of this one?

5 bids, up to $2500 and the reserve's still not met!

And here I have a hard time justifying spending more than $5 for an Atari cart ...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
MadMind wrote:That is insane. It did only get one vote though, thankfully.

Then whaddya make of this one?

And now it's all mine! Muah ha ha ha ha, Muah ha ha ha ha. It's only the best game ever made!
...ridiculous...
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:19 pm

MadMind wrote:It's only the best game ever made!
...ridiculous...

Well, yes and no.
It's selling as a collectible, not as a game.
If you just wanna play the game, you can download the ROM on the web.

So, although I would never shell out for such a thing, it's no sillier than someone spending $5000 on a work of art, some antique furniture, a rare coin or anything else that people with cash to spare collect. And this particular game truly is one of the Holy Grails of Atari collecting (it was only made available to people who already owned a copy of Magicard, itself one of the rarest of all cartridges) so it's no surprise that someone snatched it up (even reproductions of this game, made by other hobbyists, fetch $100 or so.) But let's not think there were too many people clamoring to score it - I'd guess there's only a couple dozen collectors in the world nutty enough to even consider adding this to their horde.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:53 pm

Hey Wags! I can see you but you can't see me. Ha Ha!

There is something pathetic about a grown man who still plays video games. Do you still have your he-man and Skelator figurines?

Hey Wags! Bite Me. What's the name of your band theoutoftunes - apt name.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:22 pm

harrissimo wrote:Hey Wags! Bite Me. What's the name of your band theoutoftunes - apt name.

Nice, harassimo. How dare you misspell our awesomely appropriate band name? No one's EVER misspelled our name before! That's it, we're changing our name back to Ler E's Byrd & French Lique. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that spelling.

Check out the WSJ this Sunday for a story on the 'Toons and the Simpsons Pub Quiz happening that night at the Momo.

[/shameless]
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:31 pm

Hey, I will check out that article in the WSJ. What's the name of the band again - the OutOfPoons - must be a bunch of horny guys.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Biggie Johnson and The Knee Hangers. We're awesome.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games